PDA

View Full Version : Help electric fan stopped coming on

glenngw3
08/05/2011, 12:39 PM
I just bought a 99 with 106K and the electric fan stopped coming on. It worked on the way home, then I tried to blow the horn, but it didn't work. The ground wire wasn't connected and I don't know if I blew a relay or fuse. I checked all the fuses under the dash and engine compartment and they all were good. Any ideas would greatly be appreciately since it's in the high 90's here and I can't run the air. Thanks

Y33TREKker
08/05/2011, 02:41 PM
At first glance, I didn't see any shared circuits between the horn and A/C systems in the schematics that would make one influence the other, but I'll keep looking to make sure.

Does the "A/C" indicator light in the HVAC controls come on when you push the A/C button?

And are you also saying that the A/C system continues to blow cold air (and the compressor continues to cycle) even though the fan doesn't run? I'm thinking that wouldn't happen if the system pressure was low because of operating conditions not being met to satisfy the Triple Pressure system switch.

If those things do happen though, and the fan doesn't run, it could mean that the fan itself is bad. You can test the fan though by disconnecting it's connector and applying battery power directly to the following fan connector contacts.

Battery power (+) to connector terminal #1
Battery negative (-) to connector terminal #2

glenngw3
08/05/2011, 02:52 PM
The light doesn't come on, but cool air came out. The air was starting to get warmer before the fan stopped working. Should I add freon to system to see if that helps. Thanks for the help.

Y33TREKker
08/05/2011, 04:00 PM
I think it would be a good next step to at least have the pressure/charge of your A/C system checked by someone with the proper gauges. A currently low system pressure/charge could be causing the problem you're experiencing. (At least with the A/C system. I think the horn is a separate problem).

Was there any mention during the sale of any current problems with the A/C system? (leaks, bad compressor, etc?)

glenngw3
08/05/2011, 04:41 PM
No, the guy said it was fine. I really appreciate the advice. I will have ac checked next week

Y33TREKker
08/05/2011, 05:04 PM
Hopefully that's all that's causing the problem, but I'm by no means an A/C expert, so other opinions are welcome in the meantime.

Scott Harness
08/06/2011, 10:54 AM
My fan has never been connected since I bought it in 2004.A/C works perfect in Texas summers,temp gauge stays in acceptable range:yesb:

rowhard
08/07/2011, 04:11 AM
At first glance, I didn't see any shared circuits between the horn and A/C systems in the schematics that would make one influence the other, but I'll keep looking to make sure.

While your looking, see if you can see a connection between my right turn signal/ tail light. They both blink, brake light cancels the tail light flash.:upsetgray

Marlin
08/07/2011, 06:17 AM
Not sure why you have two threads discussing this problem, here is the info you need....again:)

See page 1A-52 of the VX shop manual that can be found under the downloads section to the left. I highly recommend perusing the manual, not everything between the model years is the same, but its close enough.

There is a good troubleshooting chart in there as well. I HIGHLY recommend you download the PDF and read it front to back, or at least scan through it. There is a ton of good stuff in there.

Welcome to the club/sickness, we currently have no support groups, only enablers!

glenngw3
08/07/2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone

Y33TREKker
08/07/2011, 10:08 AM
While your looking, see if you can see a connection between my right turn signal/ tail light. They both blink, brake light cancels the tail light flash.:upsetgray
When you say "right turn signal", do you mean the side marker light below the gas filler, or are all the lights you're referring to in the taillight assembly?

And for further reference, has anyone done Monchas' "Flashing Front Corner Marker Light Mod", Tones' "Rear Sidemarker Conversion to Turn Signal mod", or simply added trailer hitch wiring to your VX? If not, I'd personally start by just looking at the bulbs themselves to check for burnt elements.