PDA

View Full Version : New noise.

crager34
08/01/2011, 04:13 AM
When I press the brake pedal and hold it, such as at a red light, I get a cricket/cicada (soft) sound coming from it. It only stops when I let it go. My ABS light is on, so wondering if those two are connected somehow?

Any thoughts on this one? :?: :_confused

Ldub
08/01/2011, 05:37 AM
Do you get the "cLuNk" sound when you let go the brakes?, especially after a harder stop?

crager34
08/01/2011, 12:30 PM
Do you get the "cLuNk" sound when you let go the brakes?, especially after a harder stop?

I will pay attention a bit more to this, but thinking back it seems I do from time to time. I know we have some normal, hard shifting and never really thought about it much.

SlowPro48
08/01/2011, 01:55 PM
No connection.

Pop the bonnet and twist the rubber bumpers out a turn or two to get rid of the chirping.

Send your ABS controller and $85 to the guy in Virginia to get rid of the ABS light.

Ldub
08/01/2011, 03:51 PM
I will pay attention a bit more to this, but thinking back it seems I do from time to time. I know we have some normal, hard shifting and never really thought about it much.

Does the noise go away when you release the brake & put it in neutral?

Triathlete
08/01/2011, 04:54 PM
I keep telling you guys...you just need to turn your stereo up more! All those lttle noises will then disappear...AMFM! :)

Ldub
08/01/2011, 05:22 PM
I keep telling you guys...you just need to turn your stereo up more! All those lttle noises will then disappear...AMFM! :)

Billy, go sit by your dish, I'm try'n to help Crager here...:laughing:

crager34
08/01/2011, 07:16 PM
Does the noise go away when you release the brake & put it in neutral?

Yep.... noise goes away when I release the brake. Not there any other time. Prolly just one of those things, she is getting a bit old. Running great though..... gas mileage is decent, no been over heating....at all.

Yeah.... prolly just me.

Ldub
08/01/2011, 07:36 PM
Yep.... noise goes away when I release the brake. Not there any other time. Prolly just one of those things, she is getting a bit old. Running great though..... gas mileage is decent, no been over heating....at all.

Yeah.... prolly just me.

NO, not just you. Your cicada description kinda adds to the description in my mind as a "whirring", though whirring was never completely accurate as a description IMO. If that sounds familiar, I've noticed & suffered with it for years...:(

We should start a 12 step program, for the benefit of the forum...:yes:

But I am serious about your description adding another element to my description of "the noise"...:yesgray:

Triathlete
08/01/2011, 07:54 PM
Just sounds like you need to add a bit of fiber to your diet Dub! :)

Ldub
08/01/2011, 08:00 PM
Just sounds like you need to add a bit of fiber to your diet Dub! :)

CARBON, that is...:yesgray:

mdwyer
08/01/2011, 08:09 PM

Wait... does this mean you know what this is? It has never been scary enough to track down. I just assumed it was assorted play in the myriad mechanics involved in getting power from the engine to the wheels. If this is something I should be looking into, I'd like to hear it.

When I press the brake pedal and hold it, such as at a red light, I get a cricket/cicada (soft) sound coming from it.

Coming from the pedal area? It is a chirping noise? Something like a loose belt noise? If it was power steering, I could make some stuff up, but for the brake, I've got nothing... How about a hissing noise? The brake booster runs on vacuum, so a vacuum leak might sound like rushing air.

Ldub
08/01/2011, 08:20 PM
Wait... does this mean you know what this is? It has never been scary enough to track down. I just assumed it was assorted play in the myriad mechanics involved in getting power from the engine to the wheels. If this is something I should be looking into, I'd like to hear it.

NO...I wish I knew 4 sure what it is, I'm doing research here...:yesgray:

Coming from the pedal area? It is a chirping noise? Something like a loose belt noise? If it was power steering, I could make some stuff up, but for the brake, I've got nothing... How about a hissing noise? The brake booster runs on vacuum, so a vacuum leak might sound like rushing air.

The noise I experience is REALLY hard to describe, & I'm always too "forgetful" (:_beer:) in Moab to listen to, oh I duuno...14 - 20 other VX's...:rolleyesg

Ahhhhhhh...priorities...:slap:

Vendetta
08/02/2011, 06:48 AM
No connection.

Pop the hood and twist the rubber bumpers out a turn or two to get rid of the chirping.

Did you try this? I had this problem years ago, and had forgotten all about it until I read this post. This is all it was.

-V

Ebenezr
08/02/2011, 09:38 AM

Dub what are you thinking behind this question. Reason I ask is I have put up with a lot of clunk ,tap, creak at a stop. Seems to be link to the braking. It is not driveline clunk I am convinced of that. All tie rod ends, ball joints, and cv joints have been replaced. Its so bad I had a passenger commenting on it. I have wondered if I have play in my trailing links or torsion bars or control arm bushings. Sorry to hijack the thread. :o

Triathlete
08/02/2011, 11:27 AM
I had bad control arm bushings and the symthoms were very differant. I would get a rythmic bad vibration from the bad side that would yank the steering wheel like the tire had a flat spot in it...but it would only happen during normal accelerations and usually stopped past 40-45mph. There is a tread on here somewhere about it.

Back to somewhat on topic, a somewhat common cause of clunking during acceleration/ braking is the tramsmission mount bolts loosening/ falling out. Myself included, several on here have had this happen.

The creaking during braking I think is normal in older drivetrains. When stopping, the car is still trying to go forward while in gear and idling so suspension part will creak.

crager34
08/02/2011, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=Triathlete;235998]I had bad control arm bushings and the symthoms were very differant. I would get a rythmic bad vibration.... QUOTE]

Maybe this is what is going on that tapping under my feet. More to check out.

Went to lunch with a co-worker and she commented on my faded paint. I said: My car is old.... paint means nothing to me if the engine isn't working, so that is where the money goes. Preventative and otherwise.

MSHardeman
08/02/2011, 01:50 PM
Could some of this brake "clunking" be loose calipers, or maybe the parking brake shoes are out of whack in the back. (yeah, that rhymes).

Triathlete
08/02/2011, 03:33 PM
Crager...I could strongly feel it in the steering wheel. When the cont arm bushings are bad it allows the cont arm to move around...almost feels like one wheel (in my case the pass side was bad) is driving on bad wash-boarded road or the rumble strips on the side of the road only way worse.

mdwyer
08/02/2011, 11:53 PM
Could some of this brake "clunking" be loose calipers, or maybe the parking brake shoes are out of whack in the back. (yeah, that rhymes).

Well, my clunking followed me even after the dealer replaced the brakes. I assume they would have at least commented on that at the time. On the other hand, we are talking about a dealership...

I'm going to go look at the transmission mounts, though. I also see that the non-threadjacked discussion (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9674) has become active again, so I'll go re-read that, too...

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack. The original original thread was about a chirping brake pedal! :bwgy: Sooooo, anyway, we're not talking about that kind of all-over squeaking that the brakes do when they're just at the edge of holding you at a stop? eg, the noise doesn't go away when you really stomp on the brakes?