PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Bearing in the AC Compressor.

O Hell No O
07/27/2011, 02:30 PM
How? HOW?

So, its got to the point where I can't stand the noise comming from the AC while its off. When I spin the wheel, its to the slightest stiff and doesn't spin freely. So I would need to replace or clean out the bearing. I've seen videos but none that seems to have the same removal remedy as this one here. I got the bolt off the middle section, I just can't get the plate off! :( Help!

So my questions...

How do I remove the front plate off the compressor while its on the VX to get to that bearing?

Also, if I wanted to clean out the bearing, what kind of lubricant should I use?

Thanks guys!

Gizmo42
08/01/2011, 10:24 AM
Cleaning the bearing wont do any good. Its a sealed bearing and by the time it gets to the point of making noise, its toast. From what I have read recently you cant change the bearing in it. It is pressed in then the metal of the clutch housing is pressed over to hold it in place. I think you have to buy a whole new clutch assembly. As to how to get it off, I dont know (sorry). I've never done one.

alterastro
08/02/2011, 09:03 AM
You can replace the bearing, I did mine not too long ago. But I wouldn't attempt it whilst still attrached! Remove the compressor from the vehicle first, which will mean de-gassing and regassing when done. Removing the compressor is surprisingly easy - just 4 bolts + the two for the pipes, one electrical connector and she comes out through the gap in the wheel arch. At least she did on mine, but then again I have a JDM one so a right hand drive - yours may not be so easy! I am also assuming that your compressor uses the same bearing as mine:

You need a 35BG05S16G2D - Air Con brearing, 35 x 55 x 20
It is £16.50 +vat and shipping. I got mine from Bearing Supplies Limited - 01603 891800 in the UK, but I'm sure you'll find one nearer.

Section 1A of the workshop manual available to download from here describes the process for replacing the bearing.

You can get a smaller belt to bypass the aircon whilst it is off or if the noise is unbearable.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Nick

Marlin
08/02/2011, 10:25 AM
Great info, but his 01 compressor is COMPLETELY different than the previous models. One of the oddball differences between the model years. I went through this, ended up having to get a compressor off of an 02 trooper. It will fit, trust me. It looks like it won't, since it is bigger, but it will squeeze in there. I have had it on for over 2 years now, no problems. I tried Autozone, pepboys etc...they have the wrong part number listed for the 01 VX. I found this out after ordering at local store and trying to fit it up. the older VX uses a GM ac compressor, the 01 uses an Isuzu compressor. A junkyard rep on ebay explained that to me.
I have never found the replacement part for the clutch assembly for the 01 VX.