PDA

View Full Version : It seems like my rear seal is leaking

blacksambo
07/25/2011, 07:51 PM
It seems like my rear seal is leaking. I've changed the PCV, and the filler cap seal recently. I wonder if BAR's sealent or some other concoction would help. I'm using Mobil 1 High Mileage oil, 10W 30. Maybe that's too thin for 138K miles?

tom4bren
07/26/2011, 09:10 AM
Depends????

VX KAT
07/26/2011, 12:06 PM
Depends????
:laughing:
:rotate:

blacksambo
07/26/2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks. I'm going to try a different PCV first.

VX KAT
07/26/2011, 02:34 PM
I'm just curious, how would the PCV affect a leaking rear seal? Maybe I'm not clear on what the rear seal is that you're referring to?

Ldub
07/26/2011, 07:26 PM
It seems like my rear seal is leaking. I've changed the PCV, and the filler cap seal recently. I wonder if BAR's sealent or some other concoction would help. I'm using Mobil 1 High Mileage oil, 10W 30. Maybe that's too thin for 138K miles?

I dunno that I'd go too much thicker on the viscosity. The closer tolerances on a modern quad cam lump require the lubricant to be able to move through those same tolerances to be effective.

Are you gonna replace the crank too?

Ldub
07/26/2011, 07:28 PM
I'm just curious, how would the PCV affect a leaking rear seal? Maybe I'm not clear on what the rear seal is that you're referring to?

Rear main crankshaft seal...would leak more with increased crank case pressure.

blacksambo
07/26/2011, 09:15 PM
Thank you.

I changed to synthetic after 65K. The maun seal leak seems to be intermitment. It got better after I changed to High Mileage oil that addresses main seal issues, but that was during colder weather. I'm going to replace the PCV, and then watch. If it persists, then maybe Bar's main seal sealent additive? I hate to pull the tranny for such a small leak, but it bothers me and synthetic oil is expensive to keep pouring into a leaky crank case. (Is there anything elae that can leak directly above the main seal area? Probably not. )