PDA

View Full Version : Rear Rotor Replacement require hub/bearing repack like fronts?

CowboyErik
07/12/2011, 10:06 PM
Are the REAR rotors as hard as the fronts? I let my original rear pad wear down, started grinding over the holiday weekend, thought it was my fronts again, but I totally renewed them, doing bearings, rotors and pads last year, checked them, they are fine; so it's the rears, is replacing the REAR rotors same as the fronts? gotta pull the hub to get rotor off? Hoping they just fall away without having to pull the hub!

mantis
07/13/2011, 01:54 AM
not at all, its a piece of cake, just remove the 2 bolts (17mm) of brake assembly which is the only thing that secures the rotor. i got a pair from shocks auto parts and they're working pretty good.

Marlin
07/16/2011, 04:11 AM
Pray you never have to replace rear wheel bearings. It requires a larger than 20 ton press. No fun, no fun at all. I just did rear wheel bearings on my wife's trooper RS, and for you new VXers, and old alike, the VX is not as special as you think. The RS is pretty much identical except TOD and the 3.2l. The VX has a wider front end, due to the upper control arm and a longer lower ball joint, some in the Zu world refer to it as the "wide track" upgrade.

Ooops, completely off topic. Brakes are easy on the VX all the way around. Have fun!!!

mantis
07/16/2011, 07:04 AM
i don't remember the brand, as long as its brand new to me it means it'll do the job, i replaced brake pads along with rotors, once i got it done and took the truck for a test drive i loved the quick response from brakes.

p_justin13
07/18/2011, 03:31 PM
Just did the R1 concepts Drilled at slotted from ebay work great! Also as Marlin said if you choose to do the bearings it's a Bi**ch! Just doing the rotors takes less than 20 minutes. My little sister could do it

BeeVenom
07/19/2011, 06:12 PM
Rears are super simple.....especially compared with front rotor/bearings/seals replacement. Did everything on my 01 in my garage during the winter months and took my time. The R1 concepts rotors are the ones i used too and i am extremely pleased with stopping power. Anyway, the rears are a simple 'pull off the old....put on the new' process. Not a big deal at all! Scott

Greasemonkey
07/20/2011, 08:26 AM
I would just like to say -
Don't forget to loosen the rear brake shoes first then re- adjust them after fitting the new rotor
otherwise you may find a very poor hand brake and have trouble fitting the new rotor
regards
Steve

Jonnie
01/25/2012, 08:33 PM
How you you re-adjust the rear brake shoes. Don't they adjust when you back up?

Triathlete
01/25/2012, 08:44 PM
You have discs in the rear...no shoes. Unless you are speaking of the emergency break...it has shoes but they do not self adjust.

Ldub
01/25/2012, 08:51 PM
I would just like to say -
Don't forget to loosen the rear brake shoes first then re- adjust them after fitting the new rotor
otherwise you may find a very poor hand brake and have trouble fitting the new rotor
regards
Steve

How you you re-adjust the rear brake shoes. Don't they adjust when you back up?

You have discs in the rear...no shoes. Unless you are speaking of the emergency break...it has shoes but they do not self adjust.

I believe Grease was recommending that you loosen the adjustment on the parking (drum) brake, to make r & r the rotor MUCH easier in many cases...:yesgray: