PDA

View Full Version : Another high idle problem

RAZ
07/11/2011, 12:54 PM
Hi
Just the other day my vehicross started idling between 2000 and 2500.
I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and changed the TPS and cleaned out the EGR. With no change, VX is not throwing any codes. About a month ago changed the FPR and ICV. If you start with the MAF unplugged will not stay running idle is to low. Fuel filter is old, could that be it or is there a way to test the MAF sensor? And where is the power steering presure senor I read about in some old treads causing high idle so I can cross that off the list of causes.
Thanks Steve

blacksambo
07/11/2011, 02:01 PM
Check your OBDII codes, first. If its 171 or 172 its common chamber gaskets, a common cause of high idle.

RAZ
07/11/2011, 04:38 PM
Dont have a engine check light and no codes to read

Bob Barker
07/11/2011, 06:54 PM
Fuel filter being old/dirty would most likely cause a low and rough idle, and poor performance. Not a high idle. You can test the MAF with a multimeter, I don't know off hand what the voltages should be though, could probably find them in one of the many manuals on this site. The power steering sensor would be found there as well, but I don't know where it is myself.

I do know I was getting a high idle a week or so ago, cleaned the IAC and MAF with carb parts cleaner and blew them both dry with a little compressed air. When you changed the IAC valve was the idle fine after that, or change shortly after, no change at all? Most high idles that don't throw a code will be an IAC issue, or base idle. Is it every time you start it idling high? Or just on occasion?

Bob Barker
07/11/2011, 06:54 PM
Oh, and when you turn the key to run before you start it, are you sure the CEL comes on? Just to make sure it's not burned out on you!

blacksambo
07/11/2011, 08:28 PM
Very good point.

Grif
07/11/2011, 09:53 PM
My high idle prob was a power steering line pressure sensor. No codes were ever thrown and no CEL light was on. Took a while but my mechanic nailed it by bypassing or removing the sensor, so far with no ill effects.

Not diagnosing your problem, just sayin'.

RAZ
07/12/2011, 04:27 AM
Yes the check engine light does work and I have a code reader and it passes.
Idle is high all the time for the last 4 days, When I changed the ICV it had a surging up and down indle but was good after that. I did clean MAF and IVC with sensor cleaner and blew both out with air. I looked for power steering sensor and only a few people mention it and I cant find it.

Thanks Steve

Bob Barker
07/12/2011, 04:39 AM
Looks like the power steering pressure sensor is the last thing to locate. Hopefully somone will chime in that knows where it's at!

RAZ
07/12/2011, 04:43 AM
The only way I can get the idle to slow down is to remove the MAF and hold it about 1/2 inch away from intake tube as you move it closer idle speeds up and away slow down till it dies. Found that out by accident. and yes Bob I think power sterring could be the problem.

Bob Barker
07/12/2011, 12:47 PM
Thaht moving the MAF to and from the rest of the intake just causes a massive air leak and very lean burn condition in each cylinder, since it's drawing in all that air behind the MAF that is not being metered and because of that the comp is not commanding any/very much fuel. It's a pretty dangerous thing to do to run an engine lean.

hughesdt
07/12/2011, 01:55 PM
The switch is on the bottom, as I recall, of the the power steering pump. In the mounting bracket there is a hole for the switch to come through. The wire is routed up the back of the pump and difficult to see or find. It does have an electrical connector that you can simply disconnect and see if that improves your idle.

Good luck, I didn't see it and pulled the wire out of the sensor when I removed the engine after double and triple checking all the wires connected to the motor.

Dan

circmand
07/12/2011, 02:15 PM
floor mats sliding up and pushing the throttle from underneath. Had it happen to my Amigo

Bob Barker
07/12/2011, 02:24 PM
That's a wierd one there!

RAZ
07/12/2011, 03:40 PM
Floor matts are checked and not by gas pedal. I was moving the MAF sensor just to see if it was working and by moving it alittle away engine speed would change so I think it is good. Took out the IVC out again and I cant move the plunger, should it move in and out by hand?

tjh
07/12/2011, 04:25 PM
loose battery terminals can cause the VX to have high idle issues.

Bob Barker
07/12/2011, 05:06 PM
When you say IVC, I want to be sure you are talking about the same thing as me. I call it IAC, Idle Air Control valve. It's a two torx screw piece plugged into the throttle, is that what you are talking about?

If so, I cleaned mine a few weeks ago and could not move it by hand. Other vehicles I've cleaned them on I could, but I'm not sure exactly how ours works. I do know mine is working correctly and I could not push it in.

and to add to that, I don't think an IAC can actually affect the throttle to that high, over 2kRPM. The don't have that much movement in them to open up enough air flow. Most will only allow RPM's to come up a few hundred or so not a thousand. I'd dig harder and find that sensor and try running with it unplugged, or bypassed.

RAZ
07/12/2011, 05:56 PM
Yea sorry its the IAC I thought for sure it was bad when I could not move it.
Did check the battery terminals when unhooked for a hour to reset the computer. Guess back to looking for the power steering switch does anyone have a picture if where it is?
Thanks Bob for all your help

Bob Barker
07/12/2011, 08:50 PM
I went and looked in the parking lot here at work and I'm not sure if this is it, but the wire coming from this connection runs into the bottom area of the P/S pump just behind the pulley. There is a sensor of some sort plugged in there, and this little plug I photo'd seems to be a connector coming from that and run back into the harness to the ecu probably.

Looking at this picture, there is a green/yellow stripe single wire in front of the hook on the "J" hard line behind it. This wire and connector are taped to the side of a loom of other wires. The bottom of this connector (not seen) has a black wire running to the sensor I described above.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/IMAG0167.jpg

I don't know if that connection runs from the sensor in question or not, but it's worth a try to disconnect and see what the engine idle does. If dissconected and the RPM doesn't return to normal don't quit on this being the cause. I'm not sure if just disconnecting the sensor will fix it, or if it has to be tricked some other way.

RAZ
07/13/2011, 08:11 AM
Well I messed around with that plug about an hour, could not get it apart and if I did dont know how I would plug it back in. So I messed around with the IAC again cleaned it sprayed alot of throttle body cleaner in the hole and tried pushing it in. Started and idle was good, I had that out about 5 times and it never changed the idle now when you start it or shut it off you can feel and hear the IAC moving. So for now I going to leave it alone and see how it is before buying a new one.
Thanks again

Bob Barker
07/13/2011, 11:59 AM
That's great news!