PDA

View Full Version : grinding sound, like worn pads grinding on rotor but now

CowboyErik
07/08/2011, 01:53 AM
I got something weird that started over the holiday weekend, grinding on rotors, I took the front brakes aparts, inspected, cleaned and put back, pads worn less than a millimeter, perfect shape, drive it, and still grinding or rumbling, using the emergency brake lever, there is not grinding, so I don't think it's my rears, going to take apart my rears cause I know those are under 50percent and I been meaning to change those anyways, front wheel bearings were packed last year, don't think it's that, both pumpkins were serviced last year, better check them, what else can make these sounds?

VX crazy
07/08/2011, 05:05 AM
I had the same thing last summer, did not do it when I used e brake either, it was a bad rear rotor, replaced both rear rotors and new brakes and it was gone.

vtvehix
08/31/2012, 07:15 PM
anyone have instructions are replacing the rear rotors and pads?

HeckaTrebeka
09/01/2012, 05:57 AM
anyone have instructions are replacing the rear rotors and pads?

1) Remove the rear wheels
2) Remove the calipers
3) Remove the rotors
4) Install the rotors
5) Install the calipers with the new pads
6) Install the rear wheels
7) ???
8) no profit

PK
09/01/2012, 02:21 PM
1) Remove the rear wheels
2) Remove the calipers
3) Remove the rotors - Goddam - what was that stuck on??? Oops, there goes a $200 ABS sensor.
4) Install the rotors
5) Install the calipers with the new pads
6) Install the rear wheels
7) ???
8) no profit

The procedure should be in the service manual that you can download from this site.
As well as the ABS sensor, there is the handbrake connection to remove if you are taking the calipers right off.

PK

IndianaVX
05/04/2013, 01:15 PM
Count me in the club.....I replaced the pads due to grinding, they needed replaced. after changing pads, the grinding was worse than when I had worn out pads! so I took the new pads off, got new hubs, packed all the bearings proper, even re-built the calipers! I even painted the calipers...did it all! looks great, and looked forward to a silent braking again, took a test drive, and the grinding continues! ARGH, this is frustrating to be turning heads, not because of what im driving, but because of the grinding of the brakes....they work well, they just grind!
Any suggestions?

evillecutter
05/15/2013, 06:43 AM
mine was the transfer case - thought it was the brakes or the power steering for months... hopefully its not you tcase grinding im having a bear of a time resourcing a few important parts for our unique to only our vehicle transfer case

IndianaVX
05/15/2013, 09:09 AM
A bit embarrassed here....I still haven't adjusted to 90% hearing loss in my left ear. all that said, it turned out that a inner pad, on the rear brakes was grinding! so that was an easy fix....the brakes are no longer grinding, BUT, the front brakes are squeeking like crazy! Even the neighbor kid was out shooting hoops, and was kind enough to tell me "Hey, your wheels are squeeking". yeah, I may be half deaf, but I can hear that.
Im 80% sure I preloaded the wheels tight, before loosening them again to the correct torque with the fishing scale. this is about the only thing I can think of that could be wrong. If I didn't, could that cause the squeeking when I apply the brakes?

evillecutter
05/15/2013, 11:10 AM
the only time brakes should squeak is when the metal tab hits to tell you that your pads need changing soon - they actually put the squeelers on the brake pads as a precaution - i have even bent this piece back before (on different vehicles) and got another 10k miles out of the brake pads without causing any harm

grinding is different...

...and you did what with a fishing scale???

IndianaVX
05/15/2013, 11:13 AM
I agree cutter, but these are brand new ceramics, well, probably have 75 miles on them now. its driving me insane.....or insane-er

evillecutter
05/15/2013, 11:17 AM
maybe the rotors need turned or are glazed over from the previous pads? ive never used ceramic pads but they should be superior to the others - new pads do have a breaking in period where you arent supposed to be hard on them maybe they got used too hard too early? either way just be happy its not your transfer case i havent seen the proton in 2 weeks and it doesnt look like i will any time soon

IndianaVX
05/15/2013, 11:45 AM
have new rotors, rebuilt calipers, cleaned the grease out for the caliper pins, and put new grease in the sockets, new clips, synthetic grease in repacked bearings and hub. even painted the calipers since I had them all apart anyway.
ive been there done that on the doing without the vx. there is a lengthy post on it somewhere on the forum....."timing belt jumped" took 3 months to get it back. hope it all turns out well for you. time away just makes you appreciate the truck even more.