PDA

View Full Version : Venting...ranting...yet another citation!

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 09:19 AM
OK, maybe I am just a bad, careless, heartless driver, but I have gotten 3 tickets in the last 12 months. Just got cited again today for going 52 in a 40 on a WIDE OPEN 4 lane back road here in Reno. IMO, that isn't even speeding! That's "normal" driving, I wasn't even in a hurry! :_brickwal

Now mind you, I know I was technically "breaking the law", but I guess I just have a problem with the fact that these motorcycle cops sit in spots like this, where they KNOW people will speed a little because its rush hour and it is a wide open back road. In my opinion, it just sucks. I know its not entrapement, but it FEELS like it. Its like leaving a $100 bill on the sidewalk and expecting people to walk by it.

And what really annoys me even more than getting pulled over, is the fact that I think almost all the speed limits in this country are about 10 mph to low. Yes, speed kills. Yes, there are idiots out there who can't drive. But the fact is, there are so many places (at least here in Reno) where the traffic is ALWAYS light, there are no schools or parks or driveways or ANYTHING on either side of the road, and you still see speed limits like 35 and 40 MPH. Its like they do it on purpose just so people will speed through these areas and get nabbed.

Why do cars show a 180 MPH on the speedo if there is nowhere to drive them that fast? Why do we even sell Porsches and Corvettes? What's the freakin' point?!?!

I think I am a safe driver. I don't text while driving. I wear my seatbelt all the time. I pay all my rego fees and keep my insurance in order. I go to work every day.

Sorry to those on here who work in the law enforcement field and probably disagree with me, but I just feel like this crap is just a way to make money for the city while twisting the screw into decent people who are just going to work. I hate it.

Bart

Ebenezr
06/30/2011, 09:25 AM
Yep, happens everywhere. Down herein fl. It's everyone makes right turns on red arrows but it's illegal. So who gets the ticket....you got it right . Me!

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 09:35 AM
I just hate how this country is just ooooozing closer and closer to a sterilized, boring, prohibitive, corrupt, capitalist hell hole where everything you do has to be "safe" or "restricted" or "toned down" or "politically correct" or basically ILLEGAL, and for what? To make a few liberal moms feel triumphant? :_huh:

I'm sorry, but when I was a kid, if my ball rolled out into the street, I made damn sure there were no cars coming before I ran out there to get it. And you know what, I don't care how old you are, but if you are STUPID enough to run out into traffic then you deserve to get run over, just like the squirrel. Its called natural selection, and I believe in it. Scraped knees and falling out of trees teach you VALUBLE LIFE LESSONS.

:evil: Bart

vt_maverick
06/30/2011, 09:51 AM
Preaching to the choir here, I just spent almost $1K to beat a reckless driving ticket in VA. Did you know that in VA the state traffic code begins with the phrase: "The purpose of the traffic code is to generate revenue for the Commonwealth of Virginia..."? I am not kidding. Can't speak for every state but I know in VA rarely is any kind of scientific study done to determine the most appropriate speed limit for a particular road, most of the time it's set by local government or voted on by the state assembly, whose motives may just as likely be profit as safety.

Either way, it's not like law enforcement doesn't make clear what will happen if you break the law. What is it they say? The definition of crazy is repeating the same action [3 times] and expecting a different result. ;)

I feel you brother.

tom4bren
06/30/2011, 09:53 AM
Personally, I think that they should put warning labels on basketballs that you should not hit one with a baseball bat.

That was one of 'life's lessons' that I could have done without.

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah, sure, like I said, I "broke the law". But imo, the "law" is wrong. Open road, dry, clear, prevailing conditions, THAT is what should dictate if you were in the wrong or not. Not some stupid "limit" imposed on traffic to make money or create the "illusion" of safety, because that's ALL that it is.

Bart

rsteinmetz70112
06/30/2011, 10:26 AM
Personally, I think that they should put warning labels on basketballs that you should not hit one with a baseball bat.

That was one of 'life's lessons' that I could have done without.

I was once driving in Atlanta in rush hour traffic. A ball came shooting out of the front yard I was passing. Immediately I hear a loud thump and saw a kid's face plastered on my window. The kid chasing the ball had run into the side of my slow moving red car. Knocked the kid silly. Scared the crap out of me.

mhill
06/30/2011, 11:02 AM
The speed limit exists to make the roads safer for all drivers. The good ones like yourself and the bad ones who never should have been given a license to start with.

Maybe an example will help ease the frustration. Should a squirrel, or dumb kid run out in front of you and you are going 55mph (82 feet per second) and you hit the brakes it will take you 144 feet to skid to a stop. Now if that dumb kid was not more than 144 feet away you are in some serious trouble now for "just going 10 over"!
Now if you were going the limit of 45mph (67 feet per second) you would skid to stop in about 99 feet. You just gave that kid 45 extra feet to live. Now if you are the sort that doesn't like kids anyways flip it around to what this means to you: no law suits, no jail time for manslaughter, no blood and guts to clean off of the VX and God forbid the kid had a hard head and damaged the expensive and hard to find front cladding! :freek:

On Monday this week I had a deposition on a civil law suit for just this reason. An employee of one of the electric companies (deep pockets) here in Phoenix made a u-turn in front of a vehicle going 15-17 over the speed limit. The other car lost control, crashed and is now suing the electric company. Well the wall she hit was 150 feet away and she would have stopped in 99 if she was going the speed limit. Doubt she is going to get much after all.

Now the scenarios above don't really apply to squirrels... they are 5 points! :smilewink

Drive safe or get a radar detector :thumbup:

JAMAS
06/30/2011, 11:05 AM
I got pulled over in my spyder 2 days ago. I was driving roughly the speed limit (40) and the two lanes became one so I sped up (to 50+) to get in front of a junker whose blind spot I was in. Right at that moment, I saw a cop drive the other direction. He turns on his lights and pulls a u-turn across 4 lanes of semi busy streets to come "get me". Luckily, I was polite (as always) and he informed me that he lived by me and recognized me after he came up to my window. Just got a warning. As Bart said, I was doing more than the speed limit, but had gauged the cause and effect of slamming on my breaks vs. punching it for a second.

My point..... Which of the two of us put more people at risk?

The guy is plenty nice and I waive to him every time I am out cutting the grass and he drives by, but who is out policing the police and their driving.

I know this isn't the point Bart is making, but it was cop/ticket stuff so I had to put my two pennies in.

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 11:20 AM
get a radar detector :thumbup:

That is the best advice actually. I need to do this, been thinking of getting one for years, just never have for some reason. I guess its time!

There's always a chance you can hit and kill someone or an animal or whatever. But to a person like me, c'est la vie. There's always a chance someone will buy a gun and go on a killing spree. That's life. I would rather live with the chance that this could happen than have my rights, liberties, and hobbies widdled away!

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 11:28 AM
I got pulled over in my spyder 2 days ago. I was driving roughly the speed limit (40) and the two lanes became one so I sped up (to 50+) to get in front of a junker whose blind spot I was in.

Yup, its stuff like this that gets me nabbed all the time too. That ticket I got in my Impulse last summer was the same. Some idiot was doing like 50mph in the fast lane. I sped up to pass him and in the process hit 75mph. The cop was there, right at that moment, and cited me. Maybe its bad luck, or karma, or whatever, but I think tickets should be issued on a per situation basis, not simply because the radar detected your speed higher than the limit. Why don't people who drive 45 in the fast lane get cited for obstructing traffic?

In my opinion, the speed limits should vary depending on road conditions and traffic. Why can't I go 90mph at 3:00am when there is no one on the road if I am driving safe? Or why can't I go 100mph on hwy 50 where there is NOTHING for 40+ miles but sage brush? Sure, I could hit a cow and kill myself, BUT THAT IS MY CHOICE.

Sorry, I just don't get it. Freedom lives on a razor's edge I guess. I need to look at the bright side. In other countries (like Japan and Australia), road rules and restrictions are way worse. This ticket just hit me while I was already having a bad week, and it was just the cherry on top I suppose.

:rotate: Bart

ZEUS
06/30/2011, 12:07 PM
Bart, I never ever break the law. Laws are in place for a reason and those who make them are ALWAYS right! Abide by the laws and you will have no problem - no innocent person has ever been sent to prison. Sport a halo and dress in white - it's the only way to live...

JAMAS
06/30/2011, 12:13 PM
Bart, I never ever break the law. Laws are in place for a reason and those who make them are ALWAYS right! Abide by the laws and you will have no problem - no innocent person has ever been sent to prison. Sport a halo and dress in white - it's the only way to live...

Hillarious

tom4bren
06/30/2011, 12:25 PM
ROFL. You crack me up 'Nanner Boy'

Vendetta
06/30/2011, 12:45 PM
I just hate how this country is just ooooozing closer and closer to a sterilized, boring, prohibitive, corrupt, capitalist hell hole where everything you do has to be "safe" or "restricted" or "toned down" or "politically correct" or basically ILLEGAL, and for what? To make a few liberal moms feel triumphant? :_huh:

I'm sorry, but when I was a kid, if my ball rolled out into the street, I made damn sure there were no cars coming before I ran out there to get it. And you know what, I don't care how old you are, but if you are STUPID enough to run out into traffic then you deserve to get run over, just like the squirrel. Its called natural selection, and I believe in it. Scraped knees and falling out of trees teach you VALUBLE LIFE LESSONS.

:evil: Bart

Agree on every. single. point. except that capitalism's got nothing to do with this. The nanny-state we're lamenting is on the other end of the spectrum.

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 01:59 PM

I knew you would pop in here with a comment like that!! :D

Agree on every. single. point. except that capitalism's got nothing to do with this. The nanny-state we're lamenting is on the other end of the spectrum.

I threw capitalism in there because its all about making money under the guise of safety....especially in the case of speed limits.

Anyway, if you're gonna play, you gotta pay, as they say, so I guess I should just accept it. :sady:

Bart

samneil2000
06/30/2011, 02:21 PM
Membership fee to the fast driving club....

Vendetta
06/30/2011, 02:42 PM
Yep...

Here in NY, especially on Long Island, the red light traffic cameras are popping up like weeds. They were instituted under the pretense of safety; that awareness of the cameras would cause people to approach intersections more carefully. Just from my personal observation, they're causing more problems than they're solving, because people SLAM on the brakes now when a light goes yellow - the duration of which is conspicuously shorter, too!

It's all about the Benjamins.

Riff Raff
06/30/2011, 02:43 PM
That is the best advice actually. I need to do this, been thinking of getting one for years, just never have for some reason. I guess its time!

x2. Yup, get the Valentine-1 at www.Valentine1.com and never look back!!! Get the best, forget the rest.

:bgwb:

Gussie2000
06/30/2011, 02:45 PM
Man,you are lucky is just one ticket you got to deal with.

In the past 6 months i got two tickets for tinted windows (To protect my vehicule,because unwanted individuals loves to "peek" inside my horse looking @ what they haven't lost in there), one for no wearing my seat belt while i was @ full stop just to reach my shade which fell on the ground and two cops where standing by looking at me,another one for having a obstructing item on my windshield ( My country's flag) which in my consideration is a insult because i just showing my proud (And almost every car in NYC has one ) ,another for speeding driving along with another vehicules the same speed ( i guess driving a unique vehicule draws unique attention ) and another for unreasonable noise (yes living in the loudest city of the US driving under one of the few subways running above ground on one of the most active and loudest places of NYC (Queens boulevard) is just incredible.

My mother who's a born north-american citizen always says that our political system is all a communist system in its own way & i certainly believe it.

Safety ? No way

If the goverment wanted to make the roads and streets safer they wouldn't allow car manufacturers to build cars that runs beyond the speed limits isn't ?

Vendetta
06/30/2011, 02:45 PM
x2. Yup, get the Valentine-1 at www.Valentine1.com and never look back!!! Get the best, forget the rest.

This. For real.

Osteomata
06/30/2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah the "capitalism" part kinda threw me in an otherwise internally consistent rant. Which I say as a person with some demonstrated liberal tendencies in quite a few areas.

Good site for you parents that are not on board with the wrap your kids in bubble wrap at all times society we seem to live in: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

And for the over swatification of mayberry, there are few better than Radley Balko:
http://www.theagitator.com/

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 02:59 PM

So you have one of these? Worth the money? $400....I have had 3 tickets in the last 12 months at $135 each, total = $405...so hmmm.... :D

Bart

Gussie2000
06/30/2011, 03:04 PM
Yep...

Here in NY, especially on Long Island, the red light traffic cameras are popping up like weeds. They were instituted under the pretense of safety; that awareness of the cameras would cause people to approach intersections more carefully. Just from my personal observation, they're causing more problems than they're solving, because people SLAM on the brakes now when a light goes yellow - the duration of which is conspicuously shorter, too!

It's all about the Benjamins.

That's right !

Last week i went to the TVB to contest one that i received in the mail.

I ask the judge who come that every single traffic light where those cameras are located switch from bright shinning green to scary red in matter of two seconds ? ( i check the time of each light ) He couldn't shout an answer

How a vehicule running @ 30mpg ( NYC's speed limit ) would come to a full stop in just two seconds ?

I explained the judge that i had to keep going after the red light 1rst because a was just one yard away from the crosswalk before the green light changed,the yellow light didn't even blink twice,2nd because the road was wet and icy ( it happened in january month ) so slamming my brakes could forced me to loose control and could cause a accident.

I was going 25mph because there was traffic so speeding wasn't a option under no conditions.

I am SO tired living in a city where its assembly,congress and senate is always thinking how to rip off its citizens. :mado:

I am SO tired of being used as a ATM machine to draw off money when they want. :madb:

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 03:08 PM
Good site for you parents that are not on board with the wrap your kids in bubble wrap at all times society we seem to live in: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

That's a brilliant site and I have only read a little bit!! I don't have kids and I don't want 'em, but damnit if I did they would be allowed to ride their bikes all summer long, to wherever they wanted WITHOUT A HELMET.

The freedom I enjoyed as a kid is irreplacable. I woudn't trade it for anything. Did I do stupid stuff? Absolutely!!! But did I learn stuff? Oh yeah! Just about everything that makes me who I am today!!! I wouldn't trade it for nuthin'!

A couple months ago my neighbors 8 year old son painted the town orange...literally. He and his buddy from down the street found some orange marker paint at a nearby consturction site. They proceeded to paint stuff. A lot of stuff. One of those things that they painted just happened to be the driver's side rear wheel and tire of my VX. Yup, the whole thing, rubber, wheel, center cap, dayglo orange. :_huh: My neighbor saw it before I did and tried to clean as much off as possible and brought the kid over crying to apologize. I was not happy, to say the least, but I was understanding. Every little kid (especially boys) do stuff like this, and they learn from it (hopefully) and turn out better because of it.

A couch and video games are the worst thing for any child.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 03:11 PM
I really don't want to talk about the red light cameras. Getting a ticket for one of those when I lived in Chicago was the final FU from that freakin' place before I moved.

I don't know about NY, but in Chicago the yellow lights are about 2 milliseconds long. Add to that fact that it is pretty much a nightmare to drive ANYWHERE in Chicagoland, and you have a recipe for serious anger and frustration.

Its freakin' criminal and completely unfair and unconstitutional if you ask me.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 03:14 PM
I am SO tired living in a city where its assembly,congress and senate is always thinking how to rip off its citizens. :mado:

I am SO tired of being used as a ATM machine to draw off money when they want. :madb:

You hit it on the head man!!!

I just realized, that I started this thread for one reason, because I got a ticket and I feel that I DID NOT deserve it. Pull me over, give me a warning, OK. But wait for the REAL speed demon. Wait for the 17 year old girl that you can see texting while driving. Wait for the seriously negligant. Don't screw over normal people going to work. It just makes us hate "the man" even more.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 03:23 PM
While I'm at it, I will add something funny.

The cop clocked me at 52 in a 40. I had my belt on and all my paper ducks in a row. I was polite and calm. I said 'sir'.

He said, "you know, over 10mph is 2 points on your license and about a $295 ticket, but have you had your speedometer calibrated lately?" Me, playing dumb, "calibrated? Huh?" Cop, "yeah, you look to have larger than stock tires on this thing and that can make your speedometer off by a few miles" Me, "oh really? (laughing inside as I hope he doesn't see my ScanGuage with MPH clearly visible :cool!: )". Cop, "yeah, so, why don't you take this thing into the dealer and see if they can calibrate your speedometer, might make a big difference. Then you can bring your receipts into the courthouse and present them to the judge and maybe they will drop the point and reduce your fine". Me, "Oh ok, maybe I'll do that, thank you, officer". Cop, "so, in light of that I am only going to cite you for 45mph which is only 1 point, so it won't get reported to your insurance." Me, "ok, thanks". (like he is doing me some big favor, which I suppose he was, by cutting me some slack, but I would say he is actually doing his conscience a favor).

Bart

ZEUS
06/30/2011, 03:43 PM
I dunno man, I have been pulled over by nice cops and pricks in uniform. Sounds to me like you got one of the nice cops. I start off nice after getting pulled over (been years though) and wait to see who I am dealing with. If I am dealing with a prick in uniform... it's on! I'll go toe to toe to make him feel like a toolbag. I shake the hand of a nice cop and tell him thanks for his courteousness before I drive away. Tickets suck but at least you didn't waste 45 minutes on the side of the road while he searched your car for something that wasn't there. Plus he gave you a discount! 12 over is excessive in my book - not that I don't do it myself here and there but anything over 5 I generally consider I had comin. The towns of Wyoming have speed limits of 30 mph all over the place - RIDICULOUS after living in a city with 45's everywhere...

Riff Raff
06/30/2011, 03:58 PM
So you have one of these? Worth the money? $400....I have had 3 tickets in the last 12 months at $135 each, total = $405...so hmmm.... :D

Bart

Bart--- Yes, I do own a Valentine-1 (since 1996) and it has saved my butt hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars in possible fines and higher insurance rates!!! It is worth every single penny and will give you total peace of mind knowing you've got the absolute best defense weapon against traffic cops. In addition; as technology advances and newer version Valentine-1 models are produced, you can have your original Valentine-1 "upgraded" with the lastest internal guts (see the website of www.Valentine1.com for further details).

It is one of the few products in the world that will actually pay for itself over time and will keep on saving you money. Never, never, settle for a cheaper radar detector that will only let you know you've already been caught by the traffic cop (too little, too late). Only the Valentine-1 gives you the "advance" warning you need in order to quickly react and reduce your speed before entering the radar danger zone area (then just smile as you slowly pass the traffic cop).

nfpgasmask
06/30/2011, 04:20 PM
I dunno man, 12 over is excessive in my book - not that I don't do it myself...

Man, imo, 12 over on a side street with the potential of kids around, hell a dog, and I would agree, but like I said, this is one of those spots here in Reno that is virtually ALWAYS traffic free (there was one other car on the road where I was going the same approximate speed I think) and surrounded by NOTHING. So imo, the speed I was going felt "normal" to me. Like I said, I was just putting along, I didn't feel like I was speeding, I didn't feel like I was in a rush. It is a perfect example of a spot where the speed limit should be 50, not 40.

Generally speaking, I always go 5-10 over the speed limit. I find that in today's modern world, with modern vehicles, even speed limits of 65 on the hwy is WAY too slow. I think almost all interstates should be 80mph. Maybe I am just a speed demon, but I think the WHOLE THING needs restructuring. I think at very least, speeds in excess of 80 should be restricted to the "fast lane". Middle lanes, maybe 65-70, and right lane for all other traffic.

Why make cars that exceed 70mph EASILY if you are not allowed ANYWHERE in the country to go faster than that on a public road? Its the 8th wonder of the world....oh wait, 9th, Andre the Giant was the 8th....:D

Bart

Vendetta
06/30/2011, 04:49 PM
5-10mph over, "excessive?" Lemme tell ya, you do 65 on the LIE (Long Island Expwy, 55mph limit) and you can expect a tow to show up and start pulling you along!

Natually the cops allow this 65-70ish speed by default, because it gives them license to pull over anyone at anytime without any (other) reason.

It's been years, since I got a ticket, but I'm the epitome of respect on the rare occasion I'm pulled over. That, plus I've got family on the job.

...PS? They generally agree with the consensus here.

Marlin
06/30/2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think it should be the actual number of mph over the speed limit that matters, but rather the percentage over. 12 over in a 40 is a lot! I occasionally speed, but 75 in a 70 is not much of a difference. I almost never speed in the VX, 34s make for slow going....lol. On the flipside, it is almost impossible to not speed in the F250, the sound of that big ol turbo spooling up, the cloud of soot if a really get on it, 550ftlbs of torque in your pants. Damn, good thing its hard to get nabbed for hard acceleration, just set the cruise and no worries.

I too have often wondered why there haven't been lawsuits for sports cars. Why sell a car like a Viper that can reach the speed limit in 4 seconds? First high speed death should be a suit against Dodge? If I can sue McDs for hot coffee, sue big tobacco for lung cancer, why not sue car company for fast cars? It does seem pointless.

Osteomata
06/30/2011, 04:59 PM
Red light cameras, nothing more than money making for the city, enabled by naive do gooders and alarmists on the local editorial boards:
http://blog.motorists.org/6-cities-that-were-caught-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/
http://www.theagitator.com/2008/03/13/study-says-red-light-cameras-cause-death-mayhem-acne/
http://www.theagitator.com/2010/12/06/red-light-cameras-working-exactly-as-intended-theyre-making-money/
http://reason.com/blog/2008/08/12/ladies-home-journals-red-light
http://www.officer.com/news/10247476/dead-baltimore-officer-signed-citations

Vendetta
06/30/2011, 05:11 PM
Marlin, Marlin, Marlin.... read your sig, my man. (Not that YOU would sue McD's, but you get what I'm sayin'.)

Marlin
06/30/2011, 05:14 PM
Red light cameras, nothing more than money making for the city, enabled by naive do gooders and alarmists on the local editorial boards:
http://blog.motorists.org/6-cities-that-were-caught-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/
http://www.theagitator.com/2008/03/13/study-says-red-light-cameras-cause-death-mayhem-acne/
http://www.theagitator.com/2010/12/06/red-light-cameras-working-exactly-as-intended-theyre-making-money/

Holy crap, I knew those things were a scam, but damn. There are some good articles in there. My last ticket was over 11 years ago, I ran through a yellow while the road was wet, I figured there was no way to stop safely.

Marlin
06/30/2011, 05:20 PM
Marlin, Marlin, Marlin.... read your sig, my man. (Not that YOU would sue McD's, but you get what I'm sayin'.)

HA! Nice try, that was my unclear attempt at sarcasm. I say to hell with the entire judicial system as it exists. There should be no such thing as lawyers. If a law requires a special degree to understand it, then the law needs to be rewritten. If you file a suit that is deemed trivial, the lawyer should have to pay a fee equal to what he was suing for if the judge throws it out. That would greatly reduce our ridiculous law suits.

On a side note....Eff the TSA!!!!

Back to our anti traffic-police thread.

FlyingV77
06/30/2011, 07:27 PM
What state has the speed limit of "Safe and Prudent"?

Riff Raff
06/30/2011, 07:33 PM
What state has the speed limit of "Safe and Prudent"?

That would be the State of Montana. However, Big-Rig Trucks are limited to 60 MPH.

tjh
06/30/2011, 07:41 PM
http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/speedlimits1.htm

RickOKC
06/30/2011, 10:08 PM
What bothers me so much about this subject is the feeling of complete betrayal. It's the expectation that the people I should trust the most (how I was raised) are now trying their damnedest to shake me down. Somehow "serve and protect" has mutated into something that feels more like "nitpick and extort." Yeah, enforce the law, but do so without the sneaky little traps and concentration on mindless minutia. I no longer trust an officer when he's driving behind me. I feel as if I'm being stalked as he waits for me to make any miniscule mistake so I pull off the road as soon as possible (hey, I can always buy a soda somewhere and enjoy it later even when I don't want one "right then.") I have a big problem with another imperfect being waiting to pounce on some minor imperfection in my driving.

Disclaimer: Haven't been pulled over in well over a decade; haven't had a ticket in about 2 decades.

Ldub
07/01/2011, 04:57 AM
That would be the State of Montana. However, Big-Rig Trucks are limited to 60 MPH.

I knew that some day, if I lived long enough, Riff & I would eventually agree on something...:laughing:

X 2!!! I love Montana, one of the most sensible states in the country IMO.

Guard rails on the side of the road on winding mountain pass roads? Oh hell no, they just put little white crosses where people have died. Though I see a conflict with the separation of church & state in that action...:laughing: It DOES make you think about pushing the limit more than a guard rail.
At least some measure of natural selection is left in play...:thumbup:

I received a speeding ticket there in my misspent yoot...it co$t me $5.00 to go 90+ mph that day. The officer called it an "energy conservation penalty".

Of course this was in the long ago, mid-late 70's, near as I can recall...:_thinking

It's been a long time since my last ticket, at least 7 yrs. Getting older & fatter has some advantages...:yesgray:

I just ain't in that big of a hurry any more.

And Bart, it coulda been lots more worser...:yesgray:

You coulda got one of these instead...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRf_U0lzb-2NmGcAFe7SBI_gH3AnruIwR_c8ALbPuJbIID_JW33

Hiredgoon
07/01/2011, 07:12 AM
We all take risks every day, and they range all over the spectrum, based on every circumstance you can imagine. Our ability to judge for ourselves whether we are taking a risk that has a high percentage of paying off in our favour is a pretty sacred thing, and I totally get the irritation at having someone else--like Law Enforcement--tell me that I've made an error in judgement; at the end of the day, a speeding ticket is just that. I gambled and lost. It could have been much worse; the loss could have been hitting someone else, or flying off the road and into a tree--for any number of reasons--and really, a fine is a small price to pay. It just adds one more calculation to what's on the table.

The natural tendency is to get mad at Law Enforcement--don't get me wrong, I am constantly feeling put upon by them myself, I'm not arguing their case at all--but despite the fact that manufacturers make vehicles that go 180mph, and that I feel confident driving at XXmph under set conditions, no one else is making me drive over the posted limit. That's on me. I just take it as a lesson learned and try to be more conservative with my choices. Or at least be sneakier about it.

My major incentive to drive slower--in this particular case--is that between the rising price of fuel and the fact that the VX, as much as I love it, is a ridiculous gas hog, I just can't afford the costs. So I do my best to leave for where I'm going a little earlier, plan to be home a little later, avoid places where I will get hung up in traffic, and enjoy not having heart palpitations every time I see a police car.

Just my two cents.

rowhard
07/01/2011, 07:21 AM
these motorcycle cops sit in spots like this, where they KNOW people will speed a little Bart

co-workers son was just done for 3 over, it's called revenue generation

Moncha
07/01/2011, 08:04 AM
Normally, I don't even get involved in matters like this... Being from the enforcement side, I think I can help a bit. Lots of opinions out regrarding cops and doing there job just to screw over people. Well if the officer isn't out there, he gets complaints that he's not doing his job. Yes, he should be out solving "real" crime but, there are breaks between the action so..... Then there is the assigned traffic cop. What do you think he's gonna do. The officer's job is to enforce the laws that were decided upon by the people. Folks like to say that they didn't vote for that law, correct but the majority did vote for the representatives that drive the system. (sorry if you were on the loosing side)

Yes, fines and penalties are for generating income for the county, city, or state. When making a particular law, it's a fact that a percentage of folks won't abide (no matter the circumstance) thus, ensuring a revenue. No county, city, or state can survive on taxes alone so there must be alternative streams. Fines and penalties are an example.

Now, back in my patrol days, my rule was "5 you're fine, 10 you're mine" save for school zones and construction zone, zero tollerance! I can only speak for my agency but, it was left to the descretion of the officer on the out come.

As for safety, I love to go fast the same as the next guy but, there are factors that come into play as well. Area conditions (weather, lighting, side growth, etc.), traffic density, human population density, critter population density, road contidition (pot holes, turns and bends, visability, etc.), then the most important, the unknown (red ball therory, deer jumps, blown tire, etc.) When driving on public roads, its a gamble, in my 15 years as a paramedic and 13 years as a cop, I've seen a good share of those with a loosing hand. "Do you feel lucky?"

I was always told to enforce by the spirit of the law, not the letter... Many more options on both sides. Unless the officer is a complete jerk (of his own accord) don't shoot the messenger. They do empathize, they just have a job to do.

nfpgasmask
07/01/2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the words, Scott. I was hoping you would comment.

Like I said, the officer was a nice guy, just his job, etc, etc. And like I said, I really can't fault the officer. The biggest problem I have with my ticket yesterday is that I personally feel there are too many places in Reno where the speed limit is 5-10mph too slow. That's all.

And maybe its just me, but I was not taking a conscious risk yesterday. I was driving along at what felt like to me a normal, safe speed given the location and prevailing conditions. I didn't see the cop, I didn't look at my speedo, I just got nabbed and had to believe him when he said I was going 52 (I'm sure I probably was).

So I think my issue is only partly because of the situation, but mostly because I think the "system" is set up to create "traps" for decent people to fall into. He wasn't sitting in that very spot on that very stretch of road because he just happened to be there. He was there because he knows the speed limit is low, the traffic light, and that the few people driving there will speed a little. See what I mean? A "non-innocent" trap laid out for more-or-less "innocent-people". THAT is what bothers me. He wasn't there to keep the roads safe. He was there to tag speeders and make the city money. I know its his job, I don't fault him, I just don't like the setup.

That's all I can say.

Its 4th of July weekend, and you know the cops (and drunks) will be out, so drive safe everyone!!

Bart

VXobsession
07/01/2011, 10:19 AM
Hey guys, don't forget about the times when there's a LINE of traffic going 10-15+ over the speed limit and you're the one that gets pulled over. Cop told me one time, "well, it's too much trouble to try to stop all of you, you're just the one I decided to pull over, at least the city'll get YOUR money". Did everything in my power not to slap that a**hole.

ZEUS
07/01/2011, 10:40 AM
I live 1.5 miles from work. There is a "speed trap" where a cop or sometimes up to 3 are waiting for folks to come up and over a viaduct. People in the middle lane jockey for a position in the right lane "one more car ahead of where they could be" knowing full well which lane they need to be in to enter the interstate before they even come up and over. They hit speeds of 55+ in a 45 just before the exit. Then they slam on the brakes as they wedge themselves in between the people who were conscientious and polite enough to get there casually/safely. No disrespect, Bart, as these two scenarios are probly apples to oranges, but I agree with traffic cops swarming in this area to bust these people in a speed trap fashion. I have to question tho... Is it possible that if the speed limit in the area you mention were raised by 10 mph people would then be traveling at 10 over that new figure? You know they would... because people view speed limits as suggestions and really nothing more... like they should with seat belts! :D

So really, I'd say it's our own fault if speed limits are set "too low". It used to be that nobody would go more than 5 over, then it became 10 was the norm... seriously, it has to stop somewhere. So with that mindset, if a cop pulls you over for doing 12 over, in any place, I have to say, you had it comin.

vt_maverick
07/01/2011, 11:54 AM
No county, city, or state can survive on taxes alone so there must be alternative streams. Fines and penalties are an example.

I think you could argue speed traps are just another form of tax - it's a tax on people in a hurry, kind of like how lottery tickets are a tax on stupid people or tolls are a tax on people who need to use a road. Perhaps more appropriately it's that no politician's political career can survive based on raising taxes across his entire constituency. Traffic fines are more elegant because the politician can always say, "Well if you didn't choose to speed you wouldn't have had to pay the fine." And because most of us get lucky most of the time, we all just cross our fingers rather than charge the state house in protest.

FlyingV77
07/01/2011, 02:41 PM
I can and will blame the cops for "doing there job". being a police officer is something you have to work for and go to school to become. Its not like there working for burger king and they have no other choice. They CHOOSE to become jack booted thugs. There are 3 kinds of people that become cops.

1 people that were bullys in school and want to continue being a bully
2 people that were bullied, and what revenge.
3 People that want to make a difereance..... this is the worst kind, because they ALL eventual become jaded, and more corupt than the other two.

and yes i do have friend and family that are cops, and they admit, off the record, that there sole job is to generate revinew. as for preventing crimes, only if it doesnt interfere with writing tickets.

Ebenezr
07/01/2011, 03:53 PM
I smell roast pork. Burnt pork. sorry Moncha I grew up in a time when we called cops something else. :)

VXR
07/01/2011, 04:27 PM
I really don't want to talk about the red light cameras. Getting a ticket for one of those when I lived in Chicago was the final FU from that freakin' place before I moved.

Its freakin' criminal and completely unfair and unconstitutional if you ask me.

Bart

I had just commented to a coworker about how those things are BS money makers. Well I guess I jinxed myself because a few days later got one in the mail. I had no idea just how BS they are. I got a ticket for taking what I thought was a "free right" and not making a "complete" stop. There is no way I was endangering anyone as there were people turning left in front of me so don't give me the safety argument. $135.00 Lynnwood WA.

and we all just sit back and say thank you sir may I have another...

VX KAT
07/01/2011, 04:31 PM
You hit it on the head man!!!

I just realized, that I started this thread for one reason, because I got a ticket and I feel that I DID NOT deserve it. Pull me over, give me a warning, OK. But wait for the REAL speed demon. Wait for the 17 year old girl that you can see texting while driving. Wait for the seriously negligant. Don't screw over normal people going to work. It just makes us hate "the man" even more.

Bart

First off, IMHO, the police have to have the toughest job in the world, often dealing with the scum of the earth on an almost daily basis....I have very close friends that are cops...I don't know how they deal with that, and have my utmost respect.

Yes, the seriously negligent:
My brother's son (age 30!) in S. FL recently had an accident at 3 AM on the freeway. A car had broken down in #1 lane, no flashers on. Nephew has heavily modded hi-po sports car, was going well over speed limit, smashed into the back end.......and was drunk as a skunk! In what I consider to be simply unbelievable....the cop on scene grabbed him, pushed him toward my brother (who had been called) and said "get him out of here now", clearly knowing he was drunk. The cop made some negative commentary about illegal aliens (in the other car, unharmed as they were on center birm).

Amazingly, he only suffered a punctured bladder and had a urostomy bag for 2 months while his bladder healed up, along with many sore muscles and bruises.

Why in the world they didn't ticket him is simply beyond my comprehension! He was as wrong as it gets, and unbelievably lucky he wasn't more severely injured, and even luckier he didn't injure or kill others. He's healed, and unfortunately......back doing all the same things now....:noo::rollo:.....:(
Definitely think a whopping DUI/DWI ticket and some jail time (since it was #2) may have helped this spoiled man-child grow up a bit, and make the public a little safer.....:noo:

....this all seems so backwards..

VXR
07/01/2011, 04:36 PM

X2:yesb:

Triathlete
07/01/2011, 04:41 PM
I can and will blame the cops for "doing there job". being a police officer is something you have to work for and go to school to become. Its not like there working for burger king and they have no other choice. They CHOOSE to become jack booted thugs. There are 3 kinds of people that become cops.

3 People that want to make a difereance..... this is the worst kind, because they ALL eventual become jaded, and more corupt than the other two.

and yes i do have friend and family that are cops, and they admit, off the record, that there sole job is to generate revinew. as for preventing crimes, only if it doesnt interfere with writing tickets.

I am sure we could pigeon hole everyone in your lne of "work" into a few stereotypical catagories as well. :rolly::noy:

Triathlete
07/01/2011, 04:47 PM
I live 1.5 miles from work. There is a "speed trap" where a cop or sometimes up to 3 are waiting for folks to come up and over a viaduct. People in the middle lane jockey for a position in the right lane "one more car ahead of where they could be" knowing full well which lane they need to be in to enter the interstate before they even come up and over. They hit speeds of 55+ in a 45 just before the exit. Then they slam on the brakes as they wedge themselves in between the people who were conscientious and polite enough to get there casually/safely. No disrespect, Bart, as these two scenarios are probly apples to oranges, but I agree with traffic cops swarming in this area to bust these people in a speed trap fashion. I have to question tho... Is it possible that if the speed limit in the area you mention were raised by 10 mph people would then be traveling at 10 over that new figure? You know they would... because people view speed limits as suggestions and really nothing more... like they should with seat belts! :D

So really, I'd say it's our own fault if speed limits are set "too low". It used to be that nobody would go more than 5 over, then it became 10 was the norm... seriously, it has to stop somewhere. So with that mindset, if a cop pulls you over for doing 12 over, in any place, I have to say, you had it comin.

Zeus...the voice of reason?:bwgy:
Did someone hack into your account?:laughy::laughy:

FlyingV77
07/01/2011, 05:48 PM
in my line of "work" i dont steal peoples hard earned money confesacte there property under the ruse of helping.

as for stereotypes, are there because they are based on facts, the good ones AND the bad ones.

PK
07/01/2011, 05:54 PM
OK youse guys - what have you done with the real Zeus?? Some things just not right here.

But I gotta say - you do the crime, you pay up.

I have been pulled up by good cops, and by bad cops. Might have even been the same cop on a bad day - we all have them. (Bad days that is.)
One thing for sure, I have never been pulled up when I didn't deserve to be in the eyes of the law makers.

We just all need to live within the guidelines and laws that the majority of society have laid down for us. If you don't like it - move somewhere else.

We have the insidious mobile hidden speed cameras in Tasmania.
But we all know that they are set at 8kph (5mph) above the speed limit.
How close do you want to push it and run the risk??
The cameras are everywhere, and run by a private company.
The more tickets they write, the more money they make. They get a percentage of the fines.
No cops involved.

Is that enough to make me move interstate??
No, to many other benefits of living where I do, so I put up with it, and when I get a ticket, I get angry with myself - no one else.

Next time you get a ticket, have a look in the mirror, and get angry with that guy (or gal).
You might get less tickets then.

PK

Moncha
07/01/2011, 07:08 PM

Thank you so much for your myopic point of view...

VXR
07/01/2011, 09:15 PM
They CHOOSE to become jack booted thugs. There are 3 kinds of people that become cops.

hey flying generalize much?

FlyingV77
07/01/2011, 10:05 PM
Your welcome!

VXR
07/02/2011, 12:43 AM

I have been pulled up by good cops, and by bad cops. Might have even been the same cop on a bad day - we all have them. (Bad days that is.)
One thing for sure, I have never been pulled up when I didn't deserve to be in the eyes of the law makers.

We just all need to live within the guidelines and laws that the majority of society have laid down for us. If you don't like it - move somewhere else.

We have the insidious mobile hidden speed cameras in Tasmania.
But we all know that they are set at 8kph (5mph) above the speed limit.
How close do you want to push it and run the risk??
The cameras are everywhere, and run by a private company.
The more tickets they write, the more money they make. They get a percentage of the fines.
No cops involved.

Is that enough to make me move interstate??
No, to many other benefits of living where I do, so I put up with it, and when I get a ticket, I get angry with myself - no one else.

Next time you get a ticket, have a look in the mirror, and get angry with that guy (or gal).
You might get less tickets then.

PK

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty...

Marlin
07/02/2011, 04:17 AM
Flying has some truth in his post. I have close friends that were both paramedics.

One did a full career in the Army as an airborne paramedic, he loved it so much,he chose to do it when he retired. He didn't do it too long before he became quite jaded. He hated the people he had to treat because of the things they did to each other. While in the service, soldiers were hurt doing their job or whatnot. In the civilian world, they were shooting each other over a pair of shoes or because of some girl. When it got to the point that he was considering not helping someone because he knew the cycle would just start over, he decided it was time to quit. He hated the people that he was supposed to help.

It has to be the same for cops. At some point, you just get fed up with the whole process. Sure, its not true for all, but stereotypes are just that, generalizations that are mostly true. If the roulette wheel generally landed on black every time, I know where I would put my money....

Ebenezr
07/02/2011, 05:34 AM
This thread is exceeding the limit by 2 posts per hour.

Chopper
07/02/2011, 06:14 AM
I know you've issues with it....but Fla is pretty ok with speedlimits. 70 on the big roads....(no one screws with you till over 80) Most rural 2lanes are 50 or 55....some 60. All rural 4 lanes are 65 unless passing thru urbanized zones.(+10%) No posting??? it's automatically 50. When I first got my license, there were no speed limits in many areas in Fla. I-10 for instance, was WIDE open like the autobahn. It all came to a halt with the first gas crisis in '73. Man....you were allowed to drink and drive.....you were EXPECTED to. You only got crap if you hid your gun....long as it was on your hip, in your back window, or your jacket was off....it was all good.
Ahhhhh...the good ol' days
glug...glug...glug....SCREEEEECH/crash.......bang bang bang bang!!!
yay!!! do it again! do it again! do it again!!
:p

Scott Harness
07/02/2011, 06:30 AM
I know you've issues with it....but Fla is pretty ok with speedlimits. 70 on the big roads....(no one screws with you till over 80) Most rural 2lanes are 50 or 55....some 60. All rural 4 lanes are 65 unless passing thru urbanized zones.(+10%) No posting??? it's automatically 50. When I first got my license, there were no speed limits in many areas in Fla. I-10 for instance, was WIDE open like the autobahn. It all came to a halt with the first gas crisis in '73. Man....you were allowed to drink and drive.....you were EXPECTED to. You only got crap if you hid your gun....long as it was on your hip, in your back window, or your jacket was off....it was all good.
I miss the good old days:yesb:

Ldub
07/03/2011, 07:26 PM
It all came to a halt with the first gas crisis in '73. Man....you were allowed to drink and drive.....you were EXPECTED to. You only got crap if you hid your gun....long as it was on your hip, in your back window, or your jacket was off....it was all good.

LOL...the good ol' daze...http://forum.sensiseeds.com/smileys/smiley40.gif...:_beer:

Yep, in my mis-spent yoot, I was guilty of having FAR too much to drink, trying to drive home in the wee hrs, & crashing my 70 Mustang while moving along a perfectly flat/straight road in excess of 90 mph...:slap:

My car ended up hubs up in the middle of the road...I say hubs up, because the force of the rollover snapped all four ET IV's off at the lugs. The trunk lid was the only sheet metal left straight on the whole car. I was sore & had a couple of scratches on my back, but only missed a day of work...and NO I wasn't wearing a seat belt, I do WITHOUT FAIL now.

Anyway, the Deputy Sheriff who showed up must'v seen the look on the old man's face, cuz he issued no citation. I'm sure he knew that the old man's version of criminal justice would serve as a better life lesson than any fine or DUI.

Lived to repeat stupid activity...seat belt saved my life that time. Woke up in the psych ward of the Kona hospital that time.

Now-a-daze, I stays home or onna stoop!...:yesgray:

Chopper
07/04/2011, 07:11 AM
We only had one cop where I came from. When you got arrested, you went to his livingroom. (His wife later became an officer too) If your special crime warranted...the State Police would gather you up from Lapsley's house....but our particular crimes never did. When you got caught underage drinking or drunk driving....you'd be followed home (or driven) and be turned over to the adults (usually angry adults cause it's 3AM) and be beaten accordingly :)

Ahhhh...the good ol' dayz:bgwo::bgwo:

Ebenezr
07/04/2011, 07:24 AM
We only had one cop where I came from. When you got arrested, you went to his livingroom. (His wife later became an officer too) If your special crime warranted...the State Police would gather you up from Lapsley's house....but our particular crimes never did. When you got caught underage drinking or drunk driving....you'd be followed home (or driven) and be turned over to the adults (usually angry adults cause it's 3AM) and be beaten accordingly :)

Ahhhh...the good ol' dayz:bgwo::bgwo:

Oh yes the good old days. I remember when we would put pumpkins in the middle of the road and light them on fire and run. We would steal wood from local construction and build forts. Then there was the apple fights whoever into the barn loft had a better advantage. We would toilet paper the rotten neighbors trees and soap their windows. Ha ha try to do some of these things now and you would make national news.:o

Osteomata
07/04/2011, 11:42 AM
Ah yes, the good old days. We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.
Memories.

PK
07/04/2011, 03:12 PM
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty...

Hahahahah - real coffee through the nose moment.

There are a few people at work, and those I do business with, that would love to see that statement.

Thanks for the laugh.

PK

Ldub
07/04/2011, 04:01 PM
Ah yes, the good old days. We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.
Memories.

http://www.veryicon.com/icon/png/Movie%20%26%20TV/Simpsons%20Vol.%2001/Simpsons%20Family%20Grandpa%20Simpson.png

:laughing:

BigSwede
07/04/2011, 06:46 PM
They tried the red light cameras in Minneapolis, but then they got thrown out in court. No speed or red light cameras in Minnesota, as of now anyway...

Ldub
07/04/2011, 07:27 PM
No speed or red light cameras in Minnesota, as of now anyway...

Well of course not...Y'all don't even have an operational government...:laughing:

Where's Jesse (http://www.rense.com/general93/vent.htm) when ya need him...:_thinking

Ebenezr
07/05/2011, 04:21 AM
Jesse is checking out yellow onion conspiracy theories....

circmand
07/05/2011, 05:37 AM
Yeah the "capitalism" part kinda threw me in an otherwise internally consistent rant. Which I say as a person with some demonstrated liberal tendencies in quite a few areas.

And for the over swatification of mayberry, there are few better than Radley Balko:
http://www.theagitator.com/

The rest of us are used to liberals throwing Captitalism as well as think of the children in eevry arguement including what to have for dinner

circmand
07/05/2011, 06:01 AM
Normally, I don't even get involved in matters like this... Being from the enforcement side, I think I can help a bit. Lots of opinions out regrarding cops and doing there job just to screw over people. Well if the officer isn't out there, he gets complaints that he's not doing his job. Yes, he should be out solving "real" crime but, there are breaks between the action so..... Then there is the assigned traffic cop. What do you think he's gonna do. The officer's job is to enforce the laws that were decided upon by the people. Folks like to say that they didn't vote for that law, correct but the majority did vote for the representatives that drive the system. (sorry if you were on the loosing side)

But in Houston TX they had a mega thousand police force. About 900 were dedicated to traffic safety and another equal amount to calls to crimes etc. When I was there they had 500 openings. None were in traffic all were in other divisions. Why cant they dedicate more to crime prevention a far more important duty. Of course when I was in an accident I waited for 3 hours for a cop and was told later when I called back they only come if someone is injured and I should drive to the nearest police station and fill out a report which would cost me $20 if I wanted a copy which would be available in 2 weeks. While there and waiting after an hour I was told they may not get to me as it was getting late and I may have to return. It was then I didnt care about being polite. I dont blame the cop on duty 100% but then again I was just following orders doesnt work for soldiers so shouldnt absolve cops of doing the same. Frankly speed traps should be shut down and the towns and cops who run them should be arrested sent to jail and see what its like when you dont carry a badge.

nfpgasmask
07/05/2011, 09:10 AM
I knew this thread was going to get heated! LOL.

I hope everyone had a nice 4th. I made it through, ticket freeeeee!!!!

Bart

Chopper
07/05/2011, 10:43 AM
Oh yes the good old days. I remember when we would put pumpkins in the middle of the road and light them on fire and run. We would steal wood from local construction and build forts. Then there was the apple fights whoever into the barn loft had a better advantage. We would toilet paper the rotten neighbors trees and soap their windows. Ha ha try to do some of these things now and you would make national news.:oWhat farm did you grow up on.....sounds like you were just down the hill :p

Chopper
07/05/2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.veryicon.com/icon/png/Movie%20%26%20TV/Simpsons%20Vol.%2001/Simpsons%20Family%20Grandpa%20Simpson.png

:laughing:+1 hahahahaha

Ebenezr
07/05/2011, 11:10 AM
What farm did you grow up on.....sounds like you were just down the hill :p

Oh we were down the hill. The "highway hill" where 17 mile went over I-75. You know the bridge where we - excuse me - they dropped the dummy on to the cars- below....and ran. :o

Ebenezr
07/05/2011, 12:23 PM
Yes it was the same week when he ( name withheld) stole that guys lawn tractor, took it on a joy ride, then buried it in the field. No lie.:confused:

Ebenezr
07/05/2011, 03:28 PM
I knew this thread was going to get heated! LOL.

I hope everyone had a nice 4th. I made it through, ticket freeeeee!!!!

Bart

I guess you know how to light a fire and run.:p

Ldub
07/05/2011, 03:32 PM
Ha ha try to do some of these things now and you would make national news.:o

...as a murder victim...:nonegray:

nfpgasmask
07/05/2011, 03:47 PM
I guess you know how to light a fire and run.:p

I usually enjoy the conflagration for a little while, and then when it gets to hot I simply walk away. :D

Bart

VXR
07/06/2011, 01:40 AM
There are a few people at work, and those I do business with, that would love to see that statement

perhaps you could share it with them:yesb:

Chopper
07/06/2011, 06:03 AM
Oh we were down the hill. The "highway hill" where 17 mile went over I-75. You know the bridge where we - excuse me - they dropped the dummy on to the cars- below....and ran. :o

We made a cloth one from old clothes and stuff....tied a rope to the railing on the overpass and also around it's "neck" .....dummy commited suicide over I-95
*** Did you ever pour gas across the highway, and light it off just as a car's coming? Best results are had after last call for the adults :) 3AM-ish
****3 kids were recently convicted in the death of an I-4 driver that crashed while trying to avoid a resin chair the kids had placed on the Highway..........you are correct....today we'd go to jail

RickOKC
07/06/2011, 11:32 AM
The rest of us are used to liberals throwing Captitalism as well as think of the children in eevry arguement including what to have for dinner
Reminds me of a headline I read this morning: Police: Woman Stabs Man In Neck With Children In Home (http://www.koco.com/news/28459497/detail.html)

Say what?

Ebenezr
07/06/2011, 05:50 PM
We made a cloth one from old clothes and stuff....tied a rope to the railing on the overpass and also around it's "neck" .....dummy commited suicide over I-95
*** Did you ever pour gas across the highway, and light it off just as a car's coming? Best results are had after last call for the adults :) 3AM-ish
****3 kids were recently convicted in the death of an I-4 driver that crashed while trying to avoid a resin chair the kids had placed on the Highway..........you are correct....today we'd go to jail

My time of such mischief was back around 1972ish. I was luckily vacationing in Florida when the dummy and tractor incident occurred back in mi. So I had an alibi. Sp? But yes lighting roads on fire usually occurred quite late. :bwgy:

mindaugas
07/07/2011, 02:28 AM
knock on wood, last time I was pulled over was on my road bike for running a stop sign, just got a warning. I changed my route since then to hit less stop signs :P Off the bike I'm much better at obeying traffic laws.

FlyingV77
07/07/2011, 05:58 PM
my brother got a speeding ticket (not a warning) when he was 12 or 13 years old. he was "speeding" on his bmx going down an ally. not posted 10mph, they claimed he was doing over 20... cop said he should have had a spedo on his bike and ignorance was no excuse. my parants tryed to fight the ticket and lost in court.

mindaugas
07/07/2011, 10:40 PM
Was he going down hill? I'm not sure u can hit 20 on a bmx ... regardless that's pretty f'n ridiculous that he got a ticket at 13.

FlyingV77
07/07/2011, 11:01 PM
About a week later they put a 10mph sign up, because a naibors cat got ran over (she worked for the city). The cops did speed traps in that ally for about 6 months.

Osteomata
07/08/2011, 06:03 AM
So Usain Bolt would not be allowed to run in that alley, since he can hit 23 mph in a sprint.

RickOKC
07/08/2011, 06:29 AM
He can run, but NO SCISSORS.

VXR
07/08/2011, 01:21 PM
Most Ticketed Cars (http://autos.yahoo.com/news/most-ticketed-cars.html?page=all)

rsteinmetz70112
07/08/2011, 01:35 PM
Surprisingly the least ticketed is Jaguar XJ sedan.

I also disagree that red cars don't get more ticket. I've owned only one red car in my life and it got more stops than all of the other cars I've owned together, and it a Volvo.

Triathlete
07/08/2011, 02:44 PM
Most Ticketed Cars (http://autos.yahoo.com/news/most-ticketed-cars.html?page=all)

Who would of thought....almost all hopped-up German cars and those popular with the ricer crowd!:bwgy:

Osteomata
07/08/2011, 06:47 PM
Well you know what they say, "the plural of anecdote is not data."
Surprisingly the least ticketed is Jaguar XJ sedan.

I also disagree that red cars don't get more ticket. I've owned only one red car in my life and it got more stops than all of the other cars I've owned together, and it a Volvo.

Y33TREKker
07/09/2011, 12:28 PM
This just in:

Photo Radar in Illinois- begins July 1st!!!! BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING LEAD FOOTS !.....

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. One mile per hour over the speed limit and the machine will get you a nice $375.00 ticket in the mail. Beginning July 1st, the State of Illinois will begin using the speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense. The SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allow insurance companies to raise Insurance rates.

This is the harshest penalty structure ever set for a governmental unit involving PHOTO speed enforcement. The State already has two camera vans on line issuing tickets 24/7 in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photos of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken. Pass this on to everyone you know who might be affected!!!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/illinois.asp<http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/illinois.asp> TRUE

circmand
07/11/2011, 11:43 AM
This just in:

Government revenue scams. You would think with these units being vandalized and some reps being shot the government would begin to realize we are getting fed up of getting screwed to feed theor bloated inefficient ways. Balance the budget fire have the government work force and tell the rest they will be fires if they dont shape up.

tom4bren
07/11/2011, 12:05 PM
my brother got a speeding ticket (not a warning) when he was 12 or 13 years old. he was "speeding" on his bmx going down an ally. not posted 10mph, they claimed he was doing over 20... cop said he should have had a spedo on his bike and ignorance was no excuse. my parants tryed to fight the ticket and lost in court.

ROFL

When I worked at Robbins AFB, it was quicker for me to bike to work rather than drive. MP's tried to give me a speeding ticket once. Here's how it went down:

Officer: WOOWOOWOOO - pull the bicycle over to the curb sir and dismount.

Me: I did

Me: Yes, officer how may I help you.

Officer: License and registration please.

Me: I'm sorry sir but I can not comply. There is no registration for bicycles and since a drivers license isn't required, I left it at home.

Officer: Give me your Government ID then, I know you have that on you.

Me: I'm sorry Officer but the security office informed me that I can not use that as a form of ID.

I gotta give it to the MP. He tried ... he really tried. After giving him my name, age, race, ... he tried filling out the ticket. After about 2 minutes of that, he finally laughed & told me to leave.

BTW, I wasn't speeding, I was just going faster than all of the cars.

Y33TREKker
07/11/2011, 12:31 PM
Government revenue scams...
I was actually informed that report was originally circulated years ago, and that it's gotten reborn every year since then around the beginning of summer.

That doesn't change my opinion that some such revenue producers are incorporated at times though. I can still remember three times specifically when I've been pulled over for "speeding": once doing 42 in a 35, once doing 37 in a 30, and once allegedly doing 72 in a 45 ((although the officer kindly reduced it to 64 so I wouldn't be cited for 20 over --- even though I wasn't doing anywhere close to even 64 at the time either --- I was in a Mustang GT all three times. But, I hesitate to mention the word "profiling" and risk being labeled paranoid, even though the 37 in a 30 had me singled out of a group of cars all doing the same speed)).

rsteinmetz70112
07/11/2011, 12:55 PM
I was actually informed that report was originally circulated years ago, and that it's gotten reborn every year since then around the beginning of summer.

I can tell you that in the City of New Orleans a private company has been contracted to provide speeding cameras at several locations, usually school zones on busy streets. These cameras produce millions of dollars a year in revenue. At least one of the cameras was for a long time improperly set and was issuing school zone speeding tickets at days and times when school zones were not in effect.

Y33TREKker
07/11/2011, 03:18 PM
I can tell you that in the City of New Orleans a private company has been contracted to provide speeding cameras at several locations, usually school zones on busy streets. These cameras produce millions of dollars a year in revenue. At least one of the cameras was for a long time improperly set and was issuing school zone speeding tickets at days and times when school zones were not in effect.
I know I've been accused of assuming the worst on occasion, but in my own defense, as it's turned out, my suspicions have more often than not been proven accurate over time.

In cases like the ones you've described, I can't help but wonder if some are purposeful oversights, with the powers-that-be knowing most people are just too busy these days to deal with the inconveniences of fighting such tickets in court...similar to receiving out-of-state speeding tickets...and as a result just end up paying the fines whether they were deserved or not.

VXR
07/12/2011, 12:19 AM
Government revenue scams

Next time you get a ticket, have a look in the mirror, and get angry with that guy

Hey circ PK says look in the mirror and pay up...

Gussie2000
07/12/2011, 02:08 PM
So yesterday i went to a scheduled hearing for window tints.

I looked across the hearing room and noticed that the P/O who wrote the ticket wasn't there so i thought it ill be dismissed right away,how wrong were i

The judge call me forward to start my trail when all of a sudden i saw this P/O who obviously wasn't the one who issued the ticket.

So my defense was that according to the ticket i were driving eastbound when in fact i was driving westbound,i told the judge the fact that the ticket had wrong/misleading information it should be dismissed on the spot,plus the P/O here present wasn't the one who wrote the ticket

The judge allows you to ask questions to the P/O so following that right i ask the P/O : How can you oat that the statement you are providing ( actually reading on a paper sheet ) in this court and the information written on the ticket is true and accurate when you weren't the P/O that issued the ticket nor witness the traffic violation ? :mad:

The P/O didn't knew what to say,but the judge without allowing the police officer time to answer my question just shout "GUILTY" and command me to pay $ 130 in two weeks or appeal the decision.Of course i request to appeal the decision.

The "judge" asked me if i removed my "illegal" tints,i replay saying " no and i wouldn't" he asked me why. I told him the P/O has a gun,he can defend his self,but my car wouldn't stand a chance from unwanted folks peeping and vandalizing my car to figured out if there's anything that is worth the headache of my pockets spitting out $ 600+ for a new window and my car insurance is more likely to be on my side on that matter.

My question here: Is legal for a P/O to "represent" another P/O in court in his absence ?
I ask that question because i strongly believe that's illegal by all means.

The P/O that wrote me the ticket never appeared before,during and after my trial,but if i don't show up in court the city threats me to suspend my license,cancel my registration,tow my vehicule and/or garnish my salary/banking accounts while the police officer have no obligation to appear in court and still capable of winning the trial

All i know for sure most of the cities,counties,states,villages,etc legalizes ways to empty out our pockets,write off "laws" that only benefits them and use police officers as tax collectors just like in the roman empire era.

We the main street folks have no chances to defeat the big pig,we on the lose-lose side of the equation.

circmand
07/12/2011, 02:12 PM
Hey circ PK says look in the mirror and pay up...

I havent had a speeding ticket in decades. I just disagree with cops going from serve and protect to ticket and collect

Wow I am really proud of that one I need to photo shop that logo onto a picture of a cop car and put it on a T-shirt

Bob Barker
07/12/2011, 02:28 PM
:laughing:

Y33TREKker
07/12/2011, 05:16 PM
I just disagree with cops going from serve and protect to ticket and collect.
Agreed, you may very well have come up with the next "$#!+ Happens" with that one. :_beer:

VXR
09/14/2011, 11:20 PM
red light cameras are BS! (http://www.king5.com/news/Red-light-camera-debate-moves-to-Bellingham-129847008.html):yesb: