PDA

View Full Version : Towing ...

mindaugas
06/28/2011, 01:35 PM
I know this has been asked a lot, but I've been doing some searching and reading, but wanted to bring the topic up again for fresh opinions, and especially specific to my VX. The "DO NOT TOW" in the manual frightens me, but all the posts with pics of people towing cars and boats makes me less scared.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14162
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18543&highlight=towing

I'm thinking of towing a small camper trailer, something like this:
http://www.gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/amerilite/specs.php#super-lite

It might not be the super light though, so could be around 2500lbs. I feel 2500lbs should be my limit regardless.

I'll be towing in the mountains, up some passes to follow the US Pro Cycling challenge. If some of you who have towed, and specifically in the mountains, could give me your opinions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

tom4bren
06/28/2011, 02:14 PM
I still tow with mine ... even after this:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php?searchid=375390

Just make sure you get brakes on the trailer (surge or 'lectric - as long as it brakes).

rsteinmetz70112
06/28/2011, 09:53 PM
Does the manual mean "Do Not Tow This Vehicle" or does it nean "Do not tow anything with this vehicle"?

Seems the former is correct and the latter is not.

mindaugas
06/29/2011, 04:44 AM
Does the manual mean "Do Not Tow This Vehicle" or does it nean "Do not tow anything with this vehicle"?

Seems the former is correct and the latter is not.

Obviously I'm referring to "towing with", but you also aren't supposed to tow the VX on all 4 wheels because of the TOD system.

The called around and can't find any ultralight campers and I don't want a popup because it has no showers. Looks like I'll be staying hotels.

subject47
06/29/2011, 07:22 AM
From a Mechanical view point. the VX should be able to be used as a towing vehicle. The weight of the trailer and tung would be the determining factor which I do not know.

The "do not tow" would imply do not place on a car dolly or pull it with the drive wheels on the ground. In our case any or all the wheels,
The reason for this may be the TOD system, but for sure is the auto trans.

autos are lubricated by an atf pump and torque converter which are both powered only be the motor. Without the pump turning your trans is turing without lube and that doesn't set well with metal on metal rotation.

mindaugas
06/29/2011, 08:49 AM
I don't have the manual in front of me, but the VX is not rated for towing, nor does Isuzu "ok" it. It's mentioned in all the towing threads as well. Of course, that hasn't stopped many VX owners :) Maybe the question should be, "what WON'T the VX tow?" Bigger things, just use two VX's :P

Vendetta
06/29/2011, 09:01 AM
I once had my VX towed a few miles because I parked it overnight in a wrong spot. (Go 'head, laugh all ya want - YOU try figuring out these NY City parking signs!)

I can't imagine that this would cause a problem... or would it?

VX KAT
06/29/2011, 09:13 AM
Obviously I'm referring to "towing with", but you also aren't supposed to tow the VX on all 4 wheels because of the TOD system.

The called around and can't find any ultralight campers and I don't want a popup because it has no showers. Looks like I'll be staying hotels.

We never intended to tow with the VX, only Dave's FJ. We didn't want a pop-up either. So we bought a "T@B", one of the lightest travel trailers out there, between 1,600 -1,700 lbs GVW w/o cargo. Tongue weight of about 150 lbs. Only the 2010 models have a bathroom. (can't recall if it's a wet bath).
Here's some pics to give you an idea of the size, it's 16' long, 6'7" wide, 5'9" stand up inside.
I just uploaded a few pics, but they won't attach here :_thinking, so you can see them on the home page.

tom4bren
06/29/2011, 09:31 AM
I once had my VX towed a few miles because I parked it overnight in a wrong spot. (Go 'head, laugh all ya want - YOU try figuring out these NY City parking signs!)

I can't imagine that this would cause a problem... or would it?

You got away with it once ... I wouldn't press my luck on another episode though.

IIRC, a member had his towed one night (by mistake - tow company picked up wrong vehicle) on a roll back. Just dragging it onto the truck caused some tranny damage.

crager34
06/29/2011, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=The called around and can't find any ultralight campers and I don't want a popup because it has no showers. Looks like I'll be staying hotels.[/QUOTE]

WHAT! You will be in the Rockies BABY!! Use the lakes, rivers, and streams!!

tom4bren
06/29/2011, 10:05 AM
So we bought a "T@B", one of the lightest travel trailers out there, between 1,600 -1,700 lbs GVW w/o cargo.

Wifey & I make do with something a LEEEEETLE bigger.

I had to read your post carefully. T@B looks an awful lot like T4B with a typo.:)

mindaugas
06/29/2011, 10:26 AM
So we bought a "T@B"

Can you send me the link or repost? I've seen those before and been interested in teardrop trailers. We could actually pull that with the Outback instead which is rated for towing.

Use the lakes, rivers, and streams
I don't like ice baths

VX KAT
06/29/2011, 10:53 AM
Can you send me the link or repost? I've seen those before and been interested in teardrop trailers. We could actually pull that with the Outback instead which is rated for towing.

One note...we have an '09 "clamshell" model, which has the back hatch open up and has the kitchen back there. The other models have the kitchen inside. We didn't like that arrangement as it's small enough as is, we wanted the little extra space inside. One of the pics I uploaded shows Dave standing at the kitchen.

Here's a link with info, it's not the manufacturer's site though, as Dutchmen/Thor stopped producing them August 2009, with the 2010 model year. But the company "Little Guy" who makes smaller teardrops, just bought the name/copyright/plans whatever from Dutchman, and has just started rolling them off the production line this month. They look virtually the same, except the frame a few other items are different, some materials have been downgraded a bit. And they are not making the clamshell model, like we have.

You can usually find used ones for sale fairly regularly on CraigsList and at RV dealerships. Seems they are much higher priced on the West Coast, and there seem to be more of them on the Eastern part of the country. They only made the t@b from 2004 -2010. Used units for the '06 -'07 -'08 usually are listed around $6,000 - $8,500, '09 -'10 usually around $9,000 - $10,000.

If you want more info and pics, email me.

http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/tab-teardrop-trailer.aspx

http://www.littleguytrailers.net/tab-trailer.pdf

mindaugas
06/29/2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks Kat for the info, I was wondering about the manufacturer because I got Dutchman through a google, but nothing on their site. I wish the price was more in line with popups though. I suppose I should just go to a dealer, and see how the external shower on a popup works, maybe it's not that bad. Regular camping, I'd be fine without it, but I'd love something I can bring on regular trips.

subject47
06/29/2011, 12:14 PM
I didn't Mean to say wether or not the manual said that the VX should be towing.
Mechanicly speaking if a Ferrari can tow a trailer (I have seen it done and it looks so stupid) a VX certainly can do it...

If you look at all the donner vehicles that make up the VX, the trooper, rodeo, and even the amigo (for a wheel base to compare to). You can find tow data on those vehicles, but you have to take that data as a guide only.

If the manual says don't tow with the VX they have a reason other than mechanical limitations in mind

I was trying to clearify the second half of the question the being towed part. As for being towed short distances limited tows aren't good but nessesary at times. just dont make it a habbit.

Doomer
06/30/2011, 12:25 PM
I recently bought a small toy hauler, the KZ 16FKTH. I pull it behind the VX, so far with no problems. Last trip was in 100 degree heat to Austin and back. This trailer only weighs 2000# empty & has only 330# tongue weight. It was built for V6 SUV's to pull. I haven't hit any mountains, it would be slow going. There is no mistaking there is a load behind you! I take it easy and go about 60-65 MPH. As I said...so far so good.