PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Case Gasket Leak...

ron
06/18/2011, 08:19 AM
So, I found a small puddle of red fluid on the garage floor the other day. Turns out that the TC (large one) pan's gasket is leaking a bit. So after a bit of research, I have a few questions that I hope someone can verify or enlighten me before I tackle this.

1) In order to remove the cross member, where EXACTLY would be a good spot to support the transmission? (refer to pic down below)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2618/20110618072706.jpg

3) This appears to be the cross member needs to come off to remove the TC pan? (refer to pic below)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/741/20110618072718.jpg

4) Since I'll have the pan off, I might as well replace the filter (screen) while I'm at it. Planning to go to Autozone to purchase the filter. I read that the pan gasket comes with the filter?

5) Once everything's all cleaned, replaced, and re-assembled, I refill with Dexron III (6-7 qts.?), have the truck running, shift through all the gears, and top off with more (still while truck is running) if needed?

Thanks for any feedback/input in advance that you can provide. rudy

rowhard
06/18/2011, 09:15 AM
Me, I'm old school, I'd use a jack with a 2x6 across the pan, KISS engineering

Triathlete
06/18/2011, 01:10 PM
When i did mine i didn't need to support it at all. It will pretty much stay in place. Make sure you refer to the filter/gasket as the proper thing...it is the transmission not the transfer case (tc).
And yes, the gasket comes with the filter. Easy job but messy.
I would buy a couple extra quarts to be safe...unless you have another vehicle to get to the parts store in.
Also another area on the tranny prone to leakage is the gasket on the shift indicator shaft (think thats what its called).

Ldub
06/18/2011, 05:33 PM
When I did mine, I just put my floor jack under the transfer case to support...no problem, there's not all that much weight, but supporting it made it easier to reinstall the cross member. Also, be ready to do some wire brushing & painting on the cross member & frame where they intersect.

And don't forget to put some flat heavy things on the pan gasket the night before, to flatten it out.

johnnyapollo
06/18/2011, 07:37 PM
I picked up a kit at an Isuzu dealer that included the gasket and filter (a few years ago and it's not longer a dealer, but they still offer service and have parts) - the gasket was flattened against cardboard with shrinkwrap to keep it so. It wasn't a lot of money - there's also a copper crush washer or two that you can replace (don't have to but in the CD manual it specifies to) - they gave them to me for free for buying the kit....

-- John

Ldub
06/18/2011, 07:50 PM
I picked up a kit at an Isuzu dealer that included the gasket and filter (a few years ago and it's not longer a dealer, but they still offer service and have parts) - the gasket was flattened against cardboard with shrinkwrap to keep it so. It wasn't a lot of money - there's also a copper crush washer or two that you can replace (don't have to but in the CD manual it specifies to) - they gave them to me for free for buying the kit....

-- John

I had the same experience with OEM Isuzu parts, just remembered Barts reco to flatten out the aftermarket ones...:_wrench: