PDA

View Full Version : Antenna replacement? Suggestions?

technocoy
06/12/2011, 10:27 AM
Hey guys,

During my clean up yesterday I noticed all the seals and coverings on my antenna are basically dry rotted and falling off. Not good as it appears water could also be going into the roof.

Has anyone replaced theirs and do you have any recommendations on aftermarket? I imagine I could call St Charles, but I gotta think there is an aftermarket alternative that wouldn't cost as much.

Mostly what I found in the forums was related to CB Radio installs.

Thanks for any help you guys!

- David

RickOKC
06/12/2011, 11:02 AM
The previous owner of my VX bought one through his local Volkswagen dealer. It's flexible with the spiral and about 18" tall. I have no idea if it's the same as stock or even if it's close.

$36 .... Part# 130-035-849-E

Ldub
06/12/2011, 01:40 PM
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=6f2a167caf&view=att&th=130859a306deef0c&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

atilla_the_fun
06/12/2011, 02:02 PM
I just recenctly bought this one from e-bay. It fit the base perfectly and I like the shorter look. It comes with different sized threads. Its easy to install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-5-Black-Short-Antenna-Mast-fit-most-Toyota-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35b2c536c9QQitemZ23063 2535753QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_3345wt_1167

technocoy
06/12/2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll look into these. I need the base too unfortunately. I can't figure out how it rotted so badly when nothing else on the truck is to that level of degradation.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ldub
06/12/2011, 03:47 PM
The salvage yards I posted have the whole shoot'n match...:yesgray:

Sorry the pic didn't work on the first go-round.

The 1st ones # is: 1-888-811-5051 ($35.00)
The 2nd ones # is: 1-800-682-9257 (call for price)

Ldub
06/12/2011, 03:55 PM
I need the base too unfortunately. I can't figure out how it rotted so badly when nothing else on the truck is to that level of degradation.

Sounds like a job for 303 Aerospace protectant...:thumbup:

technocoy
06/12/2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks Dub! It's weird, your first post doesn't even show up for me? Like I see the header, but nothing after that... weird.

I'll give these guys a call. I have the feeling we're getting into the years were we're going to be chasing spare parts and finding alternate replacements. I just hope nothing ever busts up my cladding.

Ldub
06/13/2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks Dub! It's weird, your first post doesn't even show up for me? Like I see the header, but nothing after that... weird.

I'll give these guys a call. I have the feeling we're getting into the years were we're going to be chasing spare parts and finding alternate replacements. I just hope nothing ever busts up my cladding.

How about now?

I can see the screen snip (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=232000&postcount=3) I posted, can anyone else?

RickOKC
06/13/2011, 07:38 AM
All I see is the header with the blue background, blank space (enough for 1 line of text), then your signature photo & quote.

raider
06/13/2011, 10:50 AM
AntennaX has them on ebay motors. Just bought one a few months ago for about $12.00, I think. It's the exact one as the original. It was just the antenna and I'm not sure if you can get a base from them.

SlowPro48
06/13/2011, 01:30 PM
He's talking about the antenna base, not the mast. Well - both actually - but masts that fit the Isuzu base are a dime a dozen, while a reasonably priced Isuzu base is near impossible to find. Go ahead and call Merlin about the price. I bet you won't be buying OEM!

David - try doing an eBay search for "Ford Focus antenna base" - or VW Jetta, or Toyota Yaris... maybe one of those will work and they're 1/5 the cost of OEM. Hard to tell just by looking at pics though - need dimensions to know if it will fit properly. My antenna is in the same condition as yours. The plinth is pretty much falling apart. I dread replacing it because the headliner will have to be removed. What a PITA. So to stave that project off as long as possible I used black RTV to seal up the cracks and keep water from getting to the headliner. Needs to be replaced though....

....So if anybody out there has already found a good substitute, chime in and let us know!

Thanks!

Ldub
06/13/2011, 04:05 PM
I dread replacing it because the headliner will have to be removed. What a PITA.

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure on that...:_thinking

I think it might be possible to reach with just the rear ceiling panel removed, & the H-L held down just enough...:luck:

RickOKC
06/13/2011, 05:01 PM
It's a little blurry, but is that the base shown in the middle of page 6 of the parts list (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=15) (1. antenna mast)? My last purchase indicates the current multiplier for St Charles Isuzu is about 1.42.

technocoy
06/13/2011, 07:32 PM
You know, I may continue my search for one, but I'm certainly starting to consider just getting the bastard down and dipping it in plastidip. I saw a post on lifehacker a few weeks back about folks using it on their frayed headphones, worth a shot either way. Do a couple coats get it sealed back on the top and just get a new mast.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm gonna try those searches on ebay. I'm thinking at 1/5 the price I'm certainly open to modifying one of those before spending tons of cash on OEM.

Thanks again everyone. Always a quick and useful response from the fam.

SlowPro48
06/13/2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah I used Plastidip on the mast a couple years ago. Wrapped the disintegrating rubber part tightly with 12 lb test monofiliment to hold everything together and then dipped three coats. Worked great.

Not sure I'd do that with the base though. If I go to the trouble of R&R-ing the base - even if Dub's right and you don't have to completely remove the headliner, (and I'm sure he is) I'd want to replace with something new.

On the other hand if there's no reasonably priced alternative, PlastiDip to the rescue! Wonder if you could make a mold and create a new base plinth entirely out of PlastiDip...?

Really, does it matter what it looks like? How many people are tall enough to see it anyway? I say the h3ll with the truckers - cut a base plinth out of marine plywood, and paint it black!

samneil2000
06/14/2011, 05:59 AM
That's correct. My radio wouldn't tune in a station for crap and I remembered something about the factory antenna being "powered" and that it could go out. I went to Auto Zone and bought a short flexible antenna with base and mounted it up on the roof. I think it was a tight fit and I had to fight it a bit. I'm sure the guys with the more pristine VX's would want a better match to factory.
Anyways, Dub is right. All I did was remove the rear plastic panel and could reach it easily while standing on the back of the VX.

Oh yeah, and it does tune in stations better now to boot.

I'm not 100% sure on that...:_thinking

I think it might be possible to reach with just the rear ceiling panel removed, & the H-L held down just enough...:luck:

Ldub
06/14/2011, 06:10 AM
even if Dub's right and you don't have to completely remove the headliner, (and I'm sure he is)

Wish I shared your confidence...:mbrasd:

You may have noticed, I tried to leave myself some wiggle room when I included sentences like "I think it might be possible"...:smilewink

If I was going to repair the base, I'd go with several coats of JBweld (http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php)epoxy.

The stuff in the tube(s) is pretty much self leveling, & it's sandable & paintable.

I fixed a cracked banjo fitting (fuel injection) on Suzy several years ago in Moab, & haven't had a problem since...:thumbup: (where's the "knock wood" smilie when you need it)

I didn't even add a reinforcement layer, though if I were to take a "do over", I would wrap it in kevlar fishing line.
You could incorporate a layer of fiberglass cloth in the process, to repair the base.

mhill
06/14/2011, 07:45 AM
This is an ebony from Idaho I saw in Phoenix AZ during a spring training game. Don't know if it is someone on here, VIN 0392. Could just seal up the original hole and go this route. :)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Antenna.jpg

samneil2000
06/14/2011, 09:28 AM
This is an ebony from Idaho I saw in Phoenix AZ during a spring training game. Don't know if it is someone on here, VIN 0392. Could just seal up the original hole and go this route. :)

That's so weird!

Ldub
06/14/2011, 02:50 PM
Could just seal up the original hole and go this route. :)

That's so weird!

Apparently, the air bag dun't wurk so gud niether...http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/BJ_BOBBI_JO9/Family%20friends%20relationships%20related/hillbilly.gif?t=1241912953

SlowPro48
06/15/2011, 11:42 AM
Haha! That looks like one of those Chinese air bags - you know - the feather-filled ones you can buy at Walmart in the linen section - you just throw 'em on the dash right before you crash! I bet the owner had to relocate the antenna because of frequent roof top carrier use. Check the reflection on the windshield. Either that or there is a UFO hovering over this VX....

Ldub
06/15/2011, 07:25 PM
Check the reflection on the windshield. Either that or there is a UFO hovering over this VX....

That's the soul & pillow sucking mother ship...:uhohgray:

I know, cuz my 2nd wife was on board.

CowboyErik
08/01/2011, 09:20 PM
How do you fix the POOR AM radio reception on VX? my 1999 barely picks up anything

JAMAS
08/02/2011, 04:58 AM
How do you fix the POOR AM radio reception on VX? my 1999 barely picks up anything

Howdy Cincinnati neighbor. What are you listening to on AM? 700 WLW?

jdm monkey
08/06/2011, 08:33 PM

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Antenna.jpg
Noooo!!! it messes up the smooth lines of the VX.
I used to sell replacement antennas but I ran out :( and the manufacturer is not making them anymore

vxcp
09/20/2011, 12:43 PM
Could just seal up the original hole and go this route.

Suggestions on antenna removal / what to seal the original hole up with? I plan to eliminate my antenna. Removed AM/FM radio and just have Iphone now.

nfpgasmask
09/20/2011, 12:46 PM
Someone was selling these little stick antennas a long time ago. I replaced mine.

http://www.isuzugeek.org/forumpics/vx/antenna.jpg

I'm pretty sure I still have my original.

Bart

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/20/2011, 11:52 PM
Back when I had my Pioneer AVIC-N4 installed, I mounted the sat. antenna next to the the VX radio antenna and ran the wire through the base. I noticed during that time that my base was pretty dry-rotted. I removed it and coated it (thinly) with black RTV and after drying re-installed it. I haven't looked lately but I'm pretty sure it has held up over time.

NOW I'm going to HAVE to LOOK....thanks alot guys...lol.

jdm monkey
09/23/2011, 06:56 AM
Someone was selling these little stick antennas a long time ago. I replaced mine.

http://www.isuzugeek.org/forumpics/vx/antenna.jpg

I'm pretty sure I still have my original.

Bart
That was me and its back ordered.

nfpgasmask
09/23/2011, 04:07 PM

Cool! I'm glad I got one from you!! ;)

Bart

deermagnet
09/23/2011, 05:43 PM
Sorry I didn't notice this question before. I have an Isuzu Service Bulletin for your problem-

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/kaats/amradio.gif (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/kaats/amradio.gif)

Mark Griffin

tysamigo
02/19/2012, 01:47 AM

Where can I get one? I have an 01 and I need a replacement. Does the stick do just as good as OEM? Does it fit correctly without any mods?

Thanks

Ldub
02/19/2012, 06:18 AM
Where can I get one? I have an 01 and I need a replacement. Does the stick do just as good as OEM? Does it fit correctly without any mods?

Thanks

I see em' all over the place on ebay...:smilewink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Universal-Short-Antenna-Carbon-Fiber-Shorty-Car-d-/320796195008?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AIsuzu&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab0f178c0

1999-01 Isuzu Rodeo
1999-01 Isuzu Trooper
1999-01 Isuzu VehiCROSS

vt_maverick
02/19/2012, 09:34 AM
Don't know if you ever use a roof basket or roof cargo box, but if you do you might do yourself a favor and buy a "stubby" antenna rather than search for the OEM "RC Car" style antenna. I kept having rub issues with mine until I replaced it.

89Vette
02/24/2012, 07:18 AM
ou do you might do yourself a favor and buy a "stubby" antenna

If anyone can confirm if these ebay 3" or 5" antenna stubs pick up as well as stock, I'd consider it.

Thanks!

(For my 89V, I bought an underdash "sportscar" antenna. It's no where near the same reception as a full-length antenna.

WormGod
02/27/2012, 06:59 AM
I see em' all over the place on ebay...:smilewink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Universal-Short-Antenna-Carbon-Fiber-Shorty-Car-d-/320796195008?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AIsuzu&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab0f178c0

1999-01 Isuzu Rodeo
1999-01 Isuzu Trooper
1999-01 Isuzu VehiCROSS

These are actually pretty good. I have one for my VX and my STi. Granted, I don't use the radio at all (XM or my Zune) but they look good with their tiny profile.

Saw this link from there and these are a tad cheaper.... and kinda coolor looking too. :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-3-Carbon-Fiber-Aluminum-Screw-Type-Radio-Antenna-/390394229565?_trksid=p4340.m503&_trkparms=algo%3DRIC.CFNP%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26o tn%3D5%26pmod%3D320796195008%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6 626167768968835518

tysamigo
02/27/2012, 07:06 AM
well, i bought one (the one dub posted a link to). I won't know how well it works after the paint job and stuff (maybe a month), but I'll post how well it does. I do listen to radio (NPR) sometimes instead of podcasts and mp3s. I'll post the results, but it's going to be a while...

89Vette
02/27/2012, 01:30 PM
These are actually pretty good. I have one for my VX and my STi. Granted, I don't use the radio at all (XM or my Zune) but they look good with their tiny profile.

Saw this link from there and these are a tad cheaper.... and kinda coolor looking too. :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-3-Carbon-Fiber-Aluminum-Screw-Type-Radio-Antenna-/390394229565?_trksid=p4340.m503&_trkparms=algo%3DRIC.CFNP%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26o tn%3D5%26pmod%3D320796195008%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6 626167768968835518

How do you know they work well if you don't use it!?

:winky:

WormGod
02/28/2012, 06:57 AM
How do you know they work well if you don't use it!?

:winky:

It looks good. The low profile gives it a smaller erection. In THIS case, that is good. :p

Maddawg
02/23/2013, 03:41 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/o574bb.jpgIt finally happened, the antenna the previous owner installed has parted its ways.
I have searched all over the web hoping to find another limp antenna to avoid having to pull the headliner down, no luck finding an exact replacement.

Two questions: first, how the heck do I remove the rear black panel? I dont see any attachments. I think Ldub referred to that as the "rear ceiling panel".

Second, are the antenna cable plugs interchaneable with just any old antenna?

bartmanS4
02/23/2013, 05:20 PM
To remove the rear ceiling panel just carefully pry it downward from the ceiling. It is held in by metal spring clips. If you pull too hard or fast it will break the plastic tabs the clips bite into. Some metal clips may be left in the door once you have the panel out, just pinch them with pliers, pull them out, and push them back onto the panel.

Maddawg
02/23/2013, 05:33 PM
To remove the rear ceiling panel just carefully pry it downward from the ceiling. It is held in by metal spring clips. If you pull too hard or fast it will break the plastic tabs the clips bite into. Some metal clips may be left in the door once you have the panel out, just pinch them with pliers, pull them out, and push them back onto the panel.

That's what I was afraid of...... prying. That just makes my exhaust port pucker.lol. So pry from the front or the back?

VxSport
02/23/2013, 05:48 PM
I pulled ours down from the front edge, just enough to stick a 12" thin wonder bar. slow and it can be removed with out breaking, there are about 10 or 11 clip tabs.

That's what I was afraid of...... prying. That just makes my exhaust port pucker.lol. So pry from the front or the back?

Mile High VX
02/23/2013, 05:58 PM
I took mine out to put in my rear dome light....slow and steady will get it done with out damage...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Maddawg
02/23/2013, 06:27 PM
I took mine out to put in my rear dome light....slow and steady will get it done with out damage...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Thanks guys!! BTW when you put in your rear dome light did you take the whole liner down or were you able to fish the wire from the existing light?

Mile High VX
02/23/2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys!! BTW when you put in your rear dome light did you take the whole liner down or were you able to fish the wire from the existing light?

I fished the wire from the front using a wire hanger...super easy.

Maddawg
02/23/2013, 06:43 PM
I fished the wire from the front using a wire hanger...super easy.

Nice! I have to admit the interior lighting leaves something to be desired. :yeso:

Maddawg
02/28/2013, 06:49 PM
Hey, I got lucky. After surfing the web for several hours I found an exact replacement for my broken antenna. Turns out they are made for Harley Davidsons. Cost about 20 bucks with shipping but no fooling around removing interior panels. Just unpacked it and screwed it back on. Nice!

nocturnalVX
02/28/2013, 07:56 PM
Hey, I got lucky. After surfing the web for several hours I found an exact replacement for my broken antenna. Turns out they are made for Harley Davidsons. Cost about 20 bucks with shipping but no fooling around removing interior panels. Just unpacked it and screwed it back on. Nice!

Link please... :thumbup: