PDA

View Full Version : Windshield washer fluid pump leak

Bill Brown
06/10/2011, 03:14 PM
Yesterday, removed the windshield washer fluid reservoir to discover the pump was leaking. The tube was firmly connected and not the source of the leak. As I extremely rarely used the windshield washer (probably less than a dozen times in as many years) I'll probably just leave out the reservoir altogether.

However, if anyone has experienced a windshield washer fluid pump leak and found a fix, I am interested in how you made the repair. TIA.

Ldub
06/10/2011, 03:21 PM
Since you've removed it already...fill it with water, find the source of the leak, & fix it with either silicone, (dried out rubber gasket/seal/O-ring) or JBweld or similar epoxy with plastic included is it's labeled bag of tricks. (to seal a crack in the reservoir itself)...:smack:

Bill Brown
06/10/2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the sound advice Ldub.

Ldub
06/10/2011, 03:28 PM
N-E old tyme A-tall VX Bro...:luck:

SoTxVx
06/10/2011, 03:53 PM
Had the same issue recently with my VX. The leak was coming from the pump itself at the union between the plastic and metal portion of the pump. Called Merlin @ St Charles Isuzu and about $35 dollars and 4 days later I had a new pump that came with a new rubber gasket. About 15 minutes to replace and leak is gone.

Had the same issue with my '93 trooper with the same pump setup. Tried taking the pump apart and fixing the leak but was not sucessful. Didn't try to fix the pump on the VX.

John

Bill Brown
06/10/2011, 04:08 PM
Plugged the tube nipple, filled the reservoir with water, but there was no leak. Wonder if wrangling out the electric power plug managed to re-seat the leaking pump seal?

Fortunately the hard part of the reservoir removal operation was taking out the battery to make room. Removing the reservoir itself wasn't too much hassle, just disconnected 2 screws, the electric power plug and tube.

Will try reinstalling it and see if the leak returns.

VXorado
06/11/2011, 03:18 PM
You could always just go to a junkyard and pull a replacement from a rodeo or passport. I got a reservoir/pump setup from a pull & pay lot for $5 last year after I found a similar leak.

LittleBeast
06/11/2011, 06:05 PM
My pump went out so I got a new one on Amazon for $15 :-) and it comes with all the fittings you need. Easy fix!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CB6AHO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Bill Brown
06/15/2011, 11:57 AM
Any recommendations about how to remove and clean the washer spray nozzles? I suspect restricted nozzles caused my pump leak.

BTW, thanks for the leaking pump fixes.

RickOKC
06/15/2011, 12:13 PM
Remove the hood liner, pull the hose from the nozzle, use a deep socket (14mm?)to unscrew the nozzle.

tom4bren
06/16/2011, 05:13 AM
& run down to your local parts store to get replacements for the hood liner fasteners that you break:):):)

vxcp
05/21/2015, 04:40 PM
Got the pump LittleBeast references above. Did the trick.

I recommend some male spade connectors. Even better is this: http://www.powerwerx.com/oem-connectors/original-2-pin-connector-radio-side.html

I wired Blue/red (+) wire to top of T.

johnnyapollo
05/21/2015, 07:49 PM
Did the same thing recently - leaking through the pump, so replaced. Fairly quick job - did have to move the battery a bit out of the way.

-- John