PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Advice needed on electrical connection for DRLs...

ron
06/10/2011, 02:32 PM
Hello..

I'm planning to add some DRLs and have most of the wiring figured out except that I need verification for one connection (#30). Let me explain what I have thus far. I have a 5 lead relay and here is my planned connections with the pins:

#85: ground (-)
#86: low beam (+)
#30: ? (+)
#87A: DRL (+)
#87: not connected

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/12527647e8755a545f7.bmp

The ideal scenario is that the DRLs will come ON when ignition is switched ON and OFF when I switched the headlights ON. Also, would like the DRLs to be OFF when switched to ACC (as I don't want the lights to be on while I'm parked with the engine off and radio on).

I need clarification on where to hook pin #30 for a (+) source. I checked out the cigar lighter fuse and there's power still on ACC. Thinking about the ELEC. IG or IG. COIL fuse to tap into at the fuse box. But, I don't want to short anything out or be stuck if the fuse shorts either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or feedback if I have the wrong set up for what I want. Thanks in advance! rudy

Ldub
06/10/2011, 02:49 PM
This may be of some help...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15814&highlight=DRL

A search of "DRL" will provide many hours of entertainment...:smilewink

Who :heart: ya Buddy...:yes:

etlsport
06/11/2011, 05:57 AM
Rudy,

The A/C blower/controls work only when the engine is running. However I'm not sure how this is accomplished. The power for it in the fuse box is constant, and then there is an ign relay in the fuse box that pulses once when the car is started it and once when the engine is turned off, signaling the AC to turn on or off. I would probably start checking the wires going into the AC controls though.

In my case what I would do is wire the 86 terminal to the cigar outlet, and the 85 to the ground on the e-brake. then i would run 30 directly to the battery and 87 obviously out to your lights.

This will provide power to the DRLs any time the ACC or IGN is on, but will turn them off when you pull the e-brake. This would work for me because any time my vx is turned off the e-brake is on. This is how Subaru sets up their DRLs, they are on any time the vehicle is running and e-brake is off. So you could pull the e-brake if you are sitting in a parking lot or wherever and they would be off.

This option does not allow for them turning off when the low beams come on. Your current set up does not allow for this either. In fact, it looks like your current set up will only work when you have your low beams switched on?

The best way I can think of to disable the DRLs is to take the ground off the low beam and run it into the 87a terminal and make 30 a direct ground. Then you can provide constant power to the DRLs and make the 87 terminal the ground for the DRLs. This will provide a ground to the low beams any time the DRLs are turned off. However I'm not sure how to make the DRL relay to switch off and make this happen.

I'll think on it a bit more today, hopefully my thinking out loud helps trigger something for you or someone else to chime in

etlsport
06/11/2011, 06:09 AM
Just had another thought. What if you put a solar battery charger in the VX somewhere. The 12v signal from that could be used to trigger the relay. Then when there was not enough sun to provide current from the solar charger, the low beams would work. Only problem with this is the sensitivity of the charger, because your headlights wouldnt work as long as the charger is getting adequate sunlight.

It should be much easier to wire it to do everything you want by using 2 different relays. If you are ok doing that I can come up with a wiring diagram for that.

Triathlete
06/11/2011, 06:27 AM
All the Canadian VXers have to have dlr's...maybe one of them will chime in.

ron
06/11/2011, 06:40 AM
This may be of some help...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15814&highlight=DRL

A search of "DRL" will provide many hours of entertainment...:smilewink

Who :heart: ya Buddy...:yes:

Thanks Ldub. Yeah, I researched that thread along with others to no avail. I'm incorporatint separate led lamps for my drls. I believe the thread you suggest was more for converting the headlights temporarily to drls. But, thanks for the input!:)

ron
06/11/2011, 06:55 AM
This option does not allow for them turning off when the low beams come on. Your current set up does not allow for this either. In fact, it looks like your current set up will only work when you have your low beams switched on?

Thanks etlsport for your insight. That's what I'm trying to achieve. When you turn ON your headlights, then the drls would turn OFF. As I mentioned to Ldubs reply, I'm inorporating seperate led lamps instead of tryng to convert the head lights to drls. I liked your idea of using the e-brake. But, as you said, it'll remain ON even when you turn on the headlights. Really hoping that I can keep that from happening. Do you think my set up won't work w/ seperate led lamps?

Marlin
06/11/2011, 07:43 AM
Hmm, why can't they be on at the same time? Any particular reason? If not, just use the power window fuse, it only has power when the truck is on, or better yet, get a foglight switch, run the power to that off of the the power window/defrost take your pick. I have all of my accessories, digital rear view, ac inverter, cb and whatnot wired that way. They are only on when the truck the key is in ACC. It also gives me the ability to turn everything off and it it is OEM. Just a thought. (The foglight switch output would go to power your relay, power to the load would come straight off the battery. I keep all of my stuff in a Radioshack hobby box inside the glovebox. Works great, wiring tips from the foglight how-to made by the bossman, just move it around as needed to fit your setup)
I think this may be your best option, it wouldn't automatically turn off with your headlights though, but I am not sure what difference it makes? Aren't most DRL just a lower voltage provided to the regular HL?

Triathlete
06/11/2011, 08:31 AM
In order to get it to turn off when your headlights are on you may have to run 2 relays. Set up the system to work when the ignition is on and then have the 2nd relay operated by the headlight power to open the circuit turning off the DRL's.

Hiredgoon
06/11/2011, 10:36 AM
All the Canadian VXers have to have dlr's...maybe one of them will chime in.

Mine were wired when I got it, but the way it's set up isn't what you're looking for, from what I can tell. My headlights are on if the ignition key is turned to anything but off.

Gizmo42
06/11/2011, 09:00 PM
The best way is a combination of what etlsport and triathlete mentioned. You need 2 relays for it to work the way you describe. I looked into this on my mistubishi when I was planning to move to Canada.

Relay #1

86 - 12v when ignition/acc on
85 - ground through e-brake switch
30 - fused 12v to battery
87 - 30 on relay #2
87a - not used

Relay #2
86 - low beam circuit
85 - ground
30 - 87 on relay #1
87a - DLRs
87 - not used

This will turn off the dlrs anytime the e-brake is on, the headlights are on, or the ignition switch is off.

etlsport
06/12/2011, 06:49 AM
The best way is a combination of what etlsport and triathlete mentioned. You need 2 relays for it to work the way you describe. I looked into this on my mistubishi when I was planning to move to Canada.

Relay #1

87 - 30 on relay #2
87a - not used

Relay #2
86 - low beam circuit
85 - ground
30 - 87 on relay #1
87a - DLRs
87 - not used

This will turn off the dlrs anytime the e-brake is on, the headlights are on, or the ignition switch is off.

ding ding ding :thumbup:

ron
06/12/2011, 03:04 PM
Relay #1

87 - 30 on relay #2
87a - not used

Relay #2
86 - low beam circuit
85 - ground
30 - 87 on relay #1
87a - DLRs
87 - not used

Thanks Gizmo42, eltsport, and all for your detailed input. I just need to confirm the connections (in RED) before I do this so I know I don't short anything out in the process:

Relay #1

86 - 12v when ignition/acc on (+ cig. lighter fuse in fuse box)
85 - ground through e-brake switch (- in e-brake wire)
30 - fused 12v to battery (+ on battery)
87 - 30 on relay #2
87a - not used

Relay #2
86 - low beam circuit (+ on low beam wire)
85 - ground
30 - 87 on relay #1
87a - DLRs (+ on DRL wire while GROUND for DRL -)
87 - not used

Also, is it safe to assume that the two DRLs are connected in parallel?

Thanks again guys for your input and verification! It's very helpful and educational! rudy