PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove JDM Factory Wind Deflectors

vt_maverick
06/08/2011, 04:11 PM
Have a guy that would be willing to part them if he could figure out how to remove them... anybody with a JDM VX got ideas? Thanks!

Y33TREKker
06/08/2011, 05:01 PM
Sawzall? :smilewink

Grif
06/08/2011, 05:08 PM
How did I know that was coming??

ron
06/08/2011, 05:24 PM
If it's the same jdm wind deflectors I once had, they can use Goop Off as they are held on by 3m double sided tape. Rudy

JHarris1385
06/08/2011, 06:59 PM
For you or for me?

blacksambo
06/08/2011, 07:57 PM
I'd like to buy them???? ( On, or off.)

IndianaVX
06/08/2011, 08:03 PM
Prototype???

vt_maverick
06/09/2011, 01:52 AM
I'd be willing to ship them to somebody who could make a mold and reproduce them. But they are not for sale (if I can get them).

crotchrocket
06/09/2011, 04:48 AM
They have some of that really sticky stuff holding them on. I believe with a hair dryer and some patience you could peel them off.

samneil2000
06/09/2011, 05:37 AM
Maybe a razor blade?

JHarris1385
06/09/2011, 10:11 AM
Mold Them!

ron
06/09/2011, 10:44 AM
They have some of that really sticky stuff holding them on. I believe with a hair dryer and some patience you could peel them off.

The wind deflectors are held on by the same stuff as the emblems (3M double-sided tape). As per crotchrocket's suggetion, after heating it up, like the emblems, saturate the adhesive area with Goo Gone, wait a few minutes, then use dental floss to start on an edge. Once you get that first edge lifted, keep spraying Goo Gone along while you slowly peel back. You would need to be mindful not to stress the plastic part too far too soon otherwise you may crack it! Use the floss, spray goo gone, slowly pull the part back. Repeat.

You'll eventually loosen up the grip of the tape and remove the part. Then with spray more goo gone to remove the rest of the adhesive remains and your good to go. Though, Goo Gone is pretty safe on most painted surfaces, I would first try a little in a small inconspicuous location to test it first. Good luck and feel free to let me to ask q's. rudy

ron
06/09/2011, 10:50 AM
I'd be willing to ship them to somebody who could make a mold and reproduce them. But they are not for sale (if I can get them).

When I had mine, I considered making a positive mold out of them to reproduce them. The only way I could think of reproducing them would be to vacuum form them (like my skidplates back then). Unfortunately, my vacuum-former's business had closed down and I would need to find another vendor who has a large former to accommodate the size and willing to do small numbers in production.

Making the mold would take time to fabricate for two sides. But it's doable.

rudy

JAMAS
06/09/2011, 12:09 PM
But it's doable.

DO IT!!!
:yesy: :yesy: :yesy: :yesy: :yesy: :yesy: :yesy: :yesy:

tom4bren
06/09/2011, 12:15 PM
;puke:

Wind deflectors must be the European equivalent of cup holders to Americans.

'Course, I don't like tinted windows either

Rekin that just makes me special.

Cobrajet
06/09/2011, 01:47 PM
When I had mine, I considered making a positive mold out of them to reproduce them. The only way I could think of reproducing them would be to vacuum form them (like my skidplates back then). Unfortunately, my vacuum-former's business had closed down and I would need to find another vendor who has a large former to accommodate the size and willing to do small numbers in production.

Making the mold would take time to fabricate for two sides. But it's doable.

rudy
Anybody friends with Jay Leno? I'm sure his 3D scanner and printer could produce a copy to build a mold from.

ron
06/09/2011, 02:08 PM
Anybody friends with Jay Leno? I'm sure his 3D scanner and printer could produce a copy to build a mold from.

No need to bother Jay with this. LOL! Anyone can go to any fab shop that offer 3d scanning and cnc machining to get this done. It just cost money to do what needs to be done to produce a part. Not certain whether there may be issues with scanning a near transparent part as it's done through a laser and it may not detect the surface. However, you may need to add a temporary color (water base) or tape the inside surface to prevent the laser from going through when scanning. Hope this helps. rudy

IndianaVX
06/09/2011, 07:56 PM
Or maybe cover both sides with vinyl transfer temporarily to scan.
And I would check the goo Von on the plastic also!

surf-life
06/10/2011, 09:33 AM
I want some of these so bad!!

vt_maverick
06/10/2011, 01:07 PM
Well unfortunately it fell through, he says that several buyers have taken a look at it and are interested in keeping them if they buy. Guess we'll see.

nfpgasmask
06/10/2011, 01:14 PM
Personally, I think the JDM wind deflectors are too big. I like the Weathertechs a lot more, they are almost not even noticable. Plus, the Weathertechs use no adhesive.

Bart

blacksambo
06/13/2011, 08:00 PM
Personally, I think the JDM wind deflectors are too big. I like the Weathertechs a lot more, they are almost not even noticable. Plus, the Weathertechs use no adhesive.

Bart

It's all about style and taste. I personally don't think the original desin team made very many styling mistakes and tha goes for the wind deflectors.