PDA

View Full Version : Overheating possible electrical issue?

crager34
06/06/2011, 10:26 AM
Kind of piggy-backing on my water pump thread a bit and haven't read anything about this before.

Water pump and thermostat check out fine I am told, so it's most likely electrical? I have never heard of this before and my electric and A/C fan are working fine.

Thoughts??

VX crazy
06/06/2011, 10:41 AM
Kind of piggy-backing on my water pump thread a bit and haven't read anything about this before.

Water pump and thermostat check out fine I am told, so it's most likely electrical? I have never heard of this before and my electric and A/C fan are working fine.

Thoughts??

Need more info, is when in stop and go traffic? Or all the time? Mine gets hot here in stop and go traffic but I have new water pump and we are doing the electric fan conversion since the stock fan you can freely spin when the engine is off......check yours maybe

Triathlete
06/06/2011, 11:00 AM
Another thing to consider is your tranny. Your fluid could be low enough to cause overheating but still have enough in it to shift smoothly. This would especially happen when going up long or steep climbs. I know this first hand from my trip into the upper elevations this weekend...and it will not trip any of the idiot lights.

crager34
06/06/2011, 11:17 AM
Need more info, is when in stop and go traffic? Or all the time? Mine gets hot here in stop and go traffic but I have new water pump and we are doing the electric fan conversion since the stock fan you can freely spin when the engine is off......check yours maybe

Stop and go and larger than normal pull on the engine as when going up hills. When it does this I just turn the temp up to 85+ deg and roll the windows down then I am fine.

Another thing to consider is your tranny. Your fluid could be low enough to cause overheating but still have enough in it to shift smoothly. This would especially happen when going up long or steep climbs. I know this first hand from my trip into the upper elevations this weekend...and it will not trip any of the idiot lights.

Haven't looked at this and I am due for an oil change, so I'll get that looked at also.

SoTxVx
06/06/2011, 06:00 PM
Had problems with my '99 getting hot while idling in hot temps (high 90s and above) with the AC on for more than 10 minutes. Cap, radiator cleaning, 50/50 coolant instead of 100%, fan clutch and thermostat all done over the last 4 years and the problem still persisted.

Wasn't going to sweat while coming home from work again this summer. Replaced the water pump, timing belt & related components and installed this 17" electric fan setup.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/medium/06062011011.jpg

It has been right around 100F every day here since I fininshed the work last Thursday night. Friday afternoon sit in line for about 25 minutes. The gauge never moved from just below half way and the AC is rocking. Line was about 10 minutes today and same story, AC rocks and temp gauge is rock steady.

Can't say it wasn't the old water pump causing the problem. But the old one didn't leak and the vanes looked as good if not better than the new one installed.

Can say that this 17" fan setup moves a lot of air any time it is on and a problem I have been fighting for awhile appears to be solved by it.

The manufacturer or distributor FF Dynamics. Joe is in technical person there that worked with me to get the right setup. What I got from the guy selling the setup on Ebay wasn't correct. The kit on Ebay is a shround, two 12" fans, temp probe and adjustable controller w/relay that does't work as well as the stock setup. The kit I ended up with after working with Joe was a slightly larger shroud, single 17" fan, temp probe, relay and adjustable controller w/relay.

p_justin13
06/07/2011, 12:20 PM
Do you have an aftermarket air intake setup? I had ton's of issues with my temp when I went to aftermarket air intake setup, it was sucking all the hot air from around the engine. Had to fab up a schroud to keep hot air away from and had no issues since.

circmand
06/08/2011, 07:16 AM
Going up hill with a load will cause the temp to rise fast and far. Shifting to 3rd brought temp to regular every time. However I also saw greatly increased oil consumption that may be related

crager34
06/08/2011, 09:13 AM
Do you have an aftermarket air intake setup? I had ton's of issues with my temp when I went to aftermarket air intake setup, it was sucking all the hot air from around the engine. Had to fab up a schroud to keep hot air away from and had no issues since.

I have a stock intake.

crager34
06/14/2011, 07:32 AM
Replaced the water pump, timing belt & related components and installed this 17" electric fan setup.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/medium/06062011011.jpg

Can say that this 17" fan setup moves a lot of air any time it is on and a problem I have been fighting for awhile appears to be solved by it.

The manufacturer or distributor FF Dynamics. Joe is in technical person there that worked with me to get the right setup. The kit I ended up with after working with Joe was a slightly larger shroud, single 17" fan, temp probe, relay and adjustable controller w/relay.

Just purchased one of these from Joe at FFD for $285 shipped. I sure hope it helps with my overheating issue, same as yours John. :yeso:

rsteinmetz70112
06/14/2011, 09:17 AM
Have you had the radiator checked? It could be corroded or blocked inside reducing flow/ heat exchange.

crager34
06/14/2011, 11:16 AM
Have you had the radiator checked? It could be corroded or blocked inside reducing flow/ heat exchange.

Have a relativly new one. Been tracking this down for awhile now.... I'll find it someday. :_brickwal

Triathlete
06/14/2011, 11:49 AM
Have a relativly new one. Been tracking this down for awhile now.... I'll find it someday. :_brickwal

Is could still possibly be bad from factory.
Wife wrecked her new car 15 years or so ago....front end smooshed! Dealer replaced front end parts including radiator but apparently "forgot" to check the system in the 6+ months that they had our car. Wife went to pick up car while I was at work. I get a call from her that car overheated on drive home. I took it back next day not a happy camper and they quickly learned this! In the words of Ron White..."I told you this story to tell you this story". The new radiator was bad...tubes blocked, no flow...but it was new.:yesy::bwgy: