PDA

View Full Version : outer cv joint

vxfocus
05/29/2011, 09:54 AM
anyone know how to disassemble the outer cv joints.i cant figure it out.
the manual just tells ya how to take the inner apart?????

Mile High VX
05/29/2011, 10:01 AM
This may help...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17832&highlight=outer+CV

vxfocus
05/29/2011, 11:25 AM
nope that just tells how to take apart the inner cv joint.

tom4bren
05/31/2011, 02:35 AM
I ran into the same problem. I took it to a shop to get it done. I need to stop by there today after work, so I'll ask.

tom4bren
05/31/2011, 10:46 AM
I asked the guy at the axle shop. He indicated that sometimes they come apart with a little friendly persuasion ... sometimes they can be a real BEEEOTCH. He recommends that if you can't get them apart fairly easily, not to bother since you could end up damaging more than what you are trying to fix.

Don't shoot the messager - Dat's just what the guy told me.:)

vxfocus
05/31/2011, 04:26 PM
thanx for the effort tom4bren

Gizmo42
06/01/2011, 09:36 PM
They arent really meant to be taken apart. To get them apart, search youtube for "cv joint pipe trick". I have no idea how to get it back together though.

vxfocus
06/06/2011, 09:54 AM
thanx

VehiX
06/06/2011, 10:44 AM
Remove old CV boot with razor. Place jack under the A arm in just the right spot. Would also recommend additional stands for stability. Remove the four bolts holding the ball joint in place on the bottom. Carefully remove the snap ring(s). Swing the ball joint and rotor out of the way and pull the CV joint out. It should slide out with a little persuasion and wiggling. There is no need to disassemble the brakes.

This should get you started. Sorry for the complete lack of details on this post.

tom4bren
06/06/2011, 10:58 AM
That gets the inner CVs apart but the outers are a different matter entirely.

Kenny
06/07/2011, 04:34 PM
Curious as to why you are trying to take it apart? To regrease or replace the spline end?

Just so happens I was under the car this weekend and found two torn outer boots (no Larry, not the Mecatechs). Looks like I have a fun Saturday in July ahead of me. When I'm in there I'll take pics, but I wouldn't be surprised that the outer joint is similar to the inner with a cage and bearing held in by a C-ring. Well guess I'll find out - and post pics in a few weeks. Or like Gizmo says - not made to easily come apart.

vxfocus
06/08/2011, 12:45 PM
i have the front carrier ,differential and drive axles out of my vx(diff needs rebuilt) i probably wont put it back in till fall.
i wanted to take the outer cv joint apart to keep the splined ends in the hub to keep dirt out of the bearings

tom4bren
06/08/2011, 12:45 PM
...but I wouldn't be surprised that the outer joint is similar to the inner with a cage and bearing held in by a C-ring. Well guess I'll find out - and post pics in a few weeks. Or like Gizmo says - not made to easily come apart.

Prepare to be suprised. No C-ring.

You'll end up installing the outer CV boots using the same instructions you used for the inners. The only difference will be that after you disassemble the inner CV, you'll slide the outer boot all the way down the shaft. Careful cutting the bands off of your inners since you'll probably want to re-use the boot. It's easy to cut the boot in the process.

vxfocus
06/08/2011, 01:39 PM
i know there is no c ring thats why i cant figure out how to get the outer apart?

tom4bren
06/08/2011, 02:18 PM
OH NO! vxfocus & I are mind synched ... AAARRRGGG!!!

crotchrocket
06/09/2011, 04:51 AM
Hey,

There is a circlip in the outer CV, the only way to gett it off (from my experience) is with a big hammer and / or a grinder at the end. They go on, but dont come off and designed in that way. If your taking them off you will need new ones to get them off. As i said, one side came off with a hammer (snapping the ring) and the other requried cutting out the final part arround the shaft.

tom4bren
06/09/2011, 06:45 AM
Yes, I was pretty sure that there was an external clip on the end of the splined shaft. What seems to be missing is an internal clip in the green cup.