PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting over 18 mpg!

eternal21
05/29/2011, 09:38 AM
I was averaging around 300 miles to a tank (15mpg) pretty much since I got the truck. Last week, I hit 362 miles before the fuel light came on. I was tempted to push it to see if I could get 19mpg, but due to other circumstances, it was deemed wise not to do that *lol*. Regardless, I was pretty pleased to see it happen. My truck is completely stock engine-wise. I haven't even changed the plugs since I bought it in Sept. of last year. The only thing I did before the mileage change was finally change the oil, and I went to my preferred brand, Royal Purple. Now, I'm not saying the RP change can be contributed to the mileage increase, but the before and after is a pretty strong indication that it had something to do with it.

On my 2nd fill up, I'm @ 125 miles and have gone through ~1/3 of a tank. Hopefully this is here to stay. I plan on changing the air filter and spark plugs in June, and today I'm installing an electric fan. At some point, I'd like to see 20mpg, even if it happens once.

VX KAT
05/29/2011, 10:53 AM
Keep trying! Apparently it can be done....I got 22.5 MPG, all stock, on highway on my way to Moab the first time. I re-checked my numbers and it seemed to be accurate....:_thinking
Of course now I've added like a zillion lbs to the truck in mods, (steel skids, bigger tires) and am about to add 90 more lbs in steel rock sliders. Best I get now on highway is about 17.5.
Check out this site: fuelly.com
You can keep track of your fill ups/mileage and price.
Here's my profile: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vxkat/vehicross

eternal21
05/29/2011, 11:26 AM
In the future I'm going to go to 18s and add some add'l weight, as well. I'd be happy w/17.5 with all the future mods.

That's for the tip on fuelly.com. I keep track of mileage, maintenance, etc. w/an App on my Tablet called aCar. Exports the information to *.csv, and it's pretty comprehensive. It is a push that I can immediately enter information for the car or the VX while I'm at the gas station filling up, so I'm more inclined to use it :)

etlsport
05/29/2011, 03:05 PM
I'm on fuelly too, you an see my average on my sig and see my profile by clicking on it.

I was regularly getting 18+ mpg with oversized tires and a spare in the rear, then i added my roof basket and im back down again, but if you try you can definitely squeeze some mpg out of the vx by driving carefully

Chopper
05/30/2011, 06:13 AM
It's mostly driving conditions. 0177 got about 15mpg when new, and by the time it made it to 35k miles, I was regularly getting 18-19 mpg average. My Nittos are oversized at 255/18, but really, the way they fit, it's the size that the car should have had stock.
Now at almost 50,000 miles, I'm averaging about 19mpg..............**it is very flat and smooth here. Going at speeds greater than 6omph greatly affects milage, and at 75 or 80mph, I'm seeing 14, 13, and even less
It's livable as long as I don't push:yeso:

Dmitrikr
05/30/2011, 02:55 PM
Yes. mine gave me 18.5mpg right now on the trip from Ontario to somerset, Ma.

BeeVenom
05/30/2011, 06:28 PM
I think 18, 19, 20 is just about right. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. No matter what, they're still so damn much fun!!! ;)

Dmitrikr
05/30/2011, 07:37 PM
I think 18, 19, 20 is just about right. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. No matter what, they're still so damn much fun!!! ;)
Yea, soo many fingers pointing towards the truck that's for sure))):bgwo:

blacksambo
05/30/2011, 08:36 PM
Try Lucas fuel additive, it works.

subject47
05/31/2011, 06:47 AM
How are you guys getting such high numbers. Im lucky if I hit 13 MPG. I do only drive 14 miles a day and only 4 of that on the highway but thats a huge gap Its not like I put my foot down either and IM only running 32 inch tires

WormGod
05/31/2011, 06:51 AM
Good times. I averaged about 12-13 this weekend. Better than usual actually. ;)

etlsport
05/31/2011, 06:57 AM
I was around 15mpg when I first started tracking my mpg. Since then I started coasting more and slowed my average highway speed from 75 to 70. Less use of the brakes when safe or extremely annoying to those behind me and I was hitting 19-20 highway until I put my roof basket on, now it's like 17-18 highway. Then city has gone from 12-13 to 15-16 with more coasting, limiting bat out of hell takeoffs (I still have to do them occasionally, I'm not driving like a granny here!) and using idle to get me going before traffic actually starts moving

PittVXr
06/01/2011, 01:01 PM
With summer blend gas my mileage is up about 10%. I don't know why it makes a difference, but I'm not complaining.

eternal21
06/01/2011, 09:34 PM
With summer blend gas my mileage is up about 10%. I don't know why it makes a difference, but I'm not complaining.

That's odd, b/c ethanol actually decreases gas mileage by about 10%. Pure ethanol has an effective octane rating of about 105-106 octane, though, for those that want to run it :) Not recommended, however, if you are going to be using reg. gas, as well.

How are you guys getting such high numbers. Im lucky if I hit 13 MPG. I do only drive 14 miles a day and only 4 of that on the highway but thats a huge gap Its not like I put my foot down either and IM only running 32 inch tires

I dunno, to tell you the truth. The most I saw prior to my oil change was 320 miles/tank (16mpg). All I did was change the oil and make a decision to spend a lot more time following people instead of letting them follow me *lol*. Worked wonders. Don't get me wrong, I still get up on it every now and again, but I'm trying to be a better steward of my environment, whatever that means. I can't wait to see how much the mpg increase when I yank out the auto and put in the 5MT!

djvx
06/01/2011, 11:08 PM
Try Lucas fuel additive, it works.

Can one of you "fuelly" types test this product? I used it on my last fill up and it seemed to give me crazy good mileage. :happyface

helf
06/02/2011, 03:14 PM
On the drive home from my initial purchase of my VX in December, I got 22mpg. I was following my dad in his work van dragging a trailer doing 62mph on cruise. I ran premium the whole way as well. If you don't mind driving slow, you can get OK gas mileage out of most vehicles :)

I average 13-14mpg in town (14.8 two tanks ago) depending on how I drive. My last tank I only got 11.7mpg, but I had my foot on the floor a lot

subject47
06/10/2011, 05:40 AM
So I just finished making a 500 mile trip from Maryland to Kentucky. My first fill up I did the math and the results said 13.5, but I did notice some issues with my tire size.

The math on my tire size differance should have been only a 3% differance so I never bothered plugging that into my mileage calculations, but the differance is really 10% that made a dramatic change in mileage.

My second fill up I got 17.5 MPG and that was doing 70 MPH using cruise through the mountains. Needless to say I'm pleased with the results and feel like an idiot for not paying closer attention to the real world Differance my tire size made

eternal21
06/10/2011, 07:47 PM
When you say "tire size", it sounds as if you changed your tires prior to the 2nd fill up. Do you mean you adjusted your air pressure? And if so, are you running a stock rim/tire setup? What pressure did you end up adjusting to?

Gizmo42
06/11/2011, 09:08 PM
I used to regularly get 16 mpg in my rodeo if I just went to work and back. After adding the roof rack fairing to arc the air up over my roof basket and tire, I got 18 mpg the last 2 tanks. Got 24 and 21 mpg in the 2 fuel stops to Moab (had to make an extra stop because Jack couldnt make it all the way on 1 tank) and got 22 on the way back. I took it off today to see if it drops again but will probably put it back on tomorrow for the long highway run if I end up going to meet n greet in FoCo.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/12/2011, 10:13 AM
My VX is the only vehicle out of the 12 vehicles total I've owned that seems to get better fuel mileage as the outside temp goes up. Aside from the increase I get with summer blend...it does better in hotter weather. My all-time best mileage figures came on highway trips in 90 deg or hotter days. I got 22.5 mpg going to Vermont in 90+ temps & got 23 mpg going through the Mohave Desert on I15 headed to Las Vegas in 90+ temps. Typically I get 14.5 mpg in winter & 16.5 mpg in spring and early summer.

I am currenly trying to get my brakes to quit wearing prematurely on the caliper side (inside) pads. I just changed the brake pads again for the umteenth time to pass inspection with the outer pads like new and the inner pads shot on all four wheels. Dragging pads has got to be robbing me mpg even though it is totally not noticable when coasting. I'm not sure if its the caliper sliders "sticking" due to the dirt road I live on contaminating the silicone grease I use in the sliders or the calipers not backing off due to corrosion from highway salts? I either have to switch to a new type of grease for the sliders or try periodically (every 3-6 months) cleaning & re-lubing stuff. Also haven't ruled out replacing all the calipers. I also tried soaking the calipers while they were apart and sitting on top my rotors with PB Blaster. It has got to be a "rust-belt" thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!