PDA

View Full Version : how to change the thermostat

zadam123
05/28/2011, 06:56 AM
Does anyone have a step by step guide for novices to change a thermostat? Preferably a video. Is it really that hard and that much work?
Thanks

Ldub
05/28/2011, 07:28 AM
It's not that hard...but it IS that much work...:(

The whole intake manifold has to come off to access the thermostat. It's a good time to replace the intake gaskets.
Also, when you finally get to the thermo housing, there is a hard pipe coming off the back side that is sealed by an O-ring, (it is a feed or return line for the heater core) if you bugger up that O-ring upon disassembly or reassembly, you won't know it until everything is all back together & you're adding antifreeze, which sucks because you have to tear the whole intake off AGAIN to fix it...:upsetgray

You can guess how I know this...:_wrench:

Might be a good idea to have a new O-ring & intake gaskets on hand when you do this...:yesgray:

Also, give all the rubber hoses that are routed under the intake manifold close inspection & replace any that look even slightly cracked, to prevent problems in the future.
I'm not 100% sure on replacing the gasket between the top & bottom halves of the common chamber, (intake plenum) as I've only done this on a supercharged application, (different intake) but it is probably a good idea to do as well.

http://www.rockauto.com/

rowhard
05/28/2011, 11:06 AM
I was going to suggest downloading workshop manual that is available here under download/manuals, but guess what, it doesn't saying anything about removing the intake manifold, which I know you have to. Anyway, good for torque values.

mhill
05/28/2011, 12:07 PM
LDUB you rock!

Glad I didnt let you figure out how not to do a transfer case at the stoop! :D

zadam123
05/28/2011, 01:30 PM
i also noticed that the manual dont show anything which is weird thats why i was hoping for a video tutorial. someone please?

Dmitrikr
05/28/2011, 07:10 PM
you can take t stat out without removing upper plenum. BUT!!! need swivel sockets to remove three bolts, lots of sweat and BAD words to pull pipe out, long magnet to put bolt in a holes, time to fish them back if they fall in, screw them properly into the holes ant etc...\ did it once. nor more. prefer to take plenum now.

Ldub
05/29/2011, 12:09 PM
LDUB you rock!

Glad I didn't let you figure out how not to do a transfer case at the stoop! :D

I'm at a loss as to how to take that...:_confused.:laughing:

Cuz I DID figure out how NOT to do a trans case @ the stoop...:smilewink

Gizmo42
06/01/2011, 09:40 PM
Anyway, good for torque values.

Depends on which torque values they have listed. Originally the intake bolts were torqued to 17 ft lbs. They were dropped a couple times and finally ended up at 13 ft lbs due to lower gaskets cracking at the higher values.