PDA

View Full Version : RCV half shaft interest poll

tom4bren
05/24/2011, 07:05 AM
All,

I'm going to re-engage RCV performance about getting these made but I need to know how many people are going to be interested. Only check yes if you plan on buying a set this calendar year. Once they have sold a few, I'm sure that you'll be able to order from their site when you are ready.

The price seems steep at $1800 but that's the same price that Isuzu charges for OEM replacement ones.

Even though I'm having a set of OEM re-built as we speak, I'll be ordering a set since they will basically remove what I consider the weakest link of my driveline.

Here is the thread where it has been discussed:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18705

Tom

mhill
05/24/2011, 08:06 AM
This year Moab claimed 2 front Differentials that I know of. But no cv's??? I would be interested in building a stronger rig with the new RCV'S when mine go. :yesgray:

waaaaht
05/24/2011, 11:00 AM
i talked to the only shop that does cv's around here (coast CV and Axle) he said if i take them out and bring them to him that he would rebuild them for 50$ for each side. Normaly he charges 200$ per side.

tom4bren
05/24/2011, 11:29 AM
If you go that route:

1. The instructions for diff drop installation will be helpful:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=49

2. Your VX will be undriveable during the re-build since the axles hold the 'juice' in the pumpkin.

spaceCADETzoom
05/24/2011, 05:25 PM
I would buy now.

Marlin
05/25/2011, 03:58 AM
I have thought more about this. At 1800, its just way too much. You are getting really close to the SAS cost at that point. Even Indy sells all the Dana44 and all the extras needed for 6K. That is with 5.38s and a locker. Get rid of the 5.38,there is 1K, get rid of the ARB and go to an aussie, there is another 600. You could get a SAS done for about 6k. I have decided to save my pennies rather than mess with our ridiculous front drive train anymore. After holding the rear axles in my hand, and messing with the front prop shaft, our front drivetrain is flimsy at best, especially compared to the rear portion.
Add a super strong set of CVs, whats the next thing in line to fail? I have no idea, I would guess the front prop shaft, but I dunno.

spaceCADETzoom
05/25/2011, 08:06 AM
I respect that, but at what point do we say to ourselves: " why didnt i just buy a jeep?"

I bought a vehicross, and the ifs along with it. heck, if I dropped the driver part of my brain, and spoke purely as a pasenger, the dang jeep would be a LOT more liveable and practical. different strokes. Some would say the same thing to me about ome springs. But its the vx-ness that has kept my ranchos in the box and the really unique oem shocks in its place...

tom4bren
05/25/2011, 09:19 AM
I have thought more about this. At 1800, its just way too much. You are getting really close to the SAS cost at that point. Even Indy sells all the Dana44 and all the extras needed for 6K. That is with 5.38s and a locker. Get rid of the 5.38,there is 1K, get rid of the ARB and go to an aussie, there is another 600. You could get a SAS done for about 6k. I have decided to save my pennies rather than mess with our ridiculous front drive train anymore. After holding the rear axles in my hand, and messing with the front prop shaft, our front drivetrain is flimsy at best, especially compared to the rear portion.
Add a super strong set of CVs, whats the next thing in line to fail? I have no idea, I would guess the front prop shaft, but I dunno.

Dude - I think you've spent too much time around that radioactive stuff. the math just doesn't add up. Since when is $1.8K "getting really close" to $6K.

Just jerking your chain Dude.

I'm not trying to sell 'em ... just want to get them available as an option. I respect the points that led to your decision, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.:yesy:

Ldub
05/30/2011, 05:59 AM
I respect that, but at what point do we say to ourselves: " why didnt i just buy a jeep?"

I bought a vehicross, and the ifs along with it. heck, if I dropped the driver part of my brain, and spoke purely as a pasenger, the dang jeep would be a LOT more liveable and practical. different strokes. Some would say the same thing to me about ome springs. But its the vx-ness that has kept my ranchos in the box and the really unique oem shocks in its place...

X2...:thumbup:

Even lifted to the nvts & rollin' on 35's, I can out corner most anything that is nuts enough to challenge me on the road...:naughty:

Yesterday I had some yahoo in a sportagee thinkin' he was fast try to pass me in a corner. Dropped to 2nd & stabbed the skinny...:slap:

Game OVER!

Marlin
05/30/2011, 07:19 AM
X2...:thumbup:

Even lifted to the nvts & rollin' on 35's, I can out corner most anything that is nuts enough to challenge me on the road...:naughty:

Yesterday I had some yahoo in a sportagee thinkin' he was fast try to pass me in a corner. Dropped to 2nd & stabbed the skinny...:slap:

Game OVER!

How very very sad when our level of measure is a Kia Sportage. A 20K sportage vs a 30K Zu is like comparing a Nissan Sentra to a Mustang GT.
:rolleyes:

Ldub
05/30/2011, 07:36 AM
How very very sad when our level of measure is a Kia Sportage. A 20K sportage vs a 30K Zu is like comparing a Nissan Sentra to a Mustang GT.
:rolleyes:

What's sad is your math skills...$6k = $1.8k...:laughing:

I didn't choose to try to out corner me...HE did...:yesgray:

Marlin
05/30/2011, 07:49 AM
I get what you are saying, some punk *** kid on 10 speed tried to outrun me the other day...I smoked him.:bgwb:

Bob Barker
05/30/2011, 07:55 AM
Dare you to roll up on me, I've got a 21 speed!

etlsport
05/30/2011, 08:24 AM
I actually DID take a focus on my road bike last year.. he honked at me for going too slow up a hill (what a prick, i was on the shoulder) so once the hill crested i got up to about 40mph (it was a 35mph zone) and blew past him just to make a point

Ldub
05/30/2011, 08:26 AM
I get what you are saying, some punk *** kid on 10 speed tried to outrun me the other day...I smoked him.:bgwb:

With your massive math brain, can you be SURE it had 10 speeds...:confused:

Just cuz...HALF SHAFT!!!

There, I stayed on topic...

tom4bren
05/31/2011, 02:21 AM
BTW, I called RCV the other day. They appear to have a new business plan being implimented.

- New guy answers the phone

- Won't take orders over the phone - must be by email

- Trying to NOT take orders they can not complete

I'll keep you posted.

VXorado
06/03/2011, 02:37 PM
Sounds good Tom, hopefully their new business plan actually includes building CVs...

spaceCADETzoom
06/18/2012, 05:07 AM
....whatever happened to this? One thing stopping me from going with that front ARB is the idea of just killing the stock CVs. Figured hd tie rods, and these super RCV CVs would mitigate most of my issues. otherewise, I may just be spending money to spend money (actually, that's probably what I'm doing no matter what :) )

Marlin
06/18/2012, 06:05 AM
....whatever happened to this? One thing stopping me from going with that front ARB is the idea of just killing the stock CVs. Figured hd tie rods, and these super RCV CVs would mitigate most of my issues. otherewise, I may just be spending money to spend money (actually, that's probably what I'm doing no matter what :) )

I am one of the handful that are locked and I wheel pretty often. I broke a few aftermarket CVs. Have yet to bust an OEM CV. I run the aussie, so always locked. Once you learn to drive it, there are no problems. I would not worry too much. I have wheeled Uwharrie more times than I can count, Moab, and Kansas Rocks, no problemo. My wife has wheeled in her Trooper RS, same setup, also no issues. She is a beginner wheeler, still hasn't broken anything. As I said, I would not worry about it, never had tie rod issues either. If you go to the HD tie rods, the next weak link would be the center drag link, something has to break, might as well pick the easiest to fix on the trail, and to me that is a tie rod, its small, easy to carry an extra and easy to install trail side. If you bust center drag link, good luck getting the pittman arm off...boo!!!!

tom4bren
06/18/2012, 06:40 AM
They never responded to my last inquery. I'll have to try again (basically I lost interest because I'm doing fine with my current CVs and they are about the same cost as OEM ($$$$$$$!!!!!!).

spaceCADETzoom
06/18/2012, 08:19 AM
Hah, emailed a shop local to my parents (the vx is at my parents house while I'm deployed). Was asking on rough labor costs of locker install..got told: "you should spend your money on a real 4x4." :)