PDA

View Full Version : Warn hub install

tom4bren
05/23/2011, 10:59 AM
Wierd

The install is very easy but I did run into one small SNAFU

The external C-clip has to be replaced. The groove used with the OEM slug is up on the splines. The one you need to use with the hubs is further out on the shaft. I assume if you buy a new set, it comes with the new C-clip. I bought mine used so didn't know till the VX was taken apart.

Fastenal had what I needed in the store. I still have the bag if anyone needs the part number.

vt_maverick
05/23/2011, 11:28 AM
I'd go ahead and post the part # here Tom, if for no other reason than for future research.

How different is the drive with the hubs installed?

yellowgizmo99
05/23/2011, 11:39 AM
I can use the part #.

vt_maverick
05/23/2011, 12:03 PM
Pretty pricey... Is this the cheapest source?

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hubs&mmsid=a4ae4179180574efc9ae26c42a1bdfee&x=0&y=0

nfpgasmask
05/23/2011, 04:16 PM
I'd go with the Aisins myself. I got a pair from Pick & Pull for $80. You can usually find some on eBay as well. Warns are good too though.

Bart

vt_maverick
05/23/2011, 04:20 PM
I was reading back through some previous threads on this topic and came across this comment about Aisins from Marlin:

The problem with the Aisins, as we found out at the last Uwharrie meet, is they have a brass or bronze, internal wear part. If your aisin hub has any play in it, you need to get the rebuild kit from indy4x. As that starts wobbling, it allows play in the CV joint, and then, voila, broken CV shaft as it wobbles around under torque. The rebuild kit is like 70 bucks each. I will stick with my cheap superwinches:)

Thoughts?

nfpgasmask
05/23/2011, 04:23 PM
Hmmm, yeah, I know exactly what brass part he is talking about. I also know that my Aisins are working good on my Trooper. I just bought a pair off a Trooper at Pick & Pull, cleaned them up, and installed them.

Personally, I think having a front locker on an IFS suspension is what broke Marlin's CVs, but that's just my opinion. :) As for manual hubs, Aisins are what Isuzus came with, but again, Warn is good as well. I just like the Aisins because they are much simpler in design that the Warns, and they look better.

Bart

vt_maverick
05/23/2011, 04:35 PM
Here's a (potentially dumb) question: My Borbets have a cover that goes over the lug nuts - will these interfere? If so that's probably a show stopper for me...

nfpgasmask
05/23/2011, 04:37 PM
Here's a (potentially dumb) question: My Borbets have a cover that goes over the lug nuts - will these interfere? If so that's probably a show stopper for me...

You mean a center cap that covers the lug nuts AND the hub (center of the wheel)? I would say most likey it would get in the way. If I installed manual hubs on my VX, I would just need to get rid of my center caps.

Bart

vt_maverick
05/23/2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks... :(

tom4bren
05/24/2011, 03:30 AM
I can use the part #.

OK, I'll look it up tonight.

When I pick up my rebuilt shafts, I'll add a pic of the two grooves.

Dang, those cover bolts were tight. Glad they were allen instead of phillips. It felt like someone put them in with locktite.

tom4bren
05/24/2011, 03:34 AM
How different is the drive with the hubs installed?

None at all. I don't have any shafts installed right now though so that's not suprising.

I only put the Warn hubs on so that when I get the driveshaft disconnect installed, I can tow it 4 down.

tom4bren
05/24/2011, 03:36 AM
You mean a center cap that covers the lug nuts AND the hub (center of the wheel)? I would say most likey it would get in the way. If I installed manual hubs on my VX, I would just need to get rid of my center caps.

Bart

Potentially, you could modify the center caps with a cut out to access the disconnect. Not sure you're ready to take a knife to the borbets though.

vt_maverick
05/24/2011, 04:46 AM
Potentially, you could modify the center caps with a cut out to access the disconnect. Not sure you're ready to take a knife to the borbets though.

I wouldn't mind removing the covers (only two allen bolts) when I want to access them. My concern is that I'd have to make cuts just to fit them behind the covers (which is NOT an option :)).

tom4bren
05/25/2011, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't mind removing the covers (only two allen bolts) when I want to access them. My concern is that I'd have to make cuts just to fit them behind the covers (which is NOT an option :)).

We can fit check one of your Borbets on mine if you like.

tom4bren
05/25/2011, 10:14 AM
OK, here are the External Clip rings that I got from Fastenal:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0187.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_01891.JPG

Here are the hubs after installation:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0190.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0191.JPG

tom4bren
05/26/2011, 05:01 AM
BTW, the 3 'extras' that I have are free to anyone who wants them. Just PM me where you want them sent.

Never did figure out why they come in packages of 5. Who would ever need an odd number???

yellowgizmo99
05/26/2011, 05:38 AM
PM sent.

vt_maverick
05/26/2011, 05:48 AM
**** it Billy, why do I have to be in class today? J/k, maybe we can test fit my Borbets once you have them installed.

yellowgizmo99
05/26/2011, 06:09 AM
that's what I was thinking, if I get around to it before you leave.

vt_maverick
05/26/2011, 06:20 AM
I hear you, we're racking up quite a to-do list! Thanks!

tom4bren
05/26/2011, 06:36 AM
**** it Billy, why do I have to be in class today? J/k, maybe we can test fit my Borbets once you have them installed.

I'll get them in the mail to him today.

Ya don't need the clips to test fit the Borbets. You can install a hub without the clip for the test fit - should only take about 5 minutes.

tom4bren
06/01/2011, 05:22 AM

Ash,

I found the clips that Travelin sent with the hubs. Your's if you want them.

Tom

vt_maverick
06/01/2011, 07:02 AM
Sure - what do I owe you?

tom4bren
06/01/2011, 01:35 PM
Nada

... but if that makes you feel guilty, make a site donation in my honor:)

Don't forget to PM me your snail-mail addy!!!

Gizmo42
06/01/2011, 08:48 PM
For whatever reason Warn uses the outer groove that the old auto hubs used. Aisin and Superwinch use the larger inner groove that the drive plates use.

When I had stock rims and put my superwinchs on I used a 3.5" hole saw to cut out the center cap. Looked much better then without it.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Rodeo%20blackout/Img_0361e.jpg

$80 for Aisins? Mine were $30 a pair at the local pull n pay here.

tom4bren
06/02/2011, 02:34 AM
For whatever reason Warn uses the outer groove that the old auto hubs used. Aisin and Superwinch use the larger inner groove that the drive plates use.

Now see, it's like I always say: If you're not real careful, you'll learn something new on this forum every day.

If you are grabbing hubs from a 'pick-a-part' you only need to worry about the clip rings if they are Warn hubs (Aisin and Superwinch re-use your existing clips). If the clips aren't available, don't let that stop you from getting the hubs since the clips are only a buck or two at any hardware store.