PDA

View Full Version : WTB: JDM Fog Lamp Accessory

vt_maverick
05/18/2011, 11:27 AM
Posting this as a standing WTB for JDM fog lamps - if you have a set and you'd entertain selling them, I definitely want to buy them (depending on condition and price of course). Here are pics for reference:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3285/JDM_Accessories_Brochure_2.jpg

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/bx200x/DSCF5752a.JPG http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/oyagi/04.jpg

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/oyagi/oyagi15.jpg http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/oyagi/oyagi39.jpg

You can send me a PM here or email me at hodgesr@saic.com.

Thanks!!!

atilla_the_fun
05/18/2011, 11:32 AM
It may be easier to make them using fiberglass after making a foam mold from the pictures? They seem pretty straight forward

vt_maverick
05/18/2011, 11:41 AM
Got to have one in hand to make the mold right? ;)

vt_maverick
05/27/2011, 06:34 AM
:bump: Btw, I would also consider a trade involving my pristine US-only OEM nose mask...

Gussie2000
05/27/2011, 07:14 AM
Out there has to be something that we can use as a replacement,although isn't a easy task to find it

vt_maverick
05/27/2011, 07:52 AM
I doubt it... but it's okay, I'm patient. Took me a couple years to find JDM mud guards. (Thanks Sue!!!) :thumbup:

atilla_the_fun
05/27/2011, 10:25 AM
Well, we can make one off the images we have. We know what the metal brace looks like, and the covers are plastic (these could be made with a foam mold and fibreglass or by a plastic shop). We could fab one up if we can make the autocad/inventor files

vt_maverick
05/27/2011, 09:16 PM
Sounds good - somebody want to volunteer their skills? I"m sure I can find even more pics for reference.

atilla_the_fun
05/31/2011, 09:38 PM
Autocad Inventor files will follow (this is just my remembering how to use the program) as I need to take more measurements from the images I have and on the VX itself

ISOMETRIC:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/JDMLightbar_Frame.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20975)
TOP:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/JDMLightbar_Frame_top.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20977)
FRONT:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/JDMLightbar_Frame_front.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20976)

I havent gotten to the plastic caps yet

Grif
05/31/2011, 09:39 PM
Haha! Nice.... nice work!

Anyone got a CNC machine?

VX KAT
05/31/2011, 10:42 PM
Haha! Nice.... nice work!

Anyone got a CNC machine?

I'm guessing a CNC machine is that thing that actually creates & fabs up stuff following a computer's instructions (but looks dang near like magic) ...I saw a show last year, Jay Leno has one. He's a real car guy, maybe we should ring him up and see if he's interested in helping on this?
p.s...I'm crazy enough to do it.....

JHarris1385
06/01/2011, 04:20 AM
I have always wanted one of these too.

Cobrajet
06/01/2011, 07:11 AM
I'm guessing a CNC machine is that thing that actually creates & fabs up stuff following a computer's instructions (but looks dang near like magic) ...I saw a show last year, Jay Leno has one. He's a real car guy, maybe we should ring him up and see if he's interested in helping on this?
p.s...I'm crazy enough to do it.....Jay has both a CNC machine (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/cnc-machine/190165/) and a 3D scanner (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/nextengines-3d-scanner/944641/)! He's got lots of old cars that need parts made from scratch. Sure, give Jay a call!!

atilla_the_fun
06/01/2011, 08:51 AM
I thought that most fab shops have a CnC machine?

ron
06/01/2011, 09:27 AM
I thought that most fab shops have a CnC machine?

Only the larger shops with the floorspace and money would have CNC and scanners on site. Others get away with basic machines.

I really don't think you'll need a CNC for this project other than the plastic covers. The mid-section looks like can be fabricated out of extruded aluminum tubing.

The end brackets can be a laser cut profile on .125" thick aluminum flat stock to be bent at 90 deg. where needed and painted black.

The caps would need to be cnc'd prototypes for scale and test fitting purposes. Then to duplicate, you need to create a 2-part silicone mold for each part and inject a quick cast material to produce parts.

Not a difficult project for anyone to take if they have the time, money, and resources to complete. hth. rudy

vt_maverick
06/01/2011, 11:17 AM
I'd stake you Rudy...

blacksambo
06/07/2011, 09:28 PM
Nice to hear your voice again, Ron.

Hide
07/24/2011, 11:03 PM
Anyone attempt to make one from scratch? I am interested in buying one too if someone made one.

Jaxworld 888
11/07/2011, 07:08 PM
I have the original JDM Fog Lamp Bracket, wason min, never used when I bought mine from the moron who loved the VX,importedit from Tokyo and never maintained ANYTHING.
If someone will tell me how to upload photo's on to this site you can see the pix.

I'm more than happy to make them. The OEM's are two pieces of VERY thick fibreglass and a piece of Aluminium tube. Its fitted with 4 Hex bolts, but I have to presume that the US VX has the threads underneath the plastic cladding.
If not its still a pretty simple bolt-on job.

I have 7" lamps fitted on mine, and if I could load the photo's you could see the effect they have on the whole front end look. I kept the plastic cover for the lamps, cut all but the surround away and used commercial PA system metal speaker guards to protect them from stones..........and not melt from the 150watt bulbs!!!
Not cop-happy but when I put everything on full beam with the blue falshers behind the grill boy does the motorway/autobahn/freeway clear like the Red Sea for Moses!!!!

Just SOMEONE tell me how to upload my photo's and you'll see my VERY early JDM VX.....its a '96 but built in 1995.
Even the colour is strange. It looks a normal Silver......but in sunlight, even weak sunlight has a blue metallic look, like a Flip Flop Laquer.

Because it was one of the first 50 JDM productions I think it might have been a paint trial.
I have ALL the original Isuzu Log books and user manuals.....with their very funny cartoon drawings.
I just wish the guy I bought it from who imported it had looked after it well.........I've been replacing bits from day-one.

Just a bye-the-way question............which other Isuzu or Honda vehicles have the same radiator? The bottom quater of mine is clogged with rust dust and we just can't clear it.........andmy mechanic is a genius and friend of 28yrs and driving lastsummer with theheater on to keep the engine cool was NOT funweCOOKED in a 1000 mile drive back from France AFTER replacing the head gaskets, water pump,thermostat and 20 other gaskets because I had to have them sent to rural France where........well they were jus *ucking French!!!
They couldn't even align the two banks of DOHC's..........five French retards just staring into the engine bay like IT was going to tell them how!!!
Took me 5min to show them and they thought it was magic.........the only magic was my other half NOTpickingup the crowbar she had her hand on and doing them coz all of the above took TWO WEEKS!!!!

Anyway......tell me how to uploadpix and you can see a JDM foglamp bar fully restored and fitted, and the odd colours of silver/blue my VX goes into,and if enough VXers are interested I'll take them off and make PERFECT copies. Maybe Carbon Fibre would be easier AND be an improvement. Keep them in Carbon Fibre or spray black, or what ever colour because believe me this simple piece makes one helluva difference!

Best wishes to all us VX nut-nuts..........

Jack and Jewels

VX KAT
11/07/2011, 07:19 PM
Hey Jack- I might be interested!

Here's a summary of how to upload pics:
HOW TO UPLOAD PICS TO YOUR GALLERY

~Click on "Gallery" in the blue header above

~Then click "Gallery Links" from the same blue header

~In that drop down box you should see, second from the bottom..."Upload photos" - Click that.

~Then it will let you select 5 pics (one at a time) from your computer. Click on "Choose File" and find the pic you want. If they're really big megapixels, I've found it bombs out if I do more than 2 at a time. So I'd hit "Upload/submit" after those 2, then just do a few at a time.

~If they're smaller files, you can do all 5 at once.

~Sometimes, after it's done uploading your pics, it will show another screen where you have to click at the bottom of screen..."Process".

HOW TO ATTACH PICS TO A POST & HOW TO EDIT AND ADD PICS TO A POST

~Start a post

~On right side -> it says "My Pics"...click Open

~A new window opens with your pics. At the top of the window there's a a blue header with a drop down box for selecting what size/type attachment...select "Original Image"...it will make the full size pic appear in post.

~You can put up to 20 pics in a single post.

~Separate each pic by a RETURN/ENTER or sometimes they'll end up just displaying left to right, instead of scrolling down....drives some of our members crazy to scroll sideways..

~You can go back to your post and delete your current attached pics....
~and edit it to attach the full size pics:
~hit EDIT
~then "Go advanced"
~then "My Pics"
~Make sure it's "original Image"
~select your pics by clicking on them.

I'm picking up my custom aluminum radiator tomorrow, has more cooling capacity and a metal tank so no rust or cracked plastic. Maybe you want to consider one of these. They have all the specs done now so they can make them. Just not sure if the JDM is exactly the same in all dimensions etc on the radiator and brackets???

Mile High VX
11/07/2011, 07:22 PM
Interested x2...:)

Grif
11/07/2011, 07:28 PM
X3

atilla_the_fun
11/07/2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Jack,
Thanks for coming forward with this info. Do you think you can take precise measurements? Do you have any experience with engineering drawings? VT_Maverick (who will freak when he reads this) and I had wanted to build them from scratch on this side of the pond, but have been thus far unable to get lengths, widths, and other measurements

Grif
11/07/2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Jack,
Thanks for coming forward with this info. Do you think you can take precise measurements? Do you have any experience with engineering drawings? VT_Maverick (who will freak when he reads this) and I had wanted to build them from scratch on this side of the pond, but have been thus far unable to get lengths, widths, and other measurements

Measurements are all we need. And sadly, VT_Mav needs a VX first before he can attach an accessory. Gawd that still kills me, his Foxfire was nice.

vt_maverick
11/07/2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Jack,

Measurements are all we need. And sadly, VT_Mav needs a VX first before he can attach an accessory. Gawd that still kills me, his Foxfire was nice.

Won't be long now... put me down too (though I really should bump all you tag-alongs trying to cut in line ;)).

Hybrid1098
11/07/2011, 09:43 PM
+1 No rush for me, I can be behind everyone. As long as I am in front of everyone who posts after lol.

Jaxworld 888
11/08/2011, 02:21 AM
Jeez!!! I wish my bank responded so fast!!!

SO, first of all thanks to Sue (Kat) for telling me how to upload photo's. She told me before I think but thanks to the military and motorbikes I've had 5 fractured skulls and my memory is a Swiss Cheese!!!

NOW.....the JDM Fog Light Bracket. I have the original Japanese fitting paper and without getting out of bed where I am now, I am POSITIVE it has ALL the dimensions on it.

Also my Grandfather was Commander Engineering Royal Navy, and although I didn't realise it he was giving me an apprentaship from about 6yrs old.
So I can take mine off and give you micro-measurements.

Its actually a VERY simple piece of kit, but made with VERY thick and industrial Fiberglass. That's why I'm thinking of making copies in Carbon Fibre.

As it seems there is a small group of you that are bang-up for doing this I'd prefer to send all details to just one of you.

If I can get hold of enough dental mould stuff I'll make inner and outer moulds of the two end pieces.

The only thing I don't know is IF your US model has the mounting threads underneath the cladding.

I'll make a video of taking mine off if you are really serious about making some GOOD copies. The unit is very simple as I said before. The mounting however is NOT. But to any decent engineer there is plenty of room and space to make some alterations that would not show at all.

So my fellow VX Junkies, keep in touch and I'llcertainly send out the paper ASAP. THe dismount and video may take a bit longer as winter is starting here and I live in central north London.........the last garage that got sold here was 9yrs ago went for £86K, and you could just about get a VW Golf in it!!! I'mconsidered blessed just because I have off-street parking in a numbered space!
Everything from vintage Jags, Aston Martins, Lambo's, Ferrari's get parked on the street where I live!
Luckily my mechanic who's a lot wealthier than I am is a friend for 28yrs so I can do a dissasemble in his place.

So its a 'Watch This Space' I guess.........from the VERY fast responce I get the feeling that there's a lot of US VXers that would like this part, or a VERY good copy. And I don't want to help someone make a garbage copy!
Seriously. If you're not going to do it well I don't want to be associated with it.

I WILL be picking your brains for other info in the future! For a start has anyone fitted a Turbo AND Supercharger to a VX?

Best wishes to all of you, and a specialthanks to Kats for prodding me!

Jack (& Jewels, the Platinum Hood Decoration!!!)

blacksambo
11/08/2011, 07:32 PM
Count me in as well. I love that fog light set up, and never thought such amazing cooperation would be possible. We're behind you all the way Jax!

pnwdawg
11/09/2011, 09:28 AM
I'm also interested in this..... another mod to add to my on going list =)

tom4bren
11/09/2011, 09:44 AM
Are Y'all interested in seeing if Welder Guy can fab up something? If he does, it'll probably not have the plastic end pieces. Most of you have seen his work so it'll look nice ... but it won't look like the JDM pieces you're after.

Breezy
11/09/2011, 10:27 AM
Who is Welder Guy?

VX KAT
11/09/2011, 10:40 AM
Who is Welder Guy?

:laugho:...ya gotta get familiar with "Tom speak".....
He calls his son "Boy"...:laugho: and this guy is just "Welder Guy"....
It's a local guy Tom knows that does welding. He's replicated the "tone" style hitch. I bought my hitch from him. He's also made diff drop brackets.

tom4bren
11/09/2011, 11:16 AM
Welder Guy

Peanut

Cpt Morgan

He answers to just about anything.

He started a small welding shop so he's ideal for small and 'one off' projects. Basically, he doesn't charge me anything for start up costs, just the price of the items.

VXorado
11/10/2011, 10:06 AM
I've always loved the JDM fog light look & having some extra round lights is nice on those dark nights. I used a piece of fiberglass unistrut on the inside of the cladding as a mount for the hella 500s on my bumper. I might be a buyer for a JDM piece if they'll be available. The attachment would fit nicely between my existing fog lights & then I would have four hellas in the front :grinb: