PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Stopped Working...??!

TheUltimateMan
05/12/2011, 09:20 AM
So I was cursing to myself last night while pumping gas... I felt as if I was losing a race while depositing $50 of the good stuff into my Ironman, knowing that my hard earned money would only give me, at best, half a tank to run on.

After having my moment, I sat satified in the driver's seat. Knowing that I love my thirsty VehiCross, she loves me, we're happy to be the hottest thing cruising on the road, and there was nothing we could do about the rising price of oil at that moment from that dim gas station lot.

Then I turned her on.

Everything seems normal, but then what is the amber glow staring at me in the corner of my eye? The 'Check Engine' light had come on.

"Okay," I thought, "Well, everything seems to be running okay. I don't hear any odd sounds, and the drive feels fine. This is no big deal, I'll just have it checked out this weekend..." And continued on my drive.

As I got on the interstate I notice for the first time that my Speedometer wasn't moving. I was going at least 50mph, and the Speedometer stayed at "0."

Again, I thought, "Well, that's certainly odd- I've never seen or heard of that happening before. The rpm and every other gage on the dash seems to be functioning properly, I'll just have to be careful driving home." Luckily, I have a built in Speedometer on my DVD/Nav system which is actually more accurate.

As I pulled into my driveway 30 minutes later I noticed something else. My mileage hadn't budged since I left the gas station 20 miles away.

When I drove this morning, the same thing was happening. Speedometer didn't move, and neither did my Odometer. And my Check Engine light is still on.

I've checked the forums, and I found posts about a fluctuating Speedometer, but not one that doesn't move.

Any ideas as to what's going on in my VX...?

I'm not very mechanically savve, so ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you~!!

:bwgy: :yeso: :bwgy:

atilla_the_fun
05/12/2011, 09:41 AM
have you checked your fuses? take a look at the car's manual and look for any type of speedometer or dash fuses.

edit - although, the odometer should be mechanical..... there must be a loose connection from the transmission or speed sensor?

etlsport
05/12/2011, 10:05 AM
sounds like a speed sensor problem

Triathlete
05/12/2011, 02:32 PM
sounds like a speed sensor problem

X2
That or the wiring. No sigmal to the computer would trigger your check engine light.

TheUltimateMan
05/13/2011, 12:42 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone!

I took my VX to the shop this morning, and just got a call from the mechanic... it is the Speed Sensor that went bad.

I asked him if it would be a problem to drive until I could get the part in, and he said it should be fine- I just won't have a Speedometer until it's fixed. (again, I have an electronic one in my DVD/Nav system that should be fine for now)

So now my question is this: is there a difference in Speed Sensors?

I looked on eBay, and the price varies from $30-$300! This one being the cheapest:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Isuzu-Amigo-Rodeo-Trooper-Vehicle-Speed-Sensor-VS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aVehiCROSSQQhashZit em4cf262fa8dQQitemZ330484087437QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5 fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The part is apparently brand new, from a power seller who sells a lot of these for different vehicles, and with shipping from Wisconson to Chicago, I could have my VehiCross fixed next week!

So, does that part look okay? And (I could be wrong but...) it looks like an easy fix to just replace the sensor myself, now that I know that's what's wrong. Can/should a car noob like me fix it myself with the right parts, and how would I do it...?

Thank you again to everyone for your advice and help~!!

:bgwb: :yeso: :bgwb:

TheUltimateMan
05/24/2011, 06:54 AM
So I got the new Speed Sensor in the mail yesterday... still wondering if this is a fix I can do myself...

Can anyone help by telling me where the Speed Sensor is located on the VehiCross?

A little help here? Please...?

Thanks~!!

:bgwo: :yesb: :bgwo:

RickOKC
05/24/2011, 07:11 AM
The speed sensor is on the passenger side. Follow the rear propeller shaft to the transfer case. The PDF attachment in this post (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=61690&postcount=7) has a few photos.

mhill
05/24/2011, 07:53 AM
RickOKC is right on, I have mine out right now. OEM one from Merlin $207.26 :freek:

RickOKC
05/24/2011, 08:30 AM
RickOKC is right on, I have mine out right now. OEM one from Merlin $207.26 :freek:
Yup, I was under my VX just last night checking everything out. I was trying to decide where I will wire & mount a speedometer recalibrator I bought.