PDA

View Full Version : Custom created Proton

RICHARD PAYNE
05/11/2011, 07:56 PM
We at Detail Driven Autos are probably going to create a Proton by taking an old Astral and completly repainting it. Yes we have it completely stripped down to a shell and we will be doing all door jambs and under the hood. We are also thinking of redoing the standard seats with Yellow and black.
What do you guys think?:)

Mile High VX
05/11/2011, 08:02 PM
If you're going to go to the trouble, why don't you go with something that you can't already buy...you don't see any blue VX's, or red, or a gillion other colors. I'd love to see you guys do something really unique since you do such great work there (been there...seen it)

As for the yellow/black interior for the Proton you'll want to match the yellow interior with the exterior or it will not look great IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...and it's usually worth at least a penny...:bgwb::smilewink:bgwo::bwgy:

CoastieCosta567
05/11/2011, 08:11 PM
If you're going to go to the trouble, why don't you go with something that you can't already buy...you don't see any blue VX's, or red, or a gillion other colors. I'd love to see you guys do something really unique since you do such great work there (been there...seen it)

As for the yellow/black interior for the Proton you'll want to match the yellow interior with the exterior or it will not look great IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...and it's usually worth at least a penny...:bgwb::smilewink:bgwo::bwgy:

x2:yeso:

etlsport
05/11/2011, 08:13 PM
agree with mile high, i think it would be better to go with something a little different. I love the royal blue JDM VXs, i bet a kelly green VX would look awesome or a ferarri red. even a light blue would look pretty sweet with nice dark cladding.

Grif
05/11/2011, 08:21 PM
Ditto the sentiments of others. A fake proton is not a good idea IMHO unless of course you have a buyer who just *HAS* to have a yellow colored VX and you cant find one.

Bob Barker
05/11/2011, 08:27 PM
I've always loved the color "sunset orange metallic" from GM. That color is sex in my eyes! I could imagine it matching well with a grey/black interior, or maybe with a color matched to the paint... juuuust maybe.

Hiredgoon
05/11/2011, 08:28 PM
Agreed. I've always wanted to see one in an olive drab. I think it'd look badass with some aggressive tires on bare bones steel rims. I'm too afraid to do that to one of the rare colours, unless I wreck mine.

Exclamation
05/11/2011, 09:28 PM
Two thumbs up on the Ferrari Red suggestion! I think a red VX would look amazing personally and im not even a fan of red!

VXjunky
05/11/2011, 09:34 PM
thinking of redoing the standard seats with Yellow and black.
What do you guys think?...........
to quote Moon Unit Zappa.."Gag me with a spoon, fur sure"

Grif
05/11/2011, 09:47 PM
Actually, the yellow/black seat idea for a Proton was the only concept from the original post that I liked. That would definitely work in a Proton.

wekilled
05/11/2011, 10:04 PM
How bout a metallic "gun blue" color? Concur with the group, why go to all the trouble of a color that is already out there.

MeowMix
05/11/2011, 10:22 PM
Y'all wanted to see something different, so I photoshopped some fun VX colors! All flat paints though, since I used a photo of my Proton as the base. ;Dy;

Click me to see! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60531073@N08/sets/72157626702071008/with/5711851717/)

Anybody care to give me your consent and contribute a foxfire photo so I can photoshop some metallics?

I made one special for you Sue, betcha can't figure out which one, lol! :laughy:

Grif
05/11/2011, 10:31 PM
Nice photochoppery MM!

Surprised most of those colors actually work pretty well IMHO.

Triathlete
05/11/2011, 10:40 PM
Nice photochoppery MM!

Most of those colors were available on the JDM's. There is a poster on here somewhere that shows all 25 colors that were available on the JDM's. I searched but couldn't come up with it...help me out master of the search (LDub).

Hiredgoon
05/11/2011, 10:56 PM
The other thing I've been thinking would be lovely in a VX would be--since our leather is somewhat problematic and tends to be in rough shape on the driver's seat at least--something like what Dodge has done with the Longhorn edition of the Ram. Tooled saddle-style leather--a heavy grained leather with some detail worked into it. I've seen some amazing examples on choppers, and the VX's curves would really inspire some flowing/curving artwork.

Yellow and Black, maybe not, but two tone dark and honey brown. That'd be sharp. Of course that would beg for some recolouring of the interior bodywork, but if it's going all custom, why not?

MeowMix
05/11/2011, 11:13 PM
Nice photochoppery MM!

Thanks...at least my graphic design degree has some sort of use ;py;

...I take requests, if there's any color anyone would like to see.

Most of those colors were available on the JDM's. There is a poster on here somewhere that shows all 25 colors that were available on the JDM's. I searched but couldn't come up with it...help me out master of the search (LDub).

Didn't know the JDM's came in so many colors. I would like to see this poster as well!

Richard should definitely do something fun and different. ;Dy;

Bob Barker
05/12/2011, 12:10 AM

Any chance you could find a sunset orange metallic by GM, applied to corvettes, firebirds, camaro's...

And how about dark shadow gray by Ford, applied to trucks and mustangs

and how about a satin black, maybe another that covers the cladding as well!

and something that looks like Rhino liner!

Etfren
05/12/2011, 12:46 AM
I agree with everyone else, if you are going to repaint it, do it something custom rather than a stock color. If you really want a Proton, I think it would be better to track down an original than repaint an old Astral. An original would be worth more than one thats been repainted, especially a '99 repainted into a '00-'01 color.

Bob Barker, this sounds like what you are looking for. Seems there are quite a few orange VX's out there already.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0321112347a.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20386)

I really like the blue that Moew Mix photoshopped, as well as the JDM red they came in, so those are my votes.

Bob Barker
05/12/2011, 01:19 AM
I saw that truck the other day, but I'm not positive if it's the right orange, and I think it's closer to a copper, either way it looks pretty damn good to me.

tom4bren
05/12/2011, 03:46 AM
We are also thinking of redoing the standard seats with Yellow and black.
What do you guys think?:)

I think you should do it ... & then trade seats with me:)

Actually, the seats idea has been done. I'll try to find the pic but I do remember that I included it in the Moncha picture frame (check the Download section).

johnnyapollo
05/12/2011, 04:30 AM
At one of the last Atlanta Auto Exhibitions where Isuzu still had a booth, the exhibited two Axiom concepts - one was a convertible in yellow and the other was a sport model in red - both used a special reflective paint - the rep said that it contained crushed glass. The effect was similar to a metallic, only the colors were bright instead of having that silver sheen. I think if you're doing a custom job it should be a custom color (agreeing with those who have already posted) like red and if you can pull off an effect like those Axioms it would be particularly special. Just my 2 cents.

-- John

vt_maverick
05/12/2011, 05:56 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3283/JDM_Premium_Color_25_Brochure_Page_1.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3283/JDM_Premium_Color_25_Brochure_Page_2.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3283/JDM_Premium_Color_25_Brochure_Page_3.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3283/JDM_Premium_Color_25_Brochure_Page_4.jpg

vt_maverick
05/12/2011, 06:11 AM
My fav...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3269/Blue_JDM_VX.JPG

JAMAS
05/12/2011, 08:16 AM

Try out an army/forest green.

tom4bren
05/12/2011, 08:57 AM
My fav...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3269/Blue_JDM_VX.JPG

X2

Remember Sprey's pic?

VXdoc
05/12/2011, 09:07 AM
I like the red Idea, Just seem as if everyone wants to hold onto their Proton's. Ha ha get it. Anyhow Well have to see

etlsport
05/12/2011, 10:09 AM
after seeing meowmix's shops... i vote the kelly green for sure!

Riff Raff
05/12/2011, 10:24 AM
I totally agree with the others that the color should be something that was not available on any of the USA models. My #1 color pick would be the 2006 MINI COOPER color of "PURPLE HAZE". It is a dark purple metallic with pearl that is absolutely gorgeous in bright sunshine.

I'm confident once you see this color in person on a MINI Cooper, it will be the color you choose. As a darker mica color, the "PURPLE HAZE" color would fit along the same production VX lines as a Dragon Mica or FoxFire Mica and would look totally OEM factory as an optional color by Isuzu.

Don't go with a loud color that is too obnoxious like a Kawasaki Green or Lamborghini Orange, as it just wouldn't look OEM factory and would likely limit marketability in trying to sell the VX to a wider market. The "PURPLE HAZE" color is refined and elegant with class, while being totally different from everyday common colors.

:bgwb:

BTW-- My #2 color choice would be the Cadillac "CHAMPAGNE" metallic (aka Gold Mist Metallic) color found on the new Escalade. The Cadillac Escalade "CHAMPAGNE" (aka Gold Mist Metallic) color is also a pearl and would look extremely elegant, but would really be a striking contrast against the dark cladding of the VX. Pick this paint color if you want the cladding to really "pop" as a contrasting color.

eblank
05/12/2011, 11:56 AM
I saw that truck the other day, but I'm not positive if it's the right orange, and I think it's closer to a copper, either way it looks pretty damn good to me.

Thanks! ^^

Though I can't take credit for it, it was painted when I bought it. It does match the seats perfectly IMHO, that picture has bad light though. I've got a couple others in my gallery. Not sure what the paint is, but I've noticed ford escapes with the same/very similar color, might even be a little brighter. I really like the green at the bottom of the brochure posted above, plus if you match the seats I think green seats would be really cool.

JoFotoz
05/12/2011, 12:50 PM
FLAT BLACK

:LineWave:

jo

rsteinmetz70112
05/12/2011, 01:51 PM
One color looked an awful lot like the Foose one.

I understand that in Japan cars are generally ordered and then built, so I guess they wouldn't have the problem with special colors. At least one made it to the US with a special order color.

RICHARD PAYNE
05/12/2011, 01:55 PM
THANKS GUYS. for all your suggestions. I have been looking for a Proton one so long I just kind of got focused in on it. One of the guys has already bought the paint, so proton it is. You have to keep in mind cost; that bronze color is a tricolor application. Cost of paint Proton $300 bronze $1600. Whice would you do? I like the red idea and the next one we get to paint red it is! I am going to have to drive it around for a while to make sure the paint doesn't fall off or something. Someone has to do it.

FlyingV77
05/12/2011, 02:45 PM
flat or satin black, or a black pearl

MeowMix
05/12/2011, 03:53 PM
Any chance you could find a sunset orange metallic by GM, applied to corvettes, firebirds, camaro's...

And how about dark shadow gray by Ford, applied to trucks and mustangs

and how about a satin black, maybe another that covers the cladding as well!

and something that looks like Rhino liner!

Metallic is difficult to produce from a flat paint like proton...if I could get a donor photo of a foxfire in high daylight, I could shop a Sunset/Brazen orange, as well as any other metallic much easier and faster...though I don't use random people's photos without permission. Copyrights y'know, lol. ;Dy;

I'll work on some of these concepts tomorrow evening, after my two miserable back-to-back finals first thing tomorrow morning...sucks, but at least spring term will finally be over. Pray for me! Gonna need all the help I can get!!! :deady:

Try out an army/forest green.

...do you have an example photo you can show me, or a manufacturer paint name/code in mind? Trying to figure how a "forest green" is different from dragon green. :_thinking

Thanks! ^^

Though I can't take credit for it, it was painted when I bought it. It does match the seats perfectly IMHO, that picture has bad light though. I've got a couple others in my gallery. Not sure what the paint is, but I've noticed ford escapes with the same/very similar color, might even be a little brighter. I really like the green at the bottom of the brochure posted above, plus if you match the seats I think green seats would be really cool.

Love this color too! Orange rocks!!! :thumbup:

eblank
05/12/2011, 04:19 PM
I'll work on some of these concepts tomorrow evening, after my two miserable back-to-back finals first thing tomorrow morning...sucks, but at least spring term will finally be over. Pray for me! Gonna need all the help I can get!!!

Good luck! Just finished my 5 finals (last 3 in 24 hrs... was supposed to be 4 but I moved one) Junior Year Mechanical Engineering has sucked the life out of me. the past 2 weeks I slept a total of 13 hrs from sunday to thursday each week... Now its time for senior walk :) It will all be over soon!

Gussie2000
05/12/2011, 04:26 PM
Good luck! Just finished my 5 finals (last 3 in 24 hrs... was supposed to be 4 but I moved one) Junior Year Mechanical Engineering has sucked the life out of me. the past 2 weeks I slept a total of 13 hrs from sunday to thursday each week... Now its time for senior walk :) It will all be over soon!

Believe it or not that was the color i was gonna paint my astral with.

I think the color is original from nissan/infinity,to be exact from the FX 35.

The color is called autum cooper i just love it

MeowMix
05/12/2011, 05:39 PM

Good work my friend...way too much math in engineering, lol. I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who would take on that major! 3 finals in 24hrs is rough...I feel ya though. It's all worth it in the end!

I know what would rejuvenate your tired self...a vacation to Moab, lol! :laughy:

vt_maverick
05/12/2011, 07:55 PM
if I could get a donor photo of a foxfire in high daylight, I could shop a Sunset/Brazen orange, as well as any other metallic much easier and faster...though I don't use random people's photos without permission. Copyrights y'know, lol. ;Dy;

Pretty sure that uploading pics into galleries here automatically makes them public domain. Regardless, I think Sue and I have some 500 or more photos between our two galleries so surely there's one in there that will work?

Good luck with finals!

Riff Raff
05/12/2011, 08:02 PM
THANKS GUYS. for all your suggestions. I have been looking for a Proton one so long I just kind of got focused in on it. One of the guys has already bought the paint, so proton it is. You have to keep in mind cost; that bronze color is a tricolor application. Cost of paint Proton $300 bronze $1600. Whice would you do? I like the red idea and the next one we get to paint red it is! I am going to have to drive it around for a while to make sure the paint doesn't fall off or something. Someone has to do it.

Damn, it's too bad your guy already bought the Proton paint before you had a chance to see this thread of opinions. In addition, making another Red version in the future would be a futile effort since FoxFire already exists. You need to venture out and try a paint color outside of the norm of current available VX colors; otherwise, you're just being redundant.

It's too bad the Cadillac Escapade "CHAMPAGNE" (aka Gold Mist Metallic) paint is so expensive at $1600 because it's a tri-color application. I bet it would look simply stunning on a VX with pure elegance and prestige. I'm curious on how much 2006 MINI Cooper "PURPLE HAZE" paint cost, and if it's within the ballpark of the $300 price mark??? If so, you ought to try the "PURPLE HAZE" treatment next on a future VX.

Bob Barker
05/12/2011, 08:13 PM
How is purple haze any different from fox fire and red is not?

Riff Raff
05/12/2011, 08:17 PM
How is purple haze any different from fox fire and red is not?

Too easy, my friend. FoxFire "IS" red (although; technically a dark red, but still red in hue). 2006 MINI Cooper "PURPLE HAZE" is dark purple metallic. Last time I checked-- purple ain't red; it's purple.

Bob Barker
05/12/2011, 08:21 PM
Looking at photos to me the fox fire is closer to purple than red. Maybe it's bad eyes?

rsteinmetz70112
05/12/2011, 08:24 PM
12 % of men are color blind. I'm not one of them, inspite of what my wife says.

Riff Raff
05/12/2011, 08:25 PM
Maybe it's bad eyes?

Must be. Go see a FoxFire VX "in person" and then report back with your evaluation.

rsteinmetz70112
05/12/2011, 08:35 PM
Pretty sure that uploading pics into galleries here automatically makes them public domain. Regardless, I think Sue and I have some 500 or more photos between our two galleries so surely there's one in there that will work?

Good luck with finals!

I think you're wrong but I'm not a lawyer, please check with one.

SilverBullet75
05/12/2011, 09:07 PM
It's too bad the Cadillac Escapade "CHAMPAGNE" (aka Gold Mist Metallic) paint is so expensive... I bet it would look simply stunning on a VX with pure elegance and prestige.

RR, I fully agree. While reading this thread that color was going through my mind to suggest. I painted my old 914GT in a similar champagne gold (Acura's - 1993ish). LOVE that color. I know my next statement will get mixed reviews, but I think the whole VX would look good in champagne (cladding and all).

Then do cream and black leather with stainless steel trimmed dash!
Oh, wait... I just described a Mercury Mariner. LOL!

tom4bren
05/13/2011, 03:37 AM
Looking at photos to me the fox fire is closer to purple than red. Maybe it's bad eyes?

Must be your eyes. :)

Foxfire is Maroon. Not Red. Not Purple. It's Maroon.

etlsport
05/13/2011, 04:23 AM
Check out the vx-04 it was painted a champagne color... Kind boring imho

Luna X
05/13/2011, 09:02 AM
and here I am.... I have a Proton, but plan to change color whenever my health allows

It's always fun to go against the tide....;)

samneil2000
05/13/2011, 09:08 AM

Isn't that why we all own/love VX's? :bgwb:

vt_maverick
05/13/2011, 09:13 AM
Must be your eyes. :)

Foxfire is Maroon. Not Red. Not Purple. It's Maroon.

+1 - It's very much a blend of red and purple, and changes shades in different lighting.

PittVXr
05/13/2011, 01:47 PM
Cost of paint Proton $300 bronze $1600. Which would you do?

Bronze. No Doubt.

RICHARD PAYNE
05/13/2011, 06:08 PM
Super color ideas guys. I wish I had some more VXs that needed paint and some more money. I think metalic red like whatever that Cadillac color is would be fantastic. Some of the nicer colors are 3 stage colors and that makes a repaint with no body work a minimum of $2000. I will do something different next time. Who wants to sell me a VX cheap that I can fix up?

technocoy
05/14/2011, 07:01 AM
and here I am.... I have a Proton, but plan to change color whenever my health allows

WHOA, there now Nelly. You best put some deadbolts on them doors and get a night sentry. Somebody might be coming ta kill you for sayin' such nonsense about a proton!
:p