PDA

View Full Version : Sweet phone apps

Marlin
05/09/2011, 03:20 PM
Anyone know of some sweet phone apps?

I bought torque and a wireless OBDII connection. Pretty neat. The tiny flashlight app is awesome as well, if your phone has an LED flash. Those flash LEDs are BRIGHT!!

I would also say be wary of what permissions they ask. TOday's free amazon is neat alarm clock. It asked permission for access to my phone log, international phone log, full internet access and sd card and phone memory access. Why does an alarm clock need all that? I gave it a 1 star rating because of that, some other user flamed me and said it was for debugging purposes and to know if I am on the phone. Nice try, a great phishing app.

LittleBeast
05/10/2011, 12:59 AM
iMovie has been the most impressive APP I have ever seen!!!!! Very useful and super easy to use. Too many amazing features to list.

Also:
WhatsApp - free text/pic/video to any number even international (uses internet)
PS Express - easy photo editing
DoDonPachiR - amazing top down shooter
Espgaluda2 - another amazing top down shooter
Phoenix - addictive top down shooter
Infinity Blade - best handheld game
Pinball HD - best handheld pinball game
Skype - free facetime on your phone with no need for WiFi :-)

MeowMix
05/10/2011, 01:32 AM
There are a ton of apps that require odd permissions such as reading state identity of your phone calls, access to your calendars, etc. Seemingly needless permissions, but I gave up a while ago and have become indifferent to bizarre permissions. Let them track me via GPS and keep logs on my phone calls. I have nothing to hide, nor am I an interesting person to follow.

That said, one of my favorite apps is Pandora radio. I listen to it constantly in my VX...even made a widget for it. There is also a police/EMS scanner app that is pretty cool if you're a fan of knowing where fires are and who is getting arrested where, lol. ;Dy; If you feel like getting hooked on the most stupid game on the face of the earth, download Restaurant Story...or any of the Storm8 games for that matter. Angry birds is another favorite game of many, but I myself didn't much like that one. You should get QuickOffice if you plan on doing any work -- you can load word docs, powerpoint presentations, etc right onto your phone. I'd suggest more, but my Droid is filled with anatomy&physiology games, nursing apps, pharmacology apps, etc...things to help me with school. Probably not apps you care about, lol.

...and if you have an Android based phone (as opposed to an iPhone or blackberry), it's totally worth it to upgrade the user interface to LauncherPro. It operates way faster and smoother than the user interface that comes with Android OS. :yesy:

tom4bren
05/10/2011, 03:52 AM
I added a flashlight app to Wifey's iphone but it uses the display LED, not the flash. The display just looks like 2 lightbulbs.

I also added a pest repeller app that's supposed to emit an ultrasonic noise from the phone to repel skeeters.

There's also a ghost radar app that's pretty cool. It didn't come with any instructions so it's confusing what all the crap is that shows up on the display.

JAMAS
05/10/2011, 11:39 AM
TOday's free amazon is neat alarm clock.

Based on this nugget of evidence, I would say you have an Android device and not an iPhone.

First, let me congratulate you on purchasing a device from the winning team :)

Second....here is a few quality apps that I have installed

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.geekherd.bedsidepro2

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.glympse.android.glympse

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mufumbo.craigslist.notification.and roid

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.droidiris

https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.zomtec.android.delivery

LittleBeast
05/10/2011, 12:09 PM
First, let me congratulate you on purchasing a device from the winning team :)

If you don't have an iPhone..... you just don't have an iPhone. ;-)

Haha, seriously though, I have played around with many Androids, and they are getting A LOT better, but still I have yet to see a package as attractive, compact and loaded with features as the iPhone, and I am not an Apple fan really, but I know a quality product when I see one. But I hope the Androids keep getting better, it will only push the iPhone to keep on the leading edge.

JAMAS
05/10/2011, 12:53 PM
and I am not an Apple fan really

Do you own a satchel/European carry-all?

pbkid
05/10/2011, 06:32 PM
and I am not an Apple fan really,

X2!!!
DRM sucks....

Triathlete
05/10/2011, 06:50 PM
x2 on Pandora
Some time wasters I have on mine include
aTilt 3D Labyrinth
Fishin'2 Go lite
Real Blackjack
Guitar Solo lite
Strip Poker-Fan Edition
Solitaire

Grif
05/10/2011, 07:17 PM
Torque is the most amazing app ever if yer into vehicles. Been espousing that app for a while now. Even amazed one of my mechanics with it.

I too use Pandora for tunes, as well as Grooveshark. Soundhound finding names of new songs I hear on the radio or tv. There are too many good apps for music, but those are some of my faves.

Google Latitude and its kin "Maps" and the whole "Car Home" suite is umm.. sweet. lol

I rooted my Droid and tinker with it quite a bit, so of course ROM Manager, Clockwork recovery, Kernel Manager, Root Explorer and Titanium backup are high on my list. As is Samba networking for easy file transfer/sync over wifi. Wifi Explorer is also amazing for that.

HBO Go is a killer app if you have a subscription to HBO. Nothing like watching movies and my fave HBO series while waiting for <insert annoying wait time thing here>.

WiFi Analyzer is good for wardriving, signal analysis.

The Torch app is fantastic if you have a dual LED flash like the Droid Incredible does. It is retina burning bright, I use it daily.

I use Quadrant and Linpack for benchmarking performance across ROMS, kernels, Android builds and devices.

Google Sky Map is awesome for astronomy, but if you have a couple bucks "Star Chart" is better.

Game wise I have Defensoid and Tower Raiders, of course Angry Birds, Can Knockdown, and Fruit Ninja are must haves. Air Attack HD is a fine arcade style game with amazing gfx. There are really too many to mention in this category.

For shopping, Barcode Scanner of course is a must. I also use Home Depot's app and Autozone's app. An app simply called "Coupons" gets me deals on local stuff as well as the latest low gas prices. If I used customer loyalty cards I'd use "Key Ring" to store all them so my discounts could be scanned right from my device. But I don't use loyalty cards. Its a great idea anyways.

Most other things I use regularly are more esoteric networking tools that can be invaluable on my job.

The Droid never ceases to amaze, amuse, inform and entertain.

MeowMix
05/10/2011, 08:41 PM
X2!!!
DRM sucks....

Heck yes...I'll take the OS that you don't need to be a "registered Apple developer" to make apps for. :happyface

The Droid never ceases to amaze, amuse, inform and entertain.

x2! :thumbup:

...and let's not forget: Shazam is also a must have app! ;Dy;

JHarris1385
05/10/2011, 09:00 PM
No one has said Word with Friends?

Is Torch brighter than the HTC installed flashlight?

I have an Incredible.

For weather what do you use - The Weather Channel or Weather Bug or ?

Driod needs a Netflix app like the Iphone

And I use Pandora daily - I went pro ($35 a year?)

Bob Barker
05/10/2011, 11:38 PM
+1 on the strip poker app!

:laugho:

JAMAS
05/11/2011, 02:50 AM
Is Torch brighter than the HTC installed flashlight?

I have an Incredible.

For weather what do you use - The Weather Channel or Weather Bug or ?

I have the droid incredible also, and it has a native double led flashlight. Came with version 2.2 (Froyo). It should be just as bright as the torch app. there are 3 settings ...low medium and melt your face.

I use weatherbug elite and weather channel. I prefer weatherbug for its interface, but I like info from multiple sources sometimes. (this is important when making the decision of motorcycle, convertible, or VX each morning)

I believe netflix is coming to Android, along with Hulu.

JAMAS
05/12/2011, 12:58 PM

Guess what just got announced TODAY.....

http://gizmodo.com/5801342/netflix-is-finally-available-on-android

Marlin
05/12/2011, 02:03 PM
The Flashlight app using the flash is retina searing! It also does police mode, variable brightness sreen light.
I have since added key ring, very nice app.
I downloaded the rock crawler lite, and went ahead and bought the beta pro version. Very fun.
I play the fishing game as well.

To root or not to root. Only reason I can think to root is to delete all the factory junk, and so I can mobile hotspot for free. The verizon guy said as long as I don't go over 5 gig, they will never notice. I think it would be difficult to go over 5 gig checking email and whatnot on a puter.

So should I do the Z4root with bootstrap?

Grif
05/12/2011, 05:06 PM
Guess what just got announced TODAY.....

http://gizmodo.com/5801342/netflix-is-finally-available-on-android

WOO HOO!!! :)

Grif
05/12/2011, 08:29 PM
So should I do the Z4root with bootstrap?

Depends, there are lots of reasons to root. Depends on your device.

I didn't see you post what device you are running so its hard to say.

If your device maker and carrier has loaded up a lot of non-removable bloatware, then thats one good reason. If there are tons of custom mods and ROMS (customized versions of android) you want to play with then thats another good reason to root. If you want to tether your computers for internet without any additional charges, thats another good reason. If you want to do full backups and restores of all your apps, settings and ROM, thats another good reason. If you want to overclock your device for better performance, thats another good reason.

I usually recommend that people use their device as stock for 6mo or so, just to become accustomed to it, research what is available for the device and have a baseline for its performance. Then consider rooting and modding.

Keep in mind, rooting WILL void your warrantee. However, most robust rooting solutions have a method to roll back to stock if ever you need to return the device for warrantee service.

Also, yes it is possible to "brick" your device while modding/rooting/flashing new roms or kernels. But even in that case there are recovery options, and if the device is truly bricked, even the carrier wont be able to tell it was rooted, since at that point it just simply wont respond to anything even the carriers can throw at it.

I've been flashing firmware to various devices for over 10 years now. Smartphones, routers, optical drives, flash drives, satellite recievers, modded computer BIOS systems, stereo systems, even TV's! Making devices of all sorts do things they were not originally intended to do and have only truly "bricked" one device. It was then RMA'd for a full replacement, no problem.

Just do your research and read, read, read!

But truly, most of the time for a popular smartphone, its not so scary.

What android device are you using and what cell carrier? I'd be happy to point anyone in the right direction.

*EDIT* Full disclosure. I unbricked an iPhone for a client today that the Apple Store "Geniuses" across the street couldn't budge, hence my longwinded post. I usually don't work on apple crap since their premium prices and smugness annoy the hell out of me. Apple and their customers can go have thier smugfest in thier spendy little hipster enclave. But this old hacker just bested them on thier own hardware, and that was the first time I'd ever even held an iPhone 4G. /RANT off.

JHarris1385
05/19/2011, 06:48 PM
@Marlin - How do you get sponsor on the rock crawler app?

Marlin
05/20/2011, 04:16 AM
*EDIT* Full disclosure. I unbricked an iPhone for a client today that the Apple Store "Geniuses" across the street couldn't budge, hence my longwinded post. I usually don't work on apple crap since their premium prices and smugness annoy the hell out of me. Apple and their customers can go have thier smugfest in thier spendy little hipster enclave. But this old hacker just bested them on thier own hardware, and that was the first time I'd ever even held an iPhone 4G. /RANT off.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Somehow I missed this post, I too hate the Apple aura as wel like to call it. Seems inappropriate to have an Iphone and not drive some kind of hybrid or top end luxurycar. Definitely not appropriate for the Zu. :)

I have a droid2 global from Verizon running the newest droid OS.

@Jharris-I have no idea, this is a beta platform, so we are in at the ground floor so to speak. I think that is an upcoming option....patience young one, I have beat all the levels, ironically with the rubicon. If you just get to Baja4 and then do it over and over again, you get about 3K per race, and it only takes 10 seconds or so.

RickOKC
05/20/2011, 07:21 AM
Interesting thread! I'm shopping for a new phone right now and leaning heavily toward Verizon & one of the Droid phones. (Saying "AT&T" in Ok City is currently worse than dropping the F-bomb in church. Worst. Service. Ever.)

circmand
05/20/2011, 07:34 AM
You Are All Just Rushing To The Day The Machines Takeover The Earth And We All Become Part Of The Borg Cooperative!!!!!

Stop Now And Save Humantiy!!!

Omg Save Me I Am Being Attacked By My Toaster With The Bagel Option!!!

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

JAMAS
05/20/2011, 08:01 AM
Omg Save Me I Am Being Attacked By My Toater With The Bagel Option!!!

At least your spell check hasn't become self aware yet. :)

circmand
05/20/2011, 08:30 AM
At least your spell check hasn't become self aware yet. :)

Jamas

JHarris1385
05/20/2011, 09:43 AM
Oh I have beat it, or completed all the levels.

Gizmo42
05/26/2011, 09:30 PM
One warning with using some apps. On my way to Moab I had Google Maps Navigator and Pandora running with the screen on (what good is a gps if you cant see it) on my Droid X. Even with it plugged in the battery was down to 30% by the time I'd gotten from Aurora to Glennwood.

Glad I rooted mine. Free tethering came in really handy in Moab since Red Rock doesnt have wifi and the wifi at the campground went down at one point. I used Z4 Root which worked perfect. I have the full backup of the way the phone came, then cleaned out all the bloatware.

Crawl is fun but frustrating. They have had a lot of bugs which have slowly gotten better with updates but the last one causes it to crash all the time on my X.

I use Accuweather for checking the weather. If you turn the phone sideways it shows the current radar which is very useful when storms are rolling through.

The ghost detector is worthless. Its never detected mine.

Handcent SMS is a much better texting progam then the one that comes with the droid. Just have to turn off auto correct.

I'm using Firefox as a browser at the moment. Might try Dolphin later. Both are much better then the one that comes with it.

Marlin
05/27/2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks for all the great info. I may have to root it finally. I can't help myself...I will say that the voice to text program that came OEM on my droid is awesome. It is pretty accurate.

Crawl is indeed getting better, but I seem to only have a crash when I switch from trail to garage. I still have one level I haven't been able to beat. I even have the ridiculous 170K truck. Its not any better than the Heep...the Papa SMmurf Jep is pretty sweet though, ridiculous fast, put it on 48s and just go. Only way to get past the Epic Jump level.

JHarris1385
05/27/2011, 06:00 AM
I just beat all the newest levels. Mine really never crashes at all.

RickOKC
07/27/2011, 08:12 PM
Ok... it's obviously not an app, but I wanted to add a little VehiCROSS goodness to my new Droid phone so I made a little custom wallpaper:

EXAMPLE:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6128/5983456296_0e5f698444_b.jpg

I don't know if it could be used on other phones, but it's just a 480x800 .jpg image. I made a few versions while I was playing around, some are a little lighter so it looks a little more carbon fiber-y for those who like it:

WITHOUT ISUZU LOGO
REGULAR
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6121/5983456260_2e9985ea4c_b.jpg

LIGHTER
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6009/5982893987_2b3ae9d516_b.jpg

WITH ISUZU LOGO
REGULAR
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6133/5982995475_57a8f53672_b.jpg

LIGHTER
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/5982995495_d5d8d0bde1_b.jpg

My new favorite "useless app" for Droid is a Live Wallpaper called Puddle Drops. As you tap the menu screens, it gives the effect that the background is under water. I'm easily amused.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/5982894025_387079e38b_b.jpg

Gussie2000
07/27/2011, 09:27 PM
I have a t-mobile's HTC HD2 with android OS running on honey comb.Windows mobile is just so worthless that once i switched i never,ever had any remorse i got rid of windows.

Is hard to tell which of both is better Iphone or android,but certainly both of them are the future of mobile devices.

JHarris1385
07/27/2011, 09:29 PM
Nothing too crazy about it, but the Scrabble app from EA is good. Better than Words with Friends and Droid Words.