PDA

View Full Version : no transmission dip stick/filler tube???

vxfocus
05/09/2011, 10:59 AM
i was going to service my trans with a filter/fluid change and noticed there is no filler tube???how the heck Do you fill the trans with fluid?and how do you check the level?
HELP

MSHardeman
05/09/2011, 11:13 AM
I was just as shocked as you are when I first went to do the same thing. From what I understand the transmission is a "closed" system and shouldn't require the addition of fluid......yeah right. The only way to check, and fill, the transmission is to get under the VX and check it there. Someone will have to back me up on this, but I think there is a check plug, as well as a drain plug, on the tranny (I know there is on the transfer case).

Mile High VX
05/09/2011, 01:00 PM
Here is an older thread but it has all the information you need:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9166&highlight=transmission+fluid+change&page=3

And a great write up:

http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx/Technical/4L30E_01.asp

vxfocus
05/09/2011, 02:52 PM
WHAT A STUPID DESIGN!!
They never thought of someone might have to service the trans??
my cooler lines were so hard and brittle that they could not be clamp tight enuff for them not to leak.so now i have to do gymnastics to fill change the fluid....STUPID!

PK
05/09/2011, 05:24 PM
Gee whizz fellas - I just start the engine up, and then check the level on the dipstick.

If it needs topping up, I use the filler tube.

JDM's rock!!!!!!!

PK

VX KAT
05/09/2011, 05:50 PM
Gee whizz fellas - I just start the engine up, and then check the level on the dipstick.

JDM's rock!!!!!!!

PK

http://serve.mysmiley.net/tongue/tongue0011.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

no seriously, why in the world would the JDM have it and not ours??

Ldub
05/09/2011, 06:11 PM
my cooler lines were so hard and brittle that they could not be clamp tight enuff for them not to leak.

What I'm wondering is, why would he need to top it off? Where could the fluid possibly go???

Mark Griffin

:_confused..:rotate:

:flower:

PK
05/09/2011, 07:17 PM
What I'm wondering is, why would he need to top it off? Where could the fluid possibly go???

Mark Griffin

Well, I have to admit that I haven't had to put any top up oil in yet.
Only owned the beast 3 years.:yeso::yesb::yesgray:

But when I do need to, I can. :bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

PK

Dmitrikr
05/09/2011, 07:23 PM
do or do not suppose to change fluid every 20000 miles? ))

etlsport
05/10/2011, 06:35 AM
I do a quick drain and fill about every 15-20k removing maybe 5 quarts and refilling. Fluid always looks pretty good coming out. I do have a leak on the pan so sooner than later I will be dropping the pan and doing the filter as well. Guess maybe when i do that I'll do those cooler lines as well

mhill
05/10/2011, 08:20 PM
I followed Joe Blacks write up but I did the filter also. You need to support the tranny with a jack and take off the support (cross member) to get the pan off to change the filter. I know you can get the pan unscrewed but there is not enough space to take the filter out and put new one in. I also changed the transmission mount while I was there. Mine was metal to metal, the rubber was just weak after 11yrs.
Good Luck.

tom4bren
05/11/2011, 05:00 AM

JDM's rock!!!!!!!

PK

Well, I have to admit that I haven't had to put any top up oil in yet.
Only owned the beast 3 years.:yeso::yesb::yesgray:

But when I do need to, I can. :bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

PK

Does anyone else get the distinct impression that Ol' Petey is making subliminal references to sumpin other than a hydraulic fluid level guage??? I gotta tell ya - the mental images are quite disturbing. I don't think that we need PK's dipstick becoming a topic of daily discussion.

Ldub
05/11/2011, 05:42 AM
And, FWIW, I'll post this for the umteenth time...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

And for you Tom...PK's dipstick

VX KAT
05/11/2011, 08:22 AM
Does anyone else get the distinct impression that Ol' Petey is making subliminal references to sumpin other than a hydraulic fluid level guage??? I gotta tell ya - the mental images are quite disturbing. I don't think that we need PK's dipstick becoming a topic of daily discussion.

actually, no T4B, I think you're the only whacko that got that impression....:_wtf: now you'll have Petey talkin' bout dipsticks and racks! :eek:
.oh, OK, I'll take care of it again.....:slap:..:goof:

tom4bren
05/11/2011, 08:30 AM
T4B, I think you're the only whacko

Where's the love???

Gussie2000
05/11/2011, 08:57 AM
According to wikipedia GM discontinued the 4L30-E back in 2002.

There after they developed the 5L40-E which features a 5 speed gearbox instead of the 4 that our trans came with.

Does anyone knows if the 5L40-E is compatible with our VX ?