PDA

View Full Version : Thread pitch on cladding wheelwell screws?

VX KAT
05/08/2011, 02:42 PM
When I test fit my JDM mudflaps, found some of the existing flange bolts in the rear wheel well of cladding were just a tad too short to catch with the mud flap in place. They're 25mm long and some weird thread pitch. We figured 30mm would work.

Took it to Fastenal, they id'd them in a book, but don't carry them. Gave me part # and name of an auto paint shop that carried them.

Went to auto paint shop, they ordered them.....or so I thought. Two weeks later I call to check, they determine never ordered. By this time I can't locate the paper with the part#...:_brickwal...have to go back to Fastenal (it's closer) and start again....:_brickwal

They're M6 x25mm, and I "think" Fastenal said pitch was 1.81. Anybody know?

I plunked around on the Isuzu schematics info but couldn't find that detail.

Here's the bolts:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_6905.JPG

BOARZHEAD
05/08/2011, 07:30 PM
when i did my bodylift these came off but they were pretty messed up so I put bigger and more aggressive screws in there and now now way they will come out.. :)

Triathlete
05/08/2011, 08:10 PM
Have you taken them in to your local Ace hardware. The one up the road from me has quite the collection of nuts, bolts and screws of about every type.:yesy:

VX KAT
05/08/2011, 10:11 PM
when i did my bodylift these came off but they were pretty messed up so I put bigger and more aggressive screws in there and now now way they will come out.. :)

And the size you went with was__________?????

Have you taken them in to your local Ace hardware. The one up the road from me has quite the collection of nuts, bolts and screws of about every type.:yesy:

I have indeed, and HomeDepot....neither had anything close, so next stop was Fastenal...was surprised they didn't have anything either. Fastenal sales person looked them up in a reference book (I can't recall the mfg name), noted they had a very course thread, and gave me the part # from that catalog. Looks like I'm goin' have to revisit them and get the part # again. (No, I'm not putting them on before Moab....in addition to the 2 cladding screws, they ALSO require several long strips of double stick tape to complete the installation....so they're not a quick removal once installed. I got the waterproof 3M doublestick tape, so I'm all ready to go once I get the longer flange bolts)

RickOKC
05/09/2011, 05:19 AM
When you went to ACE, did you visit the automotive section, too? My store has a small section of fasteners specifically for vehicles (hood liner pins, etc.)

MSHardeman
05/09/2011, 07:55 AM
Sort of :ot: here: you may want to remove/ be careful with the mud flaps in Moab (if you leave them on) as they may catch on stuff and get torn off.....and we wouldn't want that. It'll be cool to see them, can't wait.

VX KAT
05/09/2011, 08:07 AM
(No, I'm not putting them on before Moab....)

Sort of :ot: here: you may want to remove/ be careful with the mud flaps in Moab (if you leave them on) as they may catch on stuff and get torn off.....and we wouldn't want that. It'll be cool to see them, can't wait.
:p

MSHardeman
05/09/2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks Sue. Apparently I need to learn to read before I type. :mbrasd:

It would still be cool to see them in person.

VX KAT
05/09/2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks Sue. Apparently I need to learn to read before I type. :mbrasd:

It would still be cool to see them in person.

I'm bringin' 'em. Just call me Kat Klampett!

MSHardeman
05/09/2011, 08:44 AM
Are you going to be hooking a trailer up to that fancy new hitch? Doesn't seem like you'll have enough room with all of the goodies that you're bringing. Wish I could be there to see you pull in to The Stoop. Take pictures for sure.

SilverBullet75
05/09/2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Sue,
I don't know the pitch, but here's my thread on stainless screws. I bought them from Fastenal as well. Part number is listed too. Seems to be same pitch. See pics...
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19287&highlight=stainless+cladding

VX KAT
05/09/2011, 01:34 PM
Hi Sue,
I don't know the pitch, but here's my thread on stainless screws. I bought them from Fastenal as well. Part number is listed too. Seems to be same pitch. See pics...
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19287&highlight=stainless+cladding

I'd forgotten about that thread, nice! But these are flange bolts, they're the two at the bottom and rear of each wheel well arch. Looks like those have a very course thread too, like the ones I'm after, but I'd need a bigger head ...(ok, no comments boys!) I recall the Fastenal person saying he could tell these were definitely automotive bolts because of the very course thread.
I'm going to stop by Fastenal with your part #and see if it leads us to an alternative. Thanks.

BOARZHEAD
05/09/2011, 03:01 PM
LOL What I had..

VX KAT
05/09/2011, 09:41 PM
Pic of the bolts I'm after in 30mm length.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_6905.JPG

tom4bren
05/10/2011, 04:04 AM
KAT,

You don't need to match those screws 'zakly. As long as it's a slightly larger screw, it'll self thread the hole during install. I think that those are the same ones that I replaced with pan heads in case my tires contacted them during tight turns. I picked them up at Lowes.

AFAIK, Ace buys all of their fasteners from Fastenal (at least the one local to me does) so if Fastenal doesn't carry a specific screw, then Ace prolly doesn't either.

Tom

VX KAT
05/10/2011, 07:47 AM
Yup, Mark, that's the screw. Oddly, top one will catch but bottom one wouldn't when I added the mud flaps....suspect hand-made car explains that. Just curious if the JDMs with flaps use the same 25mm bolts or longer:?::?:
Anybody across the pond(s) know?

Thanks Tom, I'll try Lowe's...we're going that way today. My HomeDepot seems to have zip for car screws/bolts etc...

rowhard
05/10/2011, 07:55 AM
Insert 2 cents;

Sue, don't be critical about the thread pitch, it's not a machine thread.

Just find sheet metal screw that is slightly larger in dia. and as long as you need. If you want it black, pick up a rattle can of flat black and be done with it.

VX KAT
05/10/2011, 08:02 AM
Insert 2 cents;

Sue, don't be critical about the thread pitch, it's not a machine thread.

Just find sheet metal screw that is slightly larger in dia. and as long as you need. If you want it black, pick up a rattle can of flat black and be done with it.
Sounds like an easy idea. The OEM is 6mm, so I'll look for a 7 or 8?

rowhard
05/10/2011, 09:24 AM
Think US, 3/8"

VX MileHigh
08/10/2012, 02:35 PM
Mark

The fastener marked "29" in the drawing, is that a rivet? I am trying to take the cladding off and didn't want to break a plastic fastener, if possible. If those are rivets, will I have to drill them out and replace with a different fastener?

Is this the screw you need?

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/vx/cladscrew.gif

#8-97094-909-1

This screw comes up for a Honda. Sue, if that's the screw you need, order it today, pick it up tomorrow. Done! It doesn't get much easier than that.

Well, I see you're looking for a longer one of that same screw, so ordering the same one wouldn't help, so never mind. :rolleyes:

Mark Griffin