PDA

View Full Version : Hood Insert 'Crack' FIX?!

BeeVenom
05/08/2011, 01:36 PM
Hey, Gals/Guys!!! Any suggestions on a good fix for the infamous crack that mysteriously appears in the hood insert? Mine's got it now and I want to fix it but eveyone around here is telling me it can't be done since it's kinda flexible. I don't buy it! Any good solutions out there? I'm gonna start experimenting this week. :D

BOARZHEAD
05/08/2011, 03:04 PM
I just sanded and repainted

jmayer40
05/08/2011, 04:23 PM
Experiment with resin and hardener without fiberglass. sand and paint. i'm thinking of covering it with carbon fiber vinyl..

vt_maverick
05/08/2011, 05:01 PM
I don't have a crack in mine, but I'm hoping one of these CF scoop insert threads actually deliver so I can take care of it before it happens.

jmayer40
05/08/2011, 06:49 PM
This is what have bought, good deal at the time. 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl - 36" x 60" .... and the link is... http://www.autogoody.com/servlet/the-668/3D-Twill-dsh-Weave-Carbon-Fiber/Detail It was alot cheaper than most and Autozone only sells 17" x 24" . That will cover one mirror. This will do hood insert and mirrors hopefully..

BeeVenom
05/08/2011, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't mind using the 3M carbonfiber material but I still want the hairline crack fixed first so it doesn't show up after a while which I know it would given some time. I know i'll have to use something to fill the crack and blend it smooth regardless of whether i repaint it flat-black or cover it.
I also have a spare prototype c/fiber hood insert that I got when i purchased the VX about eight years ago but I really like the 'stock' Isuzu insert when it's lookin' good and in like new condition. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Riff Raff
05/08/2011, 09:09 PM
This is what have bought, good deal at the time. 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl - 36" x 60" .... and the link is... http://www.autogoody.com/servlet/the-668/3D-Twill-dsh-Weave-Carbon-Fiber/Detail

x2. Me likely. Granted, any cracks or deformations would have to be repaired/prepped prior to installing the vinyl decal material. Perhaps some sanding; using some filler compound and further sanding would remove any imperfections prior to the vinyl decal application.

Besides the traditional Charcoal/Gray CF, the CF vinyl decals are also available in various colors like Yellow CF (for a Proton), Red CF (for a FoxFire), and Green CF (for a Dragon). I think a color-matching CF color to the VX paint would look super-trick and unique from the regular norm!!!

:bgwb:

VXjunky
05/08/2011, 09:27 PM
having built surfboards most my life....try fiberglass....and if you're not handy with resin and glass............try surfboard, boat shop,, or spa repair

technocoy
05/08/2011, 09:41 PM
This stuff right here is friggin' magical.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-CHEMICAL-PLASTICS-26006/dp/B002GJO2UW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1304916004&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/USC-Icing-24-tube-Finishing/dp/B003BWHIBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1304916004&sr=1-1

It's a two part system so it's a bit like a resin. I believe it's urethane based and it's extremely flexible. I've used it several times on prototypes that were cast for toy productions, etc. I also used it on my old amigo with a fiberglass filler underneath.

Depending on your crack you should take a very small very fast drill bit or end mill and drill a tiny hole right at the end of the crack. If you aren't sure of the actual end of the crack, drill just a fraction of an inch out from it. That will provide relief in the form of a curved surface and stop the crack from continuing. Once you've done that you will want to groove the crack a little so you have some depth to apply your filling solution. The stuff I linked to is VERY low shrinkage, so you can put in one coat as the filler for the crack, then go back with a very smooth skim coat.

I'm betting you'll be good for a while if not permanently with that.

Then like the others said, that 3M dinoc is amazing. It's what they are using to do these "stealth black" "paint jobs" on these insanely expensive super cars. It's guaranteed for like 3 years or more in direct sunlight if I'm not mistaken. If 3M has taught me anything though, it's that their product typically FAR outlast their "guaranteed" lifespans.

It's also amazing stuff to work with. Just heat it on the edges and wraps with a heat gun and it sucks and smooths down to the surface like magic. It's a pleasure to work with.