PDA

View Full Version : to K&N or to not

USMCvxOFFROAD
05/02/2011, 01:41 PM
looking at a K&N air-filter anyone have any input? I'm thinking about removing my air box and installing a K&N filter and maybe a possible stage 2 turbonater electric supercharger any input on that as well?

etlsport
05/02/2011, 05:20 PM
i have one of the Morgan-Tec intakeswith a cone air filter, very happy with it, and still get pretty decent gas mileage, i see no real downside other than money

never heard anything good about electric superchargers

Ldub
05/02/2011, 06:04 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mdwholesale.com%2FMythbusters _Turbonator.html&ei=O1W_TcCMCI7ZiAKz_-CXAw&usg=AFQjCNESekVIsgBRIjp04FdcsVS3wZ7Wyg&sig2=WJPrYn0EOqi3sBRKLOyrYw

Triathlete
05/02/2011, 06:05 PM
I use a drop in k&n and have been happy. Regular air filters are nearly as exspensive. Those electric superchargers are a total waist of money...you might as well wire your wifes hairdryer into it.

Grif
05/02/2011, 06:47 PM
I used a drop-in K&N filter in my stock airbox before I installed my WeaponR setup. I was pleased with the K&N. Its major advantage being supposedly higher airflow rate and is intended to be cleaned and re-used as opposed to being replaced when its gets dirty. They have a special cleaning kit that costs a few extra $$, but the fact that your not tossing airfilters out when they simply get dirty might save a few bux in the long run.

RamAirZ
05/02/2011, 08:09 PM
I say unless your planning on making some sort of "shield" for around the filter and a bracket to support the tube, I'd just go with a drop-in K&N. The flow rate should be very close and as for gains on these trucks I'd say they'd be identical. Plus you have a sealed box. As for the electric supercharger, like already mentioned, don't waste your money.

USMCvxOFFROAD
05/03/2011, 08:13 AM
thanks for the info K&N is probably my next step

BOARZHEAD
05/03/2011, 07:28 PM
:yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy: Hair dryer... True that. Was thinking of taking my ac ducts and putting them into my intake for a cold air intake tooooo...:yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy:

I use a drop in k&n and have been happy. Regular air filters are nearly as exspensive. Those electric superchargers are a total waist of money...you might as well wire your wifes hairdryer into it.

Ldub
05/04/2011, 12:17 AM
:yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy: Hair dryer... True that. Was thinking of taking my ac ducts and putting them into my intake for a cold air intake tooooo...:yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy::yesy:

:laughing:

Too much WORK

Just fill the cavity under the filter with dry ice...:yesgray:

BigSwede
05/04/2011, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't use a K&N. Filtration is poor, and you run the risk of getting oil on your MAF sensor.

Triathlete
05/04/2011, 11:55 AM
I have had my k&n in for about 4 years without any issues. I think as long as you don't over-do the oil you are okay. After oiling mine I set it out in the sun on a piece of newspaper to let any excess "melt" off before reinstalling it.

SlowPro48
05/05/2011, 10:07 AM
re: Turbonator... Definitely pass on that... What a joke!

re: replacing airbox w/ K&N... I'd vote "not" because the disadvantages outweigh the advantage. First of all, if you ditch the airbox you'll lose your Helmholtz resonator and second, unless you've modded to substantially increase HP (i.e., more fuel flow), the only real upside to a K&N is its reusability - and you end up offsetting that advantage with the cost of cleaner and oil - and most importantly - your valuable time!

If you decide to go with a drop-in K&N, you can have mine. Has about 20K miles on it. (if that matters) The previous owner had installed it. One of the first things I did was yank it out (for the very reasons BigSwede mentioned) and put an OEM in it's place. Didn't have the heart to throw it away though... It's yours for the cost of shipping!

BeeVenom
05/05/2011, 04:35 PM
I've got the Spectre long cone with a carbonfiber CAI intake. Works quite well. I also use Spectre's small cone breather filter. They look cool together, are very effective at filtering, create a nice sound when accelerating and are reasonably priced. I got mine when they were on sale at AutoZone. They're carried pretty much everywhere.

Cobrajet
05/06/2011, 08:47 AM
I have a K&N flat filter sitting in a box. Took it out after having multiple CELs for MAF codes. Haven't had a code since.

Ldub
05/06/2011, 04:40 PM
I have a K&N cone filter, with a K&N oiled foam pre filter over it stuffed into my modified stock airbox.
Plenny air to feed the hungry S-C.

Yes I do throw codes now & again because filter oil fouls the MAF, but I don't find cleaning it 1-2 times a yr, with CRC MAF cleaner to be THAT big a chore...:_wrench:

H3_VX
05/06/2011, 07:48 PM
I've got a K&N 63 intake kit for my h3. Best $300 i've put into it so far. No problems at all with it. Big difference in acceleration, especially at higher rpms.

VXR
05/07/2011, 12:42 AM
I use a drop in k&n and have been happy

X2:yesb:

mindaugas
05/16/2011, 03:27 PM
Mine came with a drop-in K&N, no problems so far. I cleaned it and oiled, no codes/warnings