PDA

View Full Version : TOD off 4 wheel high combo mod

twostep1n2
04/29/2011, 08:17 AM
I have been thinking about this for a wile the two mods are very similar. The same parts just configured differently, so by adding a relay and changing the switch type to a three position on-off-on I could combine them and get complete control of the transfer case output. This combined with locking hubs will give me all options. Last weekend I installed it and it works grate. Although the two wheel drive mode still makes the front drive line turn somewhat no real power just turning, was a disappointment. I was looking to reduce ware tare on the CVs and boots. Oh well its still cool.

This is how it works

1. With the selector switch in the TOD position the TOD works normally.

2. With the switch in the center or 2 wheel drive position. The drive signal from the TOD ECU is diverted from the TOD solenoid to the 2 10 ohm resisters providing a dummy signal to the ECU to keep it from faulting out. This causes the transfer case to stop sending power to the front drive shaft.

3. With the switch in the 4 high position a full 12v signal is sent to the TOD solenoid and a dummy signal is sent to the TOD ECU. This causes the transfer case to give a 50 50 split to the front and rear drive lines.

Supplies

Q
1 double pole double pole center off toggle switch (on-off-on)
1 standard Bosch type automotive relay (NO/NC 12v coil)
2 10 Ohm 10 Watt resisters
2 12v panel lights

For wiring see diagram
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/Visio-2WD-4_High_diagram.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20666)

circmand
04/29/2011, 09:04 AM
you posted it twice

Just kidding but you have to be careful when posting very easy to do double post

vxfocus
04/29/2011, 11:20 AM
so does this eliminate the shifter for the 4wheel high low selection??

tom4bren
04/29/2011, 11:25 AM
Nope. The shifter is still needed for low range on the transfer case.

vxfocus
04/29/2011, 04:54 PM
then what does this mod do???

Mile High VX
04/29/2011, 05:04 PM
so does this eliminate the shifter for the 4wheel high low selection??

'cause if'n it do then we got us some cup holder room...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

etlsport
04/29/2011, 06:52 PM
then what does this mod do???

this mod would allow you to lock your TOD in a 50/50 split without going to the lowrange, which limits your speed to about 40-50mph

most 4wd vehicles give you a 4hi option, which is our TOD mode, but you are still primarily rear wheel drive until you start to lose traction, so by time the 4wd kicks in you have lost traction (but iirc tod reacts in less than 1/10 second, so its not a HUGE deal)

twostep1n2
04/30/2011, 08:57 PM
Both the TOD off 2 wheel drive switch and 4 wheel high switch mods have been done before. I found the instructions here. I just combine them in to one switch.

The switch lets you electrically choose how the transfer case behaves. There are times when locking the front in to a 50/50 split in high range would have its advantages like snow or ice. Or out here in Ca playing in the dunes or sandy washes in the desert. It’s all about options I guess. Besides I can't leave anything stock for long.

simel
05/04/2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you for the tips, i live in Quebec and looking for somekind of transfert case to put on my VX. you give me the solutions!!!

simel
05/04/2011, 12:15 PM
Next step is to put 2 dana 44 diff. under my truck and monted it on 4 coil spring. I'll send some pictures when the job's were done!!! Thanks again!!!

simel
05/04/2011, 01:04 PM
Do the 4x4 display (in dash) work with the switch or continue with the ecu???

twostep1n2
05/05/2011, 10:49 AM
Not sure what your asking but I can tell you how it acts in the three modes

in 2wd I get full bars
in 4 Wheel high I get full bars
in TOD it acts normally

Basicly any time the TOD ECU sees the resiters instead of the TOD solenoid it gives me full bars. However it dose not give me any check TOD lights. I have been driving it daily for several weeks in 2wd and have had no issues.

helf
05/20/2011, 01:02 PM
Oh wow. This is great, this is one of the things I was wanting to eventually do to my VX. I'm so glad I found this forum.

I can't wait till I have the time to start doing stuff to it.

motoTrooper
08/16/2011, 07:00 PM
When you have it locked in 2wd have you measured any difference in gas mileage? Taking all out all the friction losses would seem to push the mileage up into 18-19mpg? Just wondering...

Ebenezr
08/16/2011, 07:31 PM
Haven't I heard that the TOD should not remain actuated in 50 50 split for extended periods because it will overheat the coils in the Transfer case?

blacksambo
08/16/2011, 08:31 PM
Yep. You're playing with fire. Let the VX do the VX thing, and leave it alone.

twostep1n2
08/17/2011, 07:09 AM
I have been running it in the 2WD mode since I posted this thread (4 months near 2000 miles). I also installed manual hubs and have them unlocked. As of now I have had no ill effects. However I have seen no gains in mileage ether. The only advantage I can see to having it in 2wd and unlocked hubs is less ware and tare on front driveline parts. But I can do some mean doughnuts in the dirt, that’s gota be worth something. The mod just gives me more options.

Phil