PDA

View Full Version : Half Doors:Thoughts?

wekilled
04/28/2011, 04:45 PM
Was wondering if anyone ever did a post about half-doors. Did a search and couldn't find anything.

Was thinking if I could ever find two doors that were banged up on top it would be fun to cut them along the cladding level with my saw, reinforce them, and then add a wide rounded convex black plastic piece (maybe from another vehicle plastic bumper) for added rigidity semi-expanding foam might work. Might be able to make them if I had two pieces of the side cladding.

Thought I could make it legal if side mirrors were incorporated, sort of a "pull out once attached" thing. Not sure if it would be road-legal. Anyone smart on this part?

A buddy has quick releases on his door hinges and mirror electrical connections on his truck for removal during off-roading, and it might something worth doing for beach cruising/4x4 fun. (once I get the diamond rubber matting installed over the carpet).

Alot of work for no good reason, but would be an interesting project.

Thoughts?

Triathlete
04/28/2011, 04:52 PM
Why not just go with quick releases on the doors and then do tube doors...you could even attach door cladding to them for looks.

Bob Barker
04/28/2011, 05:47 PM
I don't know what laws control it, but if a jeep can cruise down the highway with no doors why can't we?

and like Triathlete said, make some simple tube bends/welds for a little impact barrier and some quick hinges fitted to factory door and tubes. Would be a pretty cool thing I think!

circmand
04/29/2011, 07:22 AM
provided by doors is veri important. The jeep design allows for no door support. The VX needs them or the weight starts pinching the space left open closer together and then having ill fitted doors. The tube suggestion would provide for this support. I think the look of the VX without doors or partial doors would be less attractive without removing the top. That would be based on different peoples tastes of course.

Photoshop anybody?

wekilled
04/29/2011, 08:22 AM
That's why this forum is so good. You really get alot of "didn't think of that," to take into account. More of a thought vs me heading out to the garage this weekend. I don't even own extra doors to attempt it. Still intrigued by it. Same with the removable rear area ala the Amigo. That is certainly way past my skill level and a lack of air nibbler, welder-probably a good thing.

MSHardeman
04/29/2011, 11:40 AM
I thought that with a body on frame design, like the VX, that the doors didn't really give it any structural rigidity. Since the weight of the body is sitting down on the frame it shouldn't matter if the doors are there or not. Even if they are there it doesn't seem like they would contribute much rigidity as they are really only touching the body in three spots (two hinges and one latch.

I've seen a couple of Rodeo's out in Moab without their doors and they don't seem to have any problems.:_confused

wekilled
04/29/2011, 07:56 PM
Kinda what I was thinking since its a Trooper frame and not unibody, and while I do off-road here at the Hollister 4x4 park, I don't beat it up too bad since I need to get to work in it. (That and the latch end is not a stationary connection)

Not really an issue anyway as I'd have to find a junked VX with doors to play with anyway. Wanted to go for sort of a Halo Warthog look for summer. Just was hoping someone had thought of this already.

Ala5ka
04/29/2011, 08:51 PM
do tube doors that bump out, if it gets laid over, than it could potentially hold the weight saving your cladding given the hinges and latch werent destroyed.

vt_maverick
04/29/2011, 08:57 PM
I don't have Photoshop but this might give you some idea since the doors are mostly out of the way:

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/gullwing4/DSCF9013a.JPG

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/gullwing4/DSCF9015a.JPG

samneil2000
04/30/2011, 08:15 PM
I think some tubes that incorporated the cladding would be sweet. Hmmm. And those lambo doors are utterly rediculous. I love it!!