PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid

Amack76
09/18/2003, 08:56 PM
anyone have directions on how to change the transmission fluid?

2000 ironman
02/26/2005, 12:23 PM
your best bet would be to go to a lubrack like chevron and have them flush it when you change fluid you really only change about 2 quarts :mad: flushing changes all of it. cost about $140.00 ;)

Tone
02/26/2005, 02:22 PM
Jiffy Lube charges $89 for a flush and at all of the places you will have to educate them about the process and our 'sealed' tranny. Flushes are extremely good and far better than the 4-5qts that comes out if you just drain the pan.

I confirmed today with a transmission rebuilder and several independent shops, that filter changes ARE strongly recommended every 20-30K at most on ANY automatic transmission. There will ALWAYS be metal and plastic particles coming off of the parts that could clog the filter, or circulate through the tranny, and prematurely cause failures.

Fortunately, the VX DOES have a magnet in the bottom of the tranny pan but of course that can only be cleaned when the pan is off, a tedious job requiring dropping the crossmember. Isuzu could not even quote me the labor for this but did want to charge $76 for the filter alone which I bought for $23!

Andrey
02/26/2005, 04:59 PM
Tone, the crossmember became an obstacle for my shop so I end up not changing filter - just complete flush with Royal Purple. I would love to change filter and gasket but......

kpaske
02/26/2005, 07:50 PM
There are some really good directions on Joe Black's web site:

Tranny Fluid Change (http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx/Technical/4L30E_01.asp)

Maugan_VX
02/27/2005, 06:30 AM
dropping the crossmember shouldn't be any big deal for a real transmission shop. When I return home, I've got an appointment to have my tranny flushed and serviced for $120. Would have been $80 if they didn't need to drop the crossmember.

Just need to make sure the backend of the tranny is supported when the crossmember is removed so the weight of the whole driveline isn't put on the motor mounts.

kpaske
02/27/2005, 08:37 AM
Tone -

Where did you get your filter from? Do you have a part number?