PDA

View Full Version : what say you, VX peeps?

Bob Barker
04/27/2011, 07:27 PM
I have a crush on Fords, and especially the Lightning. I'm really really really wanting a 2nd gen lightning in Sonic Blue and I've found a few that I could afford ONLY if I sold the VX. Wife keeps talking me out of it... but that's for another day.

I found this 1st gen lightning for sale that someone added a transfer case and front axle. It's a true lightning (vin checks out) and a really clean one at that. I think it looks amazing! What is the general thought of a 4x4 vehicle board?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/lightnings-buy-sell-245/767098-fs-1993-lightning-4x4.html

Ldub
04/27/2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry Bob...

The price is WRONG...:(

Not a fan...but that's MY preference...

Triathlete
04/27/2011, 08:13 PM
Not my cup'o'tea...just another Ford with a big engine.

Grif
04/27/2011, 08:18 PM
Looks like a pickup truck.

Bob Barker
04/27/2011, 08:21 PM
er... it is a pick up truck... :confused:

I understand it's not everyone's preference. But it is (to me) one of the cleanest 4x4 pick ups that I've ever seen, and it's a true to the VIN lightning on top of that. If I owned it and ever wanted to sell it, simply unbolt the 4x4 parts, replace the carpet from the shifter and get factory wheels. I have been drooling over this for a while. I'll most likely pass it up, just wanted to share. :D

Riff Raff
04/27/2011, 08:59 PM
Looks like a pickup truck.

x2. The only vehicles that can compete on the "cool" issue with a VX is a classic FJ-40, a Bronco (1st Generation or New Concept), a Defender-90 or the never to be built Hummer H4/HX. Anything other than that is frickin' boring!!!

:zzzo:

RamAirZ
04/27/2011, 09:16 PM
I like it, but I think I'd wait for a 2nd gen. It's super clean though and a nice job. But I couldn't see myself owning a regular cab truck anyways unless it was an extra vehicle, but I also have kids lol

Bob Barker
04/27/2011, 09:27 PM
In my eyes this is equivelent of a VX with a supercharger and 35''+ tires. It's a rare short run vehicle, highly collectable and someone made it stand out even more so, and it's not a hacked looking job. Came out real clean and runs very well. Plus with a 351W engine you can forge the internals, bore it, add lots of nitrous and have a gnarly arse fast truck!

VX KAT
04/27/2011, 09:33 PM
x2. The only vehicles that can compete on the "cool" issue with a VX is a classic FJ-40, a Bronco (1st Generation or New Concept), a Defender-90 or the never to be built Hummer H4/HX.

I really like them too....but not enough to buy one.....but we liked the D-90 enough to buy....had it for 5 yrs, lots of fun.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/New_Mexico_2004_244.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Big_Bend_Dec_2003_092.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/New_Mexico_2004_253.jpg

RamAirZ
04/27/2011, 09:48 PM
That's a nice D90! And John, I'm with ya, if I didn't have kids I'd love to have a Lightning even though I'm a Chevy guy. Too bad they didn't supercharge the 1st gen Lightnings, but that 351 is a nice base to start with and your right, fix it up and it'd be fun as hell.

RickOKC
04/27/2011, 10:05 PM
Wowee, that is a terrific lookin' truck!

Are you saying you would have to sell the VX if you get the 2nd Gen but can keep it if you get this black beauty? Or would you have to become VX-deprived no matter what?

Bob Barker
04/27/2011, 10:42 PM
I could get this 1st gen without selling the VX, but it would really piss off my wife! Not that it's stopped me ever before, but this would be a long stint in the time out corner of the bedroom I'm sure.

To get a 2nd gen I'd have to sell the VX either before buying one or after depeding on the cost of it. I don't really want to sell the VX though...

RamAirZ
04/27/2011, 10:44 PM
I say you suck it up and deal with the time-out corner and get the Lightning and keep the VX :) I think she'd get over it pretty fast lol

Bob Barker
04/27/2011, 11:13 PM
Only problem is I'd eventually have to get rid of one of them, the L the VX or the SVO. and with the way I "personalize" my vehicles I'd be hard pressed to find someone who wants to pay what I'm asking :laughgray

RamAirZ
04/27/2011, 11:20 PM
lol true that. Sell the SVO, make the lightning fast, you can go fast AND haul crap

Bob Barker
04/27/2011, 11:29 PM
;Do;

RickOKC
04/27/2011, 11:34 PM
Sounds like you should buy this Lightning as long as there is enough left in the budget to buy something nice for Mrs Barker, too! :)
I know that makes it seem like I'm a sweet, sensitive gentleman. In reality, I'm just a big fan of everybody keeping their freakin' pie-holes shut. (Disclaimer: all advice I give is from the viewpoint of an unmarried loser.) :laughing:

samneil2000
04/28/2011, 05:20 AM
I've always had a thing for the Lightnings as well, especially the 2nd gen ones. I agree that is a nice truck but I wouldn't trade a VX for it. For folks that know what a lightning is, it has meaning. To everybody else, it's just a 4x4. The VX is always going to be unique whether you know anything about them or not.

ZEUS
04/28/2011, 10:48 PM
I gotta say I often have to shake my head at remarks from VXers. I ain't no Ford guy, cuz I don't like the fire danger. :p However, this is a nice looking, rare, (and as far as I know) one-off ride! Who gives a crap what other people think you are driving!? You know what this truck is - everyone else including Matt Lauer can SUCK IT! If wifey likes the VX so much I'd say you have an excuse to have both! But... I'm like Rick. :smilewink

RamAirZ
04/28/2011, 10:53 PM
Like I said, sell the SVO, make the Lightning fast, and you have your fast ride again (either vehicle will be admired by the Ford crowd) plus be able to haul stuff. AND you could offroad it if ya wanted lol

Bob Barker
04/29/2011, 12:12 AM
Well I just got the new ECU that I've been waiting on since last Nov. for the SVO so I'll just have a few weeks with it if I sold it. I'd really like to have the SVO running perfect before I ever put it up for sale. Besides, this guy hasn't responded to my request for more info yet and he was on the verge of deployment so it may be a little to late.

RamAirZ
04/29/2011, 07:25 AM
Ya usually you shouldn't jump on things when you find em' like this, you regret it later. I'm guilty of it too.