PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining the VX

Sheik-YurBooty
09/18/2003, 02:28 PM
Ok, I've had my VX bout a month ,& I love it even more as each day goes by! There is absolutly NOTHING that I can say bad about it! It looks and rides like its brand new (26500 miles on it). Now if I can only keep it that way. My problem is that I know very little about engines,plus I really don't have the time to work on it even if I did. What I need to know is when to tune it, when to change the oil ( should I use synthetic oil?) what types of filters to use etc. I know that most of you must agree upon the same things. So if I can get a little input as on what I can do to maintain it , or even improve it ,I would be extreemly greatful. & does anyone know of a good mechanic or dealership in the NYC,Long Island area where I can take it for these types of service's.....Thanks , Bruce,,,,,,PS.. the one thing that I can do to the VX is wash & wax it! I can do that w/the best of em!

AlaskaVX
09/18/2003, 02:47 PM
First of all you should do your own oil changes (save the reciepts) and I would switch over to synthetics, I use Mobil 1 15w-50? (red cap), I can't find some of the other oils people on this site recommend up here in AK. I change my oil every 3,000 miles, which I guess is a little much when using synthetics, but it won't do anything but good.

I would switch all your other fluids to synthetics also (transmission/transfer case/differentials) people reccomend stuff called Royal Purple, but I can't find that here either. Do a search on "fluids","Royal Purple", and "Mobil 1" and I'm sure you will find what you want.

Heraclid
09/18/2003, 03:13 PM
Dude, you are in excellent shape because A, you're here on this forum, and B, there are several members in your immediate area who can assist you. You'll be just fine. :-)

Anita
09/18/2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Sheik-YurBooty
PS.. the one thing that I can do to the VX is wash & wax it! I can do that w/the best of em!

You got a LOT on competition there! ;Dr;

TDAWG
09/18/2003, 05:59 PM
Hey Sheik-YurBooty,
I agree 100 percent with Heraclid. You are diffently amongst family and you live in NY. You might wanna hook up with them on any dealerships that they go to. I personally have meet most of them from the area. I think that when it comes to knowledge and showing you things you might wanna try and hook up with Hotsauce (John) he's alway on top of things. The other guys know alot 2. We have the pleasure of being blessed with some VX Gods like Scott, Tone, Ron, Rickster, Nav, just to name a few. Oh and I woun't forget the Goddess Anita.