PDA

View Full Version : Why is this on the axle???

VXorado
04/25/2011, 10:33 AM
Next to #1 on the diagram, there is a square weight bolted to the top of the axle. I started having a knocking noise after dropping the diff 2 inches and found it was the weight against the frame. Anyone know the purpose & what will happen if I remove it? :_thinking:_thinking

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/front_axle_assy.jpg

twostep1n2
04/25/2011, 11:41 AM
I just did a diff drop and there was no weight on my diff. mine is a 2001 I don't know if that makes a difference. It looks like it may have something to do with reducing vibration. Is there any rubber between the weight and the diff?

Bob Barker
04/25/2011, 01:37 PM
I don't see how you could drop it 2" and now it hits the frame. The diff shouldn't move once bolted back in place.

That is either a bump stop or there to help reduce vibrations, or both. Since it's hitting the frame, if you remove it you will be hitting the differential on the frame since it's "next" in line!

VXorado
04/26/2011, 08:50 AM
I just did a diff drop and there was no weight on my diff. mine is a 2001 I don't know if that makes a difference. It looks like it may have something to do with reducing vibration. Is there any rubber between the weight and the diff?

No rubber but it has 2 bolts & a bracket that hold it above the diff. Is there anything on the top of your diff? I got the diagram from the 2001 VX service manual, so I assume your diff should have a weight.

I don't see how you could drop it 2" and now it hits the frame. The diff shouldn't move once bolted back in place.

The diff does move... 2 inches down :p. The frame goes inward for the control arms/crossmember and when the diff is lower it has less room side to side.

I'm putting the weight on a grinder slimfast diet to see if that helps :bwgy:

Triathlete
04/26/2011, 09:33 AM
Maybe it was intended to help stop axle wrap?

Ldub
10/05/2011, 08:18 AM
Maybe it was intended to help stop axle wrap?

I'm thinking mostly it's a vibe damper, but...:_confused

That being said, the third that my 4:77's came in had no such monkey block, being from an older Trooper.
I thought about changing the R & P from the old Trooper casting, into the one form my VX, but quickly talked myself out of that, as it would entail setting up the gears, pressing bearings on & off, yadda-yadda-yadda...that all added up to extra time & expense that I preferred not to spend.

Bottom line...there is no such block on my current rendition of a front axle assembly, & I have noticed no bad ju-ju because of it.

If anything, the "mystery clunk" that many of us experience upon release of the brakes after coming to a stop, is now a thing of the past.
However, that might be due to re-tightening the trans mount to the trans/cross member, which was done at the same time...:_wrench:

VXorado
11/10/2011, 09:07 PM
I left mine on just in case but I think you're right about it being for vibration. It may have something to do specifically to stop vibrations on the AWD/TOD setup or maybe it was just installed to be confusing :_thinking

Marlin
11/11/2011, 11:51 AM
I didn't have one when I did my diff drop, but I have a thunk as well. It is my ball joints:( I also think there is some front prop shaft noise, look at the angle that you have on that CV joint now, not pretty. I have ripped two sets of boots on the prop shaft at this point (not replaceable, I picked up a spare shaft at the yards) I have decided to leave it alone until it starts screaming, then swap again. :)