PDA

View Full Version : Applying Stongard lens covers

VX KAT
04/17/2011, 07:03 PM
***Applied the StonGard covers today....it was 83, I cooked the car and the lenses in the sun for a while. Instructions say to turn lights on to warm headlight lenses. I didn't do that. Cleaned my BEA_U_TIFUL lenses with window cleaner as listed in instructions.

~It said to start in the middle and push outward in all directions. I understand why, but you'd have to be a contortionist to accomplish it, or have very willing helpers that you don't mind being really close too. Plus it's nearly impossible to assure that it's lined up properly that way.

~You CAN NOT touch the sticky side with anything, or it leaves a mark...even my rubber glove left a mark.

~So, I started at the bottom, got them perfectly aligned, pushed upward. The flat part of the lenses is pretty straight forward, but gets much harder after the curve.

~You have to slowly peel back the paper and keep a good grip on it while your other hand is rubbing the crap out of the film/cover to make sure no bubbles remain.

~Where ever you stop the paper, it forms really tiny tiny tiny bubbles (no comments :p) along that entire straight line near the paper. I could NOT get those bubbles to go away. So everywhere I stopped, I've got a line of tiny bubbles. I tried to go a little faster on the 2nd lens, and not have so many stopping lines that form the bubbles...it came out a little better than the first lenses because of that, I think.

~When they're warm like that, you can "guide" and persuade them a bit, so getting them aligned was pretty good since they were pretty malleable.

~As I got to the bottom of the horn, they were a bit askew, so I tugged on the hot vinyl and moved it a bit, but couldn't move it quite enough. So a piece next to the horn is a little too close, starts to slightly go up the side of the horn very slightly, with a ton of those tiny bubbles.:(

~The other skinny piece next to the horn, on the other light, has about 1/2" at the very tip/end that has a bubble under it, and despite much persuasion and pushing, it won't stay stuck down...

~I got them on, but I have to wait 3 or 4 days to see if the "white spots" they mention on the package go away as they say they will as the glue cures.
That said....I'm pretty leery.

~Also noticed that they have a slight waviness/distortion to them, they're obviously not optically clear. Wonder what that might do the light pattern emitted from my HIDs??? It's not dark yet so can't check.

**** The set ALSO comes with covers for the front turn signals and round marker lights. I installed the turn signal covers, no problem, was a breeze. Can't even tell they're on really. Since the CLEAR turn signal lenses I bought from Bantan appear to be identical OEM (not Klearz or VXC), except clear, I'm really glad I have them protected now.

Haven't decided on the round markers yet...I may have other plans for that area!

OVERALL: I discovered I have 3 or 4 chips in my lenses when I first used the 3M kit about 2 months ago. I presume they're from my dirt road and my long road trip. So knowing that, protecting them was important to me.

Right now, I'm pretty disappointed in the headlight ones, but it will be better if the tiny bubbles go away. I think I can just cut off (and re-shape) the skinny pieces that aren't sticking next to the horn.

If you see some air bubbles as you're applying it, you can pull it back and redo. It's a very industrial strength adhesive and is really sticky, but you can do it....and must be careful not to touch the adhesive side.

I'm HUGELY disappointed in that my fantastic polish job on the lenses, is basically totally irrelevant now, since the film covers it and likely will have some blems.

Ashley, I don't think you'll find these satisfactory. Definitely wait until I see if the bubbles go away.

The good news...I absolutely believe these things can be just heated up and pulled off if desired. I don't think it would hurt the lenses at all.

I took some pics, and will take more each day, will post some soon.

Riff Raff
04/17/2011, 07:28 PM
I've heard that sometimes when applying window tint, that pre-wetting the surface with a thin film a Windex will allow the tint to be perfectly postioned before the adhesive takes hold. I'm wondering if this same trick can be used with the StoneGards, since they are basically a window tint material in clear color???

Basically, the thin wet film of Windex would allow the StoneGards to slip-n-slide on the headlight surface until in perfect position, then squeegee out the Windex liquid so that the regular adhesive backing then takes over. Once dry (by evaporation over time), there would be no air bubbles and they would be in perfect alignment position on the horns.

Hmmm, perhaps "LUNA-X" (our local paint & body expert) will chime in here with an opinion.

:_confused

vt_maverick
04/18/2011, 05:41 AM
I'll say one thing for Moab, it sure pushes people to do their mods in a hurry. :) Thanks for giving it a go Sue, I may still have my headlight guy take a try. After working with him before, I have the feeling that he won't charge me anything for installing them if they turn out like crap.

I will be disappointed if it doesn't work out - maybe I should have bought those clear GTS covers from you after all. :(

VX KAT
04/18/2011, 08:25 AM
maybe I should have bought those clear GTS covers from you after all. :(

Maybe I shouldn't have sold them....:rollo:

VXjunky
04/18/2011, 08:47 AM
sue youre slipping...no pictures???????????

VX KAT
04/18/2011, 08:53 AM
sue youre slipping...no pictures???????????

re-read the last line...

VXjunky
04/18/2011, 09:06 AM
ive known i was slipping for quite awhile

VX KAT
04/18/2011, 02:36 PM
Posted many pics to a picasaweb album with captions.
https://picasaweb.google.com/114757442466168457700/STONGARDHeadlightsCovers?authkey=Gv1sRgCIiCpYOIoYO TeQ&feat=directlink

VXjunky
04/18/2011, 02:44 PM
dont know why i was thinking they were gonna be the blackout type....who makes those (blacked out ones)

VX KAT
04/18/2011, 02:49 PM
dont know why i was thinking they were gonna be the blackout type....who makes those (blacked out ones)

No, neither Ashley or I want the black out kind. We've been talking about the "StonGard" type that adhere with some 3M industrial strength adhesive on the backing.
GTS makes the three types, clear, smoked and carbon fiber. Little Beast has the smoked ones on his.
Go to Summitracing.com

VXjunky
04/18/2011, 03:19 PM
thanks sue...as always, good job

Luna X
04/18/2011, 03:47 PM
as Riff mentioned, a dilted mixture of any glass cleaner w/water sprayed on both the stone guard and headlamp would work great...

that allows you to peel the backing off completely and position it before starting the squeege process

VXjunky
04/18/2011, 03:49 PM
hmmmm...same way window tint is applied ?

vt_maverick
04/18/2011, 05:56 PM
Posted many pics to a picasaweb album with captions.
https://picasaweb.google.com/114757442466168457700/STONGARDHeadlightsCovers?authkey=Gv1sRgCIiCpYOIoYO TeQ&feat=directlink

I like the look of them though - just looks like a bad tint job right now. When you get the bubbles out I think they'll look pretty good.