PDA

View Full Version : Window making a grinding noise - DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

Kenny
04/16/2011, 09:09 AM
So for the last month I had this bumpy grinding widow action going on.
I figured it was a dirty rail and guides I needed to clean and lube. Left it for when the weather got warmer. oops.

Turns out it was the window regulator cable that started fraying and by the time I got to it the other day, I had a birds nest and a non-functional window.

To fix it, I needed the entire window regulator kit (no motor). It's also not something you get from NAPA here, so I ordered one from Merlin ($100).

It's a week delivery because it comes from Isuzu, not stocked locally. And he said there seems to be a good inventory of them.

Lesson learned: window feels bumpy and grinding, check the condition of the cable. Easy to see when the door panel is off. If it's fraying - it's on its way and order a replacement before it fails or your taping your window up like me for a week.

I'll edit the post in a week or so with pics of the replacement. Looks fairly straightforward. Only #issoff is I wish I was fully prepared to modify the lifter to fix the window jam problem. Just not up to speed on the options at this time with what's easily available.

Cheers.

IndianaVX
04/17/2011, 05:25 PM
Mine is hanging by about 3 strands. When mine did this, I got the snips, and got that tangle out of there. But I can only roll the window down a couple of inches reliably. It on my ever increasing to do list....

dietz99vcross
04/29/2011, 04:29 PM
Yep, thats me today with the drivers side. Of course the right side is available on E-bay. Window went all the way down and then the cable decided to rewrap itself in a not so normal way. Pulled the window and regulator out, but it's 7:00pm on a Friday so I guess the plastic wrap window will have to hold while I get a replacement. Wish I had heeded the advice and checked this when the first post was made.

Mike

Daly
05/10/2011, 02:23 PM
Does the door panel pop off to check the cable? Do I need new platic thingys if I do pop off panel?
I don't see any screws anywhere.

tom4bren
05/10/2011, 03:13 PM
Daly,

Try going through the links in this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20270&highlight=window+fix

I'm sure there will be some instructions buried in there somewhere.

IIRC, there are several screws that need to be removed before you pop off the door panel ... I just can't remember where. I think you have to pop off the window control panel & there is one behind there & another at the end of the door pull. You also have to remove the screw behind the door release and slide that little cover out.

I've had my panels off a few times & haven't had to replace any of the fasteners yet.

etlsport
05/10/2011, 03:56 PM
the screws to remove the door panels are

(1) on tweeter pod
(2) under pull handle
(1) on release handle