PDA

View Full Version : A little Moab prep, a little TLC, and more $$$ well spent.

nocturnalVX
04/12/2011, 12:50 PM
I just ordered a set of the R1 Concepts Cross-Drilled & Slotted brake rotors, and (taking a slight detour on the way to Moab next month) will have the brakes done at St. Charles Automotive. While there, my VX will also get the 120k service, timing belt & water pump replaced, and maybe a few more things that have been on the to-do list for a while.

Saving money has never been easy, but if it keeps my VehiCROSS running strong for another decade or more... I'll be a happy camper! :yesy:

Of course, one of my co-workers asked why I'd spend all that money before rolling off a cliff. FACT... I didn't roll my VX off a cliff last time I was in Moab. I slid it off, and it was only halfway. :rotate:

MSHardeman
04/12/2011, 01:16 PM
And didn't a big rock catch you?

Way to go with the preventative maintenance.:thumbup: Better to spend a little now, than a LOT later when something goes wrong.

nocturnalVX
04/12/2011, 01:52 PM
Way to go with the preventative maintenance.:thumbup:

I may have used the VX to do some crazy things, but I've been very good about maintenance. I use it, not abuse it! Even when the trans. went, the VX would not fail me... I'm going to keep on returning the favor.

Triathlete
04/12/2011, 02:58 PM
I am getting ready to change tranny and tcase fluids, oil and filter and charging the ac. Moab here I come....

...again!

BlackVXer99
04/14/2011, 12:47 AM
when do you plan on going to St. Charles automotive? just curious, ill need this done soon also but was still looking for a shop, and was curious about feedback/opinions/cost etc from there. And im only about 20 miles from St. Louis. thanks in advance :yesgray:

nocturnalVX
04/14/2011, 10:59 AM
I'm heading there right before Moab, so May 12th is the target date. I just noticed that you are right over the border... You are so lucky! Why haven't you been taking your VehiCROSS there?

BigSwede
04/14/2011, 03:40 PM
Well, Merlin works in Parts, not Service...hopefully he has some pull over there too! :bgwb:

nocturnalVX
04/15/2011, 07:22 AM
Merlin was kind enough to put me in touch with the ISUZU service tech. Eric. Sounds like a cool guy, and is going to have the service guys give my VX all the TLC it deserves. I know I'll get taken care of as far as parts go... crossing my fingers about the service. :yesy:

pbkid
04/19/2011, 09:12 PM
Of course, one of my co-workers asked why I'd spend all that money before rolling off a cliff. FACT... I didn't roll my VX off a cliff last time I was in Moab. I slid it off, and it was only halfway. :rotate:

didnt you also 'dislocate' your door as well my friend? :p

nocturnalVX
05/12/2011, 01:35 PM
Looks like the VX is in great shape...

The 120k service found the drivetrain and suspension bits in good shape (regular maintenance is key), and no repairs needed other than a couple of fluids getting swapped. They are replacing the tensioner while the water pump and timing belt are getting done. While doing the brakes, they found what may be causing my abs light and are fixing that too. On top of all that, there are a few TLC issues getting attention as well. Plus, they are hooking me up with a 10% discount on labor to go along with the discount Merlin hooks us up with on parts!

I highly recommend St. Charles Automotive if you are in the area or passing through.

nocturnalVX
05/12/2011, 07:41 PM
Picking the VX up tomorrow, and maybe doing lunch with Merlin. Then... heading West!