PDA

View Full Version : 2wd for gas milage

vxfocus
04/10/2011, 07:31 AM
does anyone know if this is possible or has anyone done this.
with cas prices going up already i was thinking about taking the front diff assy out for the summer along with the drive axles and front drive shaft.
i figure that is alot of weight and gears that the engine would not have to move or turn.
i dont need 4wd in the summer anyway
what do you guys think??

etlsport
04/10/2011, 08:04 AM
many have pulled the axles. doesnt help enough to make it worth the effort. as far as weight.. its probably less than a full tank of gas, so no substantial savings there

best way to improve your gas mileage.. think about it while you drive, coast when you can, if possible cruise around 60-65 instead of 70-75.

i monitor my fuel consumption very closely, if i drive 60 the whole way home, i get 17-18. if i drive 70 i get 16-17mpg. if i drive 80 i get 14-15 mpg

from obeserving my scangauge..

at 80mph im using 90-100hp
at 70 mph im using 75-80 hp
at 60mph im using 50-60 hp

vxfocus
04/10/2011, 08:15 AM
but the whole weight of the carrier case and diff has to help not to mention the gears that have to be turned even if the drive axles are removed the engine still is using horsepower to move the drive shaft then in turn the ring and pinion gears??

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2011, 09:13 AM
I have mine set up by over riding the TOD. I have a switch that turns off the TOD completely. I drive about 98% of the time on RWD and i tell you this, i don't really see a difference at all. Not worth taking it off, in my own opinion. Just drive like a grandma, not crazy and keep the tires well inflated.

Gussie2000
04/10/2011, 09:46 AM
but the whole weight of the carrier case and diff has to help not to mention the gears that have to be turned even if the drive axles are removed the engine still is using horsepower to move the drive shaft then in turn the ring and pinion gears??

There's few things you can do to improve MPG.

Besides eric's suggestions i'll add a cold air intake,get rid of unecessary load in your trunk,keeping your tires @ the recommended PSI,have your VX's balancing/alignment in good stats and last but no least,using good fuel

etlsport
04/10/2011, 11:00 AM

all true, but the weight is very small compared to the 4,000lb vehicle especially considering that you add 150-200lbs with a driver, another 150-200lbs with a passenger, probably 100-150 lbs with a full tank of gas

as far as the driveline drag, it is there, but the vx doesnt have any more drag than my civic, i cant imagine it getting much better

VXjunky
04/10/2011, 11:47 AM
i purchased my VX from a computer engineer who installed an all wheel drive shut off switch....its activated in neutral with tranny in neutral and engine off....dont know the particulars but ill ad a pic in my gallery ....looks factory........

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2011, 07:50 PM
I can turn on and off mine with a flip of a switch, i'll be driving in dry ground and then drive in rain 2 sec's later and turn it on with a flip and works perfect. I love it.

VXjunky
04/10/2011, 08:20 PM
im a-feared to turn mine on and off , on the fly...the previous owner (who installed it)...said he'd always switched it off and on, with the engine off, in neutral....and like you Coastie, i dont notice any difference in gas mileage .

Riff Raff
04/11/2011, 12:27 AM
Nah, a better way to saving overall gas money is to buy yourself a used cheapo gas mizer car and use it for your Daily Driver. Buy like a used Ford Festiva, Honda CRX-HF, Geo Metro, etc for cheap $$$. Save the VX for pleasure outings. If you must use your VX for your DD, then pretend you're hauling fragile eggs and gently feather the gas pedal at all times.

:bgwb:

LittleBeast
04/11/2011, 01:01 AM
I have both CV's removed, and the front driveshaft removed, and do not see any real improvement in the MPG.

I have not yet replaced my CV's that I blew while mudding, and just took the front driveshaft off because it was not doing much good anyway and the CV joints on it (yes our front driveshafts have CV on them, U-joints on the rear driveshaft) were completely shot from just being old, so I already have new ones, but am waiting for a real good reason to replace it all.

VX KAT
04/11/2011, 04:29 PM
We all know the VX is a gas pig, but have you ever calculated the break even point on buying an ADDITIONAL car or doing some spendy mod?? Hope you can follow my calculations, they go from top to bottom in each example. Hope this is helpful to folks trying to make a decision.

A) Buy a cheap gas-miser car:
Assume it costs $2,000, and it increases MPG from 16 to 30 MPG....a full 87.5% increase.

~ VX: 16MPG x 22.5 gallons = 360 miles per tankful
~ Miser:30MPG x 22.5 gallons = 675 miles per tankful (assume the tank is same size as VX, doesn't affect calculations)

~ You'd gain 315 extra miles per full tank

~ 315 miles ÷ 30MPG = 10.5 gallons to travel that far

~ At $3.50/gallon x 10.5 gallons = $36.75 saved on a full tank....
~ At $4.00/gallon x 10.5 gallons = $42.00 saved on a full tank...

~ Another way of looking at it is:
with gas @ $3.50, you save .05 cents/mile ($36.75 ÷ 675)
with gas @ $4.00, you save .06 cents/mile ($42 ÷ 675)

~$2,000 ÷ $36.75 = 54.4 tankfuls....before breaking even
~$2,000 ÷ $42.00 = 47.6 tankfuls....before breaking even

If you fill up every 2 weeks:
~54.4 tankfuls (x2) would take 109 weeks =2 YEARS, 3 months
~47.6 tankfuls (x2) would take 95 weeks =2 YEARS JUST TO BREAK EVEN.....and only then would you begin saving any money :_thinking

B) Do some modification to the VX:
Assume you do modification that costs $1,000,and it increases MPG from 16 to 20 MPG....a full 25% increase, which is doubtful.

~ 16MPG x 22.5 gallons = 360 miles per tankful
~ 20MPG x 22.5 gallons = 450 miles per tankful

~ You'd gain 90 extra miles per full tank

~ 90 miles ÷ 20MPG = 4.5 gallons to travel that far

~ At $3.50/gallon x 4.5 gallons = $15.57 saved on a full tank....
~ At $4.00/gallon x 4.5 gallons = $18.00 saved on a full tank...

~ Another way of looking at it is:
with gas @ $3.50, you save .03 cents/mile ($15.57 ÷ 450)
with gas @ $4.00, you save .04 cents/mile ($18 ÷ 450)

$1,000 ÷ $15.57 = 64.2 tankfuls....before breaking even.
$1,000 ÷ $18.00 = 55.5 tankfuls....before breaking even

If you fill up every 2 weeks:
~64.2 tankfuls (x2) would take 128 weeks =2 YEARS, 8 MONTHS
~55.5 tankfuls (x2) would take 111 weeks =2 YEARS, 4 MONTHS JUST TO BREAK EVEN.....and only then would you begin saving any money :_thinking

Insurance costs and other misc. cost factors weren't applied in these calculations, but I hope it gives you a better overview of the break even points.

Found this website handy for tracking MPG, fuelly.com. It's kinda fun. Here's my VX:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vxkat/vehicross

Grif
04/11/2011, 05:04 PM
Interesting analysis Kat. Thanks for that! Tho somehow I don't think I'd be spending nearly $100 a week on gas if I were driving my 1.8l Saturn SL2. Actually considered starting to drive it again. nawww.... lol

etlsport
04/11/2011, 06:40 PM
I agree with you sue for the most part, but in my case I am fairly certain a secondary car is the way to go. But it must be the right car/situation.

I had an 05 civic that averaged 35-37mpg. If I could get that again at the rate im going I fill up at least 2 times a week.. I would brake even much faster, of course thay kind of gas mileage would require closer to a 5k car

factor in a vx oil change is about 35 dollars a civic would be 20, thats another 15 dollars a month, tires for the vx are around 800-1000, 400-500 for a civic.. a savings of 400 every 2 years or so.

Factor in the sadness that I feel every time I cross another MILEstone (hit 112k tonight) for me it makes more sense to get a little car. That said, allison offers me the use of her civic almost every day since she only works a few miles from our house. I haven't taken her up on it yet. I just love driving my vx far too much!

VX KAT
04/11/2011, 06:50 PM
I agree with you sue for the most part, but in my case I am fairly certain a secondary car is the way to go. But it must be the right car/situation.

I had an 05 civic that averaged 35-37mpg. If I could get that again at the rate im going I fill up at least 2 times a week.. I would brake even much faster, of course thay kind of gas mileage would require closer to a 5k car

factor in a vx oil change is about 35 dollars a civic would be 20, thats another 15 dollars a month, tires for the vx are around 800-1000, 400-500 for a civic.. a savings of 400 every 2 years or so.

Factor in the sadness that I feel every time I cross another MILEstone (hit 112k tonight) for me it makes more sense to get a little car. That said, allison offers me the use of her civic almost every day since she only works a few miles from our house and I haven't taken her up on it yet. I just love driving my vx far too much!

Yeah, you're right, there are other factors like maintenance etc. Just plug your numbers into my calculations. You'll obviously hit the break even a lot sooner if you're filling up x2/week, but if you have to spend $5k for the car, you're talking a lot later break even point.. Don't forget to add the insurance for the 2nd car.

But there's an intangible figure here too, that you can't put a dollar figure on. It's exactly what you said, seeing the mileage add up on the VX. :( So a 2nd car IS worth it in some scenarios and it's not related to fuel costs at all.

VXjunky
04/11/2011, 07:00 PM
also take into consideration a $2000 dollar gas miser (BEATER)....is going to be just that...at the end of its road where repairs are going to be, if not already, an on going issue

etlsport
04/11/2011, 07:38 PM
also take into consideration a $2000 dollar gas miser (BEATER)....is going to be just that...at the end of its road where repairs are going to be, if not already, an on going issue

Very true.. Part of "situation" I guess. In my case I get parts at cost and do repairs myself so thats minimal. Esp considering my vx gets top quality parts and. a DD would get the white box special.

(i'm still trying to convince myself to get a car that would keep my mileage down :))

vxfocus
04/11/2011, 08:10 PM
16 mpg..i wish..i'm gettin 13.5!!!

rsteinmetz70112
04/11/2011, 08:50 PM
A proper financial analysis would include depreciation (VX depreciation may be negative or 0), maintenance and insurance. That would likely push the return out significantly.

Although if you sold your VX you might do pretty well, depending on the replacement.

CoastieCosta567
04/12/2011, 06:30 AM
Im still looking for my beater, can find the right one yet, but hopefully this weekend i'll drive to orlando and go to there cheap-o dealers. Trying to buy something around $500-3000. I've had my eyes set on those ugly geo metros. They get 40-55 mpg and are cheap all around. Also on the CRX, but to get a cheap-o one , the HF i think is the gas saver model, not sure right now. also looking at old 3 series BMW's, old VW Rabbits and even the toyota celicas.

eternal21
04/12/2011, 10:31 AM
Convert to a 5MT.

VXjunky
04/12/2011, 11:28 AM
my rabbit pickup with a fuel injected 88 jetta engine and trans gets 29mpg....for sale, im at car over-doss .... with 7

FlyingV77
04/14/2011, 10:12 PM
What about a motorcycle or moped? 75-100+ mpg depending on the bike. And you still get the cool points

Bob Barker
04/14/2011, 10:56 PM
What about a motorcycle or moped? 75-100+ mpg depending on the bike. And you still get the cool points

I'm gonna give this guy a call tomorrow! Lives just down the stree from me! Super awesome 100mpg! Plug that into your return on investment math and smoke it!:bgwb:

http://florida.freecycleshopper.com/motorcycles-and-parts/honda-ruckus-scooter.html

Kona-Vs
04/14/2011, 11:29 PM
I agree with what you guys and ladies are saying about having a second gas sipper to run around in. What you have to avoid is the 2000$ and under Honda or what ever that cost big to keep running. Over 100K miles things like timing belt, injector pumps, bearings, exedra can coast more than the extra gas to run the VX. I've always liked classics like old VWs. a nice bug or Karmen ghia gets good mileage, easy and cheep to fix, gets lots of attention, and increases in value. I know some of the old classic can be a little uncomfortable,a price for beauty. I drive a 2002 Jetta diesel 40+mpg every few days or so.

VXjunky
04/14/2011, 11:36 PM
so we're back to the 1967 vw's....never a bad place to be

djvx
04/19/2011, 10:20 PM
16 mpg..i wish..i'm gettin 13.5!!!
I swear to God mine get's like 8 :mad: I wonder if I could shut down 2 cylinders and make it a 4 banger

Bob Barker
04/19/2011, 10:30 PM
Any body here ever look into hydrogen generators for our trucks, or any vehicle? I have read a little, but all I can find seems to be someone else trying to sell me their kit for SEVERAL thousand dollars, or sell me a do it yourself kit that I doubt will work or would wind up damaging my engine.

LittleBeast
04/19/2011, 10:59 PM
Any body here ever look into hydrogen generators for our trucks, or any vehicle? I have read a little, but all I can find seems to be someone else trying to sell me their kit for SEVERAL thousand dollars, or sell me a do it yourself kit that I doubt will work or would wind up damaging my engine.

I think you answered your own question..... :-)

Bob Barker
04/19/2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but I don't like that answer! I want 32mpg!!!

Mile High VX
04/20/2011, 06:48 AM
Yeah, but I don't like that answer! I want 32mpg!!!

Get the new Kia...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Ldub
04/20/2011, 07:00 AM

Oh yaeh...that was a good one...:laughing:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14131&highlight=hydrogen

Search "hydrogen" for more...:yesgray:

Riff Raff
04/20/2011, 10:06 AM
Get the new Kia...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Nah, probably the baddest new gas sipper coming out is the brand new 2012 (being released Summer 2011) Hyundai - VELOSTER!!! It gets 40 MPG from its 138HP 1.6L 4-banger, has total front-to-rear panoramic moonroof, with base price starting at $17K. It has a 1-door (coupe design) driver side; a 2-door (sedan design) passenger side, along with a rear hatchback door. Check-out the new Hyundai - Veloster on the internet, it's just plain bad@*** from every angle!!! A true VX'er type ecomomy car.

Maybe VT-Maverick will post a "link" for me, since I'm not that computer savvy.

Mile High VX
04/20/2011, 10:56 AM
Here is the Motor Trend article:

http://motortrend.automotive.com/151913/1101-2012-hyundai-veloster-look/index.html

From Hyundai:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/veloster/experience/

So Riff, I know you hate 4 doors but what about 3?

Riff Raff
04/20/2011, 05:41 PM
So Riff, I know you hate 4 doors but what about 3?

Thanx for the "links" (and they are excellent choices, too). Well; I still hate all 4-door vehicles, however the Hyundai - Veloster is an exceptional 3-door that I could find room in my heart (and garage) to live with. I understand their market strategy is tailored towards the small beginning families (or single mothers) with a single child. That's why the 3rd door on the passenger side for easy access to a child safety seat, because everyone knows that the right-rear corner seat of a car is the safest location for child protection. The Hyundai - Veloster has some very unique features for a starting price of only $17K. I can't wait to see and test drive one later this year. Very cool indeed.

CoastieCosta567
04/20/2011, 06:07 PM
dude, i love it. If only i had 17k to start with.

Ldub
04/20/2011, 08:31 PM
That's why the 3rd door on the passenger side for easy access to a rifle , shotgun & pistol cases, because everyone knows that the right-rear corner seat of a car is the safest location for gun protection.

It is kinda cute...:yesgray:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/veloster/experience/images/veloster_exterior_dualExhaust.jpg

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/veloster/experience/images/veloster_exterior_3rdDoort.jpg

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/veloster/experience/images/veloster_exterior_airIntakes.jpg

VX KAT
04/20/2011, 08:46 PM
Wow, Hyundai and Kia are just kickin' our American buttinsky! This and Rowhard's new Kia whip! Wohoo! Have you guys seen how their quality scores have just gone through the roof! Whoodda thunk it just 10 years ago?

Very cool lines, looks pretty good.. ..is that TWO hood scoops???
Front's just a bit bulbous for my taste, but that may look different in person.

Oh, so that 3rd door is for my, um, Italian hardware? I see! Nifty!

Riff Raff
04/20/2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/veloster/experience/images/veloster_exterior_dualExhaust.jpg

Wow, I just noticed how the rear tail-lights of the Veloster closely resemble the same shape/size of the front head-lights of a VX. Hmmm, rear-facing snake eyes. Very spooky comparison!!!

L-Dub--- x2 on the gun transport. Excellent 3rd door idea, my friend. Maybe with some slight modification, the Veloster could be a mini-sized Zombie Hunter vehicle. Time to ponder.

VX-KAT--- The 3rd door would be great for all of your eBay items that you buy & sell (and possible more cats), LOL. Yes; I too am flat amazed at how both Kia & Hyundai have risen to stardum in the last few years, especially with their 10-year/100K mile warranty. A lot of bang for the buck!!!

Ldub
04/20/2011, 09:31 PM
Front's just a bit bulbous for my taste, but that may look different in person.

Oh, most definitely...:yesgray:

In person it looks like this:

http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/771000/771168_1bb8_625x1000.jpg

Ha-cha-chaaaaa...:smilewink

CoastieCosta567
04/21/2011, 06:39 AM
If I'm not wrong, Isn't Kia an American car, domestic I mean?

I did read an article like 2-3 years back, that Kia and Hyundai said they wanted to start to compete with Lexas and Mercedes-benz, they said that they didn't even want to have a pit stop with Honda and Toyota, but go straight to the gold mind.

samneil2000
04/21/2011, 06:53 AM
That Veloster looks a little like the Nissan Juke. I still like that little car. Contemplated getting that but went with the Lincoln MKX since it wasn't much more than the Nissan. Now that gas is headed towards 4 bucks a gallon, I almost wish I would have gone with the Nissan since it gets 30 where I'm getting 20 in the Lincoln.
Oh well...

circmand
04/22/2011, 02:29 PM
looks like the Murano to me

vxfocus
07/05/2011, 06:53 PM
ok everyone,i took the front diff,carrier and drive axles off and whent from 13.5 mpg to 16.68 mpg.been thru several tanks of gas and it seems i get alittle better mpg each tank.
so it may be worth it for the summer month to get the better gas mileage.

Bob Barker
07/05/2011, 09:02 PM
That is a tall list of work to jump 3mpg!

JoFotoz
07/05/2011, 10:54 PM
All ya need to do is...

ok everyone,i took the front diff,carrier and drive axles off and whent from 13.5 mpg to 16.68 mpg.been thru several tanks of gas and it seems i get alittle better mpg each tank.
so it may be worth it for the summer month to get the better gas mileage.

..disconnect the TOD computer plugs..
..and remove your front spline "lock" rings.

Trust me..this was the result of several cocktails, much knowledge..
..and two sponges (dust/dirt barrier) care of Big Swede.

It works..1100 miles so far.

JBTW..fit Aisin or Warn front hub disconnects..and pull yer TOD puter plugs..

..same deal.

No shafts...drive axles..diff this or that!

It got me home..and still going strong :)

jo

VX crazy
07/06/2011, 05:08 AM
My TOD computer plug is not disconnected, just the removal of front drive shaft, will that cause any probs to not unplug it? No noise anymore and better gas milage so far.

All ya need to do is...

Trust me..this was the result of several cocktails, much knowledge..
..and two sponges (dust/dirt barrier) care of Big Swede.

It works..1100 miles so far.

JBTW..fit Aisin or Warn front hub disconnects..and pull yer TOD puter plugs..

..same deal.

No shafts...drive axles..diff this or that!

It got me home..and still going strong :)

jo

vxfocus
07/07/2011, 10:39 AM
but 3 more mpg = 66 more miles a tank

vt_maverick
07/07/2011, 11:53 AM
All ya need to do is...

Seems like the major advantage of vxfocus' method is that you lose all that weight too. Got to be 100-200 lbs. at least right?

VX crazy
07/07/2011, 01:19 PM

That is right, and I just filled up this morning, got another 70 miles on that tank, I fill up almost twice a week so thats a big difference for me!

djvx
02/07/2012, 11:33 PM
vxfocus Is it still going ok so far?
Anyone else try this yet? I could really use a mpg improvement.

LittleBeast
02/08/2012, 12:34 AM
I did the 2wd drive with no front driveshaft and no CV's for a while and did not see that much of an increase in mileage. However I just ran some Seafoam through my engine and gas tank, and have already picked up 2MPG in the city :-) Woohoo!!!!!

VXorado
02/08/2012, 09:40 AM
vxfocus Is it still going ok so far?
Anyone else try this yet? I could really use a mpg improvement.

With the hubs unlocked & the TOD switched off, I seem to get a 1-3 MPG improvement for highway driving. Usually the gains are closer to 1 MPG rather than 3 MPG. In 2010 I got 18.7 MPG (unlocked/TOD off) driving on mountain highways between 50-65 MPH with 32" mud terrains. It was great until I hit a snow storm & spun out the VX.

I haven't noticed much difference for city driving.

VXorado
02/08/2012, 09:43 AM
I did the 2wd drive with no front driveshaft and no CV's for a while and did not see that much of an increase in mileage. However I just ran some Seafoam through my engine and gas tank, and have already picked up 2MPG in the city :-) Woohoo!!!!!

+1 Seafoam is great, the engine purrs after putting it through the air intake.

circmand
02/08/2012, 11:57 AM
you got maintainence on 2 cars. BTW I do my own oild change for $20 and know it is done right.