PDA

View Full Version : Trouble bleeding a new master cylinder

Ebenezr
04/08/2011, 06:12 PM
I replaced my master brake cylinder tonight. It comes with 2 disposable plastic bleeder screws which are used during the bleeding process. It is not to be bench bled so I bolted it in place and filled the reservoir. I placed the 2 bleeder screws on and then attached a one man bleeder kit to both ports on the screws. I turned the engine on but when I depress the brake pedal I get no action. No movement out the bleeder screws and no bubbles no nothing. I would think it would begin to prime immediately. Has anyone encountered this or done this before.?????:(

Ebenezr
04/08/2011, 06:37 PM
Thank you mark. I'm probably allowing it to suck air. I didn't have any help so I was depressing the brake with a 30# sack of fertilizer then I clamped the plastic bleeder lines in the prongs of a fork. kind of how you would shut an IV line off. Then I would remove the sack and start over. This got very tiring. please don't laugh. If you notice in the instructions above you hold your finger over the port while "you depress the pedal". Only a large octupus could do this. its 2 persons.

Ebenezr
04/08/2011, 06:54 PM
My ABS is permanently disabled and yes I run the engine. I did bleed the brakes last week without the engine running then I read that could damage the booster....OOps

Ebenezr
04/09/2011, 07:31 AM
Well. I will pull it off and reseat it today maybe the pushrod is not engaging the piston...

Ebenezr
04/09/2011, 12:27 PM
OK. it was a bad, brand new master cylinder. One compression of the piston and it stuck in the fully compressed position. Advance auto is getting me another right now.

Junster
05/02/2011, 03:34 PM
Wow there's a hard diagnosis. Not something you'd expect huh.