PDA

View Full Version : Transmission overheat

VXspaceship
09/16/2003, 05:44 PM
Last year in October, I took my VX for the 30K maintenance and paid about $400 for that service. Surprisingly 2 weeks after my transmission overheated. I was camping in New Hampshire and used the 4L several times in the snow, it was making some strange 'kiking' and was not engaging properly. I put it back to 4H and shortly after the transmission overheated in the highway. The car was towed to the nearest dealer and they said there everything looked fine. It has been running fine since.
Although, I found out that at the 30K service they did not change the transfer case oil as recommended by the manual. Also they put on both front and rear axles 80w-90 type oil. Acording to the manual the front should use 75w-90 for temps (0 to 90F) wich is the temp range for the North East. I complained and they replaced the transfer case oil, eventhough I still had to pay for the oil. With respect to the axles they said they always use the same oil for both axles, that way they only have to have one type of oil in stock.

Long story..... the question I have is: I can't find in the owner's manual the recommended milage to change the Transmission fluid. It says every 20k under severe driving, and contact Isuzu dealer for further info.
Does anyone know when the transmission should be serviced?

Also, has anyone had similar problems with the transmission?
Do you think is had something to do with not changing the transfer case oil or using the wrong viscosity oil on the front axle?

Tone
09/17/2003, 06:25 PM
Sounds more like low tranny fluid which is the same as the TOD/transfer case fluid - Dexron III or better fluid.

VXspaceship
09/18/2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks, Tone.

As I mentioned, I took my VX back to the dealer that did the 30K check and I assume they checked the tranny, transmission and differential fluids again. It has been running great since.

By the way, I have 45K miles now and have never changed the transmission fluid. Do you know when is the recommended mileage to change the transmission fluid? The owner's manual says every 20K under severe driving conditions. I made an appointment to have it changed next week.

Is there anything I should look out for? I read on the CD Manual that there is a testing equipment called the Tech2 that is supposed to detect the remaining life of the fluid given as percentage. Do you know anything about this? Should I request a copy of that test?

Any comments/recommendations are well received!

TDAWG
09/18/2003, 06:38 PM
If you need a confident mechanic that has worked on the Vx before drop by Pep Boys and ask for Jeff he use to work for Seekonk Isuzu. He told me that when he worked there that alot of the VX's he worked on had minor problems like the window bindding and small stuff like that and that the people behind the counter knew about all the minor glitches we have but don't say anything cuase they don't wanna fix them if they don't have too. That why I went there once but never again. I must say since working at Pep Boys I have found a good shop for my VX. If I need to work on it I can just ask Jeff to do it while I work and she gets all the love and attention for all the guys and girls at Pep Boys. My manager calls her the little Monster that can.:laughy: Cause customers are always aasking him who owns her and did I put a lift kit with those tires.

SGT.BATGUANO
09/18/2003, 10:48 PM
If your trans overheated (how do you know it overheated, did you get a code?). You should completely flush the fluid and and change the filter, as I'm sure that burned fluid loses some of its essential properties i.e., anti-foam, detergent, anti-corrosive, etc. and of course lubricity. If your trans made noises, chances are good the filter may have caught some wear particles.

VXspaceship
09/19/2003, 07:36 AM
SGT.BATGUANO,
It was pretty evident that it overheated, the trans oil temp light came on, trans fluid was leaking and smoke comming out as the fluid leaked on the exhaust system.
My worry is that this happened almost a year ago, and I am almost certain that at the dealership they did not flush the the transmission, I believe they just checked the fluid level and that's it.

Tony TDAWG,
I'll stop by Pep Boys today. The only reason I would want to go to the dealership is because I still have the powertrain warranty, and if there is something wrong with the transmission they have to fix it. But I'll stop by Pep Boys and check anyways, I know that servicing at Pep Boys won't void the warranty.