PDA

View Full Version : Quick Battery Question

Junster
03/30/2011, 07:49 PM
I didn't get a owners manual. I need to know what size the original battery was/is. The group size or measurements would be great. Dunno if you guys are familiar with Odyssey batteries. These beat Optima batteries hands down.

http://www.tnrbattery.com/Odyssey/battery/odyssey-battery.html

I wasn't sure where to post this there is no "questions" Topic

deermagnet
03/30/2011, 07:59 PM
This is from my '99 owner's manual-

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mag/imag/batt.jpg

Mark

etlsport
03/30/2011, 08:06 PM
in my system at work, a few different group sizes come up, 27 and 34 both come up.. a 24 is right in between those two

Grif
03/30/2011, 08:27 PM
The Odyssey site here: http://www.odysseybattery.com/batterysearch.asp

Will size it up for you.

The search leads to a very popular group size 27 model #34-PC1500T. But my god are they spendy!

Mile High VX
03/30/2011, 08:37 PM
Their hold-down kit is pretty cool as well...:yesgray:

Junster
03/30/2011, 09:28 PM
Did you look at the avg. service life? 8 - 10 years. I found them looking for replacement batteries for my boat. I live on a 50' boat in the Columbia river. Quality battery can make the difference between life and death. In a VX? Nothin to good for my baby. lol

PS Thanks for the quick replies. I posted the tnrbatteries site because they had the best price I could find.

deermagnet
03/30/2011, 09:37 PM
I just went and checked mine and it's a 24, which is what the book at the store told me. It's ~10.25" long.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx4/battgroup.gif

If that chart is right and a 27 is over 12" long, I can't see how a 12" battery could possibly fit in my VX. Is anybody using a 12" long battery?

Be careful choosing a size. :sighy:

I checked that Odyssey batt finder and it says the 27 is 10.85" long, so one or the other is wrong.

I just checked for a Diehard 27 and it says it's 12.5" long. So again, be careful here.

Mark

rsteinmetz70112
03/30/2011, 09:52 PM
Diehard 27 and it says it's 12.5" long

That matches 27F so it might be right.

deermagnet
03/30/2011, 10:11 PM
The error on the Odyssey site is just saying it's a group 27. It's really a group 34, which is in the part # and will work fine in a VX. Just a slight glitch, but it could cause confusion. :_confused

Mark

deermagnet
03/30/2011, 10:28 PM
These beat Optima batteries hands down.
From the experience of our own members and a quick search, any ordinary battery beats an Optima! Here's why-

"...When the Swedes owned optima, they paid us well and quality was foremost of all at all cost. JCI is the company that KILLED optima batteries, we always had 99.99 pure lead until JCI bought optima. The first thing they did was: fired all of the on staff scientists, then fired all of the PHD's, then fired the chemists, then dismantled the chemistry lab, then dismantled the prototype lab, then got rid of the pure lead and replaced it with lead with higher tin content, then JCI brought in their genius engineers and re formulated the lead acid paste, then replaced the AGM paper with lower grade paper, ex cetera, ex cetera. All of this was done within the first 2 years of their ownership! We had to fight like hell to prove that what we had when they purchased us was superior to what they had done.
we finally convinced them to begin returning to some of the successful methods Gates had originally designed, but only after making them think that it was their idea. When the U.S. plant shut down, we were using pure lead, similar to original paper and similar paste formula, however, there were many, many other changes they had made in the manufacturing process that negatively affected the optima but produced higher volumes. In my opinion, the Enersys Odyssey is, by far, the very best battery on the market today. I am aware of some of the mfg practices being used specifically on the optima in mexico, and they are not conducive to quality!"

Mark

RickOKC
03/30/2011, 10:38 PM
Hi Junster,

Visit the downloads section (left hand column) and download a copy of the Owners Manual (and the service manual and parts list and....) I use that digital copy much more often than my paper copy!

Junster
04/02/2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the dl, and thanks for the info Deermagnet. I wasn't sure why Optima's had become such troublesome batteries. Now I know.

BeeVenom
04/07/2011, 10:15 AM
This is just my transfer from another current 'battery' thread I was participating in recently.
"You won't be disappointed with the duralast gold (I mean, yello...Ha!).
I had also purchased the Exide 'orbital' for my '04 RumbleBee (yello', of course, too!) and wound up returning it 'dead' less than 12 months later. Only reason I tried it was due to a 'super price' at O'reilly's Auto. Turned out that they are super finicky when it comes to charging. Even had a label on it saying so! I carefully (very carefully, mind you) stuck it on my slow charger after winter storage and the thing crapped out!
Wound up taking it back and got a replacement 'optima' for my truck. Funny thing, O'Reilly's auto stopped carrying the Exide 'orbital' due to problems like mine and gave me the optima to replace it.
So, just a thought to ponder!"
I do hear good things about 'Odyssey' batteries but have no personal experience with them. scott :smilegray