PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this for front cladding replacement?

BlackVXer99
03/29/2011, 09:32 PM
http://www.partsultimate.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=141005

Im pretty sure someone has, because i bookmarked it when it was posted. Ive searched and searched and cant find where that link was posted.

I was in a minor accident and will need my front cladding replaced. The guy at the shop found a few used ones, with the cheapest being $540. I told him not to order it yet because I remembered seeing a new one on here for less $$ (but now i cant find the link..), but he wants to start working on it by Monday.

will also need front right blinker/housing replaced. oy :(

*and i switched to a new bank, will be the newest site supporter once my pay pal is set up/funds cleared. :grinb:

well post pics here of the damage before i drop her off. and also once shes fixed :o

thanks,
any help is appreciated

Grif
03/29/2011, 09:52 PM
Curious. Sorry, never seen that site before. They have rear cladding too evidently. Mine has a ding.

This is relevant to my interests.

VXjunky
03/29/2011, 10:24 PM
thats definitely worth while info....thanks.... someone producing all the cladding (after-market) would be worth knowing about...

Riff Raff
03/30/2011, 01:51 AM
Well, I have personally seen the aftermarket cladding upclose on a friend's VX and it really doesn't match very well. Fellow past member "KeithVXlvr" (see his Photo Gallery) had both front and rear cladding replaced with the same aftermarket cladding by the PO (apparently, after some sort of accident).

The aftermarket cladding is inferior in two ways:

(1). The color/hue of the aftermarket cladding is much darker than the OEM cladding, and you will likely have to re-dye the entire cladding to make it match. For re-dying cladding questions-- please inquire with member VX-KAT.

(2). Most importantly; the aftermarket cladding has a distinct bubbly "grainy texture" to it much like lizard skin, whilst the OEM cladding has a much more smooth non-grainy texture. When using both aftermarket and OEM cladding on the same VX, it is quite apparent to the naked eye that they do not match and screams "Hey, this panel has been replaced!!!"

My personal recommendation is to follow the lead of your Auto Body Repair Shop and find an OEM cladding replacement (not aftermarket). Perhaps you may save a few bucks by buying the aftermarket front cladding piece; but unless you plan on replacing 100% of all cladding with the aftermarket version so that it all match's with its distinct grainy texture, then you will be sadly disappointed in the finished VX and regret your decision. Like they say-- you get what you pay for. You pay cheap, you get cheap.

:bgwb:

tom4bren
03/30/2011, 03:51 AM
Their site is confusing. They list it as remanufactured OEM in 2 places and as new aftermarket in another. Which is it???

Riff Raff
03/30/2011, 05:30 AM
Their site is confusing. They list it as remanufactured OEM in 2 places and as new aftermarket in another. Which is it???

Tom--- In a word; "both". It's kinda' a play on wording. They are manufactured according to OEM fitment specifications so that they fit properly, and are new aftermarket essentially because OEM Isuzu no longer makes the item anymore. In more simpler terms, they are new aftermarket cladding manufactured to OEM fitment specifications. What they DON'T tell you is that the color/hue and surface texture is completely different from OEM cladding.

Still; since the aftermarket version and OEM version do not match identical with the same surface texture (Aftermarket Lizard Skin vs OEM Smooth), the two versions should not be inter-mixed on the same VX. Either go 100% OEM cladding or go 100% Aftermarket cladding all around the entire VX; but never combine both versions, as it is very distracting and a dead giveaway of individual panel replacement.

However, I would say that if a VX owner had later plans to re-paint or re-surface the entire cladding with say LINE-X or another form of grainy texture filling paint; then yes, buying the cheaper aftermarket cladding may help somewhat in that scenario and they could be mix-matched as a sub-base structure/platform. Athough, if the cladding is to remain in its most natural form (unpainted/un-LINE-X'd), then all of the cladding panels should be of the same type/texture.

:bgwb:

tom4bren
03/30/2011, 06:11 AM
Gotcha.

Not sure how the 'remanufactured' part works into that though.

rsteinmetz70112
03/30/2011, 06:59 AM
Is there a definite difference in color? Or was the color difference you observed possibly due to aging of the original cladding?

tom4bren
03/30/2011, 07:31 AM
:_confused

BLUF: The company that makes these parts is in no way associated with Isuzu and probably did not get any information on the part or manufacturing process. They probably just made a mold from an existing part and matched color and texture as best they could.

In the best of circumstances, matching color and texture would be a crap shoot. In our situation it's even worse since we see so much variation between VXs.

Junster
03/30/2011, 09:45 PM
Ok FYI my Dragon goes in the body shop Tuesday cause my brother-in-law backed into the drivers side front. The front fender and ALL the cladding including the hood insert was listed as available OEM.

johnnyapollo
03/30/2011, 09:52 PM
I was wondering about that - last time I talked to Merlin he said that the cladding pieces were still available (I was interested in and ordered the rear - at the time he said there were something like 43 in stock).

-- John

BeeVenom
04/07/2011, 10:28 AM
Stick with OEM! I saw a VX around here in MICH with what appeared to be an aftermarket front bumper cover. It didn't match any other cladding on the vehicross and looked pretty bad, so I'm assuming it was not OEM. Was at a 'walmart' and waited almost an hour for the owner to come out, but never happened. Stick with OEM if available!