PDA

View Full Version : Cladding reseating.

Grif
03/27/2011, 07:55 PM
I had some gimpy, sagging cladding on the passenger side front panel. It appears the nylon "nuts" that the cladding torx screws anchor into had failed and become nearly useless (stripped) due to repeated repositioning trying to get them to hold ok.

I checked the manual and online parts info but could not find a definitive part number for the white plastic nylon "nuts" that the cladding screws thread into.

Getting fed up with it, I came up with my own solution. Got a small box of assorted spring steel "U nuts" or as I call them "steel clip nuts" from Autozone for 6 bux.

These are the type of nuts I used, I'm sure you've seen them before.

http://1dl.us/gAF.jpg

Having only two hands I affixed the new steel nut behind the metal body with gorilla tape then screwed the torx cladding screw into place. Very very secure fit, that thing is not going anywhere!

My only question is by using a metal clip to screw into, am I opening up a portal for corrosion? Isuzu used nylon nuts for a reason, and I suspect that reason may be for rust prevention. By using a spring metal nut I may be inviting premature rust due to the galvanic response of differing metals.

Had I found a suitable nylon nut and used it instead, then galvanic action would not be an issue.

What say you all?

VXjunky
03/27/2011, 08:14 PM
dip em in a rubberized compound first....the type used on tool handles (pliers and such)

IndianaVX
03/27/2011, 08:16 PM
Grainger, mc master, Fastenal .........:)

Grif
03/27/2011, 08:43 PM
Grainger, mc master, Fastenal .........:)

What good is that if you do not know what to look for? There is a Fastenal location just three blocks from me, but if you dont know what to ask for, then asking them is useless.

Grif
03/27/2011, 08:45 PM
dip em in a rubberized compound first....the type used on tool handles (pliers and such)

Good idea, but in my experience those coatings are weak. I may try epoxy coating, but was hoping for an answer whether or not it would even be an issue.

samneil2000
03/28/2011, 09:10 AM
Have them powder coated. :)

tom4bren
03/28/2011, 09:53 AM
Those kind of clips are designed to bite into the metal so I don't think that any kind of coating is going to help at all.

On the other hand, in my limited experience, I've never seen any corrosion associated with the use of those clips.

IMHO - yer done. Best of luck that they hold up to your expectations (they should).

IndianaVX
03/28/2011, 01:25 PM
sorry grif,
wasnt meaning to be a wise guy......hope it didnt come off that way!
you might try, after getting it installed, taping it off, and undercoating the phoo out of it. otherwise, i would say rusting would be minimal, at least in comparison with the underside of the vx, or my vx.
and the clips i have seen like the ones you purchased, have been anodized, parkerized, or something....it just doesnt look like paint, so i guess just keep us updated

tom4bren
03/28/2011, 01:48 PM
That kind of clip does have a strange finish so, yes, the clips themselves will probably rust over time, any spring steel will. The gorilla tape you used may minimize that though.

Grif
03/29/2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your input folx.

T4B: The clips do not cut into the metal at all, because i didnt actually clip it on at all as its length would not fit the position of the hole. It's simply being used as a nut. Not clipped on to the metal or scratching thru the paint. Yes the clip is parkerized or has some such treatment, but never seen one of those types of clips rust ever. I worry about its interaction with the surrounding metal and screw is all.

Prolly being paranoid, but I think I'll remove it, coat it and the surrounding area in a touch of zinc rust stopper stuff, then wrap both sides of the clip in gorilla tape and re-affix. That *should* allay my fears.

tom4bren
03/30/2011, 03:58 AM
Grif - thy name is Max Headroom & your college professor must have been Dr. Overkill.:) The peace of mind should be worth the effort though. Best of luck.

VXjunky
03/30/2011, 08:29 AM
FYI...duct tape IS NOT waterproof....example....those applying it to surfboards (JOKE)...aint gonna stop water from penetrating!....sure its sticky but so are boogers

tom4bren
03/30/2011, 08:56 AM
Actually, it ain't that bad ... as long as the sun/heat don't ruin it.

Grif
03/30/2011, 04:55 PM
Grif - thy name is Max Headroom & your college professor must have been Dr. Overkill.:) The peace of mind should be worth the effort though. Best of luck.

ROFL!!

is it WRONG to luv my VX too much??

Junster
03/30/2011, 08:37 PM
Absolutely Not!! I may have only owned mine for 3 wks but I pat the dash lovingly every time I start her up.

tom4bren
03/31/2011, 06:45 AM
ROFL!!

I have no response to that!

Absolutely Not!! I may have only owned mine for 3 wks but I pat the dash lovingly every time I start her up.

I REALLY have no response to that!!!

rsteinmetz70112
03/31/2011, 09:22 AM

That depends on whether you love your VX or whether you LOOOVE you VX, if you get what I m sayin'

Luna X
03/31/2011, 10:25 AM
human/VX relations.... wouldn't that create a Transformer?