PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Door Lock Issue

mikieg
03/25/2011, 11:57 AM
Suddenly, out of the blue sky, I was unable to open the driver's side door once out of the vehicle, in the "unlocked" position. I left the thing running to go and open the garage door, and when I went to get back inside, I found myself locked out, and no way to get in. The passenger side door was locked, the driver's side door was unlocked, the Vx was sitting in the driveway running, and I was unable to get back in. What a friggin' mess.

The key won't open it, the FOB won't open it - now, the driver's side door will only open from the inside.

Anyone have this problem before?

Thanx in advance for your help. mikieg

RickOKC
03/25/2011, 12:09 PM
The plastic clip that attaches the linkage rod to the door handle might have come loose or broke. The green plastic clip below the "1" in this photo (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19539) shows an example. The clip rotates onto the linkage and snaps into place.

In the case of the exterior handle, the clip is located near the handle and may not be green.

Scott Harness
03/25/2011, 12:24 PM
Mine won't open now,on mine it's the outdoor linkage,not the white plastic piece on the indoor latch.
Fixed it once,but came loose again.
It's hard to get to.Ithink the window has to come out for easy access

Riff Raff
03/25/2011, 12:25 PM
Is your VX still running in the driveway??? If so, try to create a blockage in the exhaust pipe to shut off the engine (potato, rag, stuffed-up the tailpipe etc). Do you have a spare key in the house to use??? If so, first saturate both door key holes with WD-40 and see if that helps while workig the lock back-n-forth. Are you able to enter the VX through the rear door with your spare key??? Replace the small battery in your key fob and see if that helps. Once you get into your VX, disconnect the VX's battery overnight and do a computer reset. Reconnect the battery in the morning and try again.

Next time; if you ever leave your VX running for a moment (to open garage door), never allow your door to latch. Either leave door fully wide open (be careful if windy, as the wind may blow door shut), or barely leave door cracked-open with your fingers without being latched. Never allow the door to latch while the VX is running at any time (gremlins). Hope this info helps in some way.

:luck:

mikieg
03/25/2011, 12:38 PM
Hi RickOKC - Thanx...but would it not be #2, exterior door handle? That's the handle that quit working. Even in unlock, handle simply pulls up but does not open door.

Thanx again.

Oh - yes - I was able to get inside and get the thing back in the garage.

mikieg
03/25/2011, 12:40 PM
Hi RickOKC - Ignore the last brain-dead question...

Do I need to take the door panel off to get tht external handle linkage?

Thanx again.

mikieg

MSHardeman
03/25/2011, 12:43 PM
This happened to me a few years ago, and the little clip was still available from Merlin at the time. I seem to remember that the clip I needed to replace was purple in color. Of course my mind is like a rusted steel trap now and I might be mis-remembering. I would need to see the mechanism in place to say what needs to be replaced. If you have the time I was planning on removing my door panel tonight anyway, and I could take a picture of what's going on in there for you.

RickOKC
03/25/2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, you'll have to take the interior panel off. BE CAREFUL! It's easy to break the clips on the black armrest that houses the window switches. There is 1 screw in the interior door handle and two more behind the armrest. Like Scott said, you may have to remove the window.

If you're not doing this right now, I may have some photos from when I replaced the entire lock mechanism and they probably show a view of the clip in place. I can post them in a few hours.

RickOKC
03/25/2011, 12:56 PM
I seem to remember that the clip I needed to replace was purple in color.
I couldn't remember either so I didn't state the color! Purple sounds right, but another one was tan or brown.

mikieg
03/25/2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Rick and MS - Thanx so much for all of your help...greatly appreciated.

Not doing this now...so no hurry...if you want to send me any photos, feel free to email me at mgyda@comcast.net

Thanx again for your very generous help!

mikie g

VX KAT
03/25/2011, 01:40 PM
Don't know if it helps at all, but I have these pics of Tim (from SBC) removing my glass...thought seeing the angle might help you.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/DSCN0816.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/DSCN0822.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/DSCN0799.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/DSCN0798.jpg

RickOKC
03/25/2011, 03:59 PM
This is the view from the interior looking up. The brown clip is the connection to the door handle and the yellow is the key lock. The linkage going up to the upper left corner is the interior manual lock knob.

http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/DoorHandle1.jpg

This view is looking down through the gap at the top of the door.

http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/DoorHandle2.jpg

VX Kat's photos of the window reminded me that it would be a good idea to use a sharpie or tape to mark some points on the window to make sure you re-install it in the same position. Also note you may have a few washers on each side of the window - make sure you remember where they are located. This may only apply if you have the aftermarket window channel - I dunno.

MSHardeman
03/25/2011, 04:31 PM
OK, so the little clip to the door handle is brown instead of purple....told you my memory weren't so good.:rolleyes:

VXjunky
03/25/2011, 05:04 PM
definitely try the WD40 first i the keyhole before tearing into the door itself...as Riff suggested

RickOKC
03/25/2011, 07:13 PM
OK, so the little clip to the door handle is brown instead of purple....told you my memory weren't so good.:rolleyes:
When did you say it was purple? :bwgy:

mikieg
03/26/2011, 10:13 AM
Thanx again to everyone for your concern and your willingness to help!

I truly, truly appreciate it, and it will make this job much easier...if that's at all possible when taking a door apart.

Will try the WD-40 first, but I doubt that will fix anything, since when one pulls the door handle, there is no resistance of any kind.
Thanx again all!!! mikie g

circmand
03/26/2011, 10:33 AM
Thanx again to everyone for your concern and your willingness to help!

I truly, truly appreciate it, and it will make this job much easier...if that's at all possible when taking a door apart.

Will try the WD-40 first, but I doubt that will fix anything, since when one pulls the door handle, there is no resistance of any kind.
Thanx again all!!! mikie g

Something broke or disconnected inside the door.

MSHardeman
03/26/2011, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't sweat taking the door panel off. It's super easy to do, just take your time and be careful so you don't break any clips. The interior handle (with the window switches) is held in by a spring clip at the front of the handle and lifts up and out of the way fairly easily, then disconnect the wires to the locks and switches. There is one (maybe two) phillips head screws to unscrew and then the rest of the panel is held in by more spring clips so it should just pop right off. The one thing I can't remember is if you have to take the tweeter cover off to get it out of the way. If you do, there is a little plastic "door" that hides a screw and that comes right off.

Mile High VX
03/26/2011, 08:19 PM
Two screws behind the switch panel and 1 at the interior door handle. Be careful when you slide to interior handle through the door panel to get it out of the way.

You will need to remove the tweeter cover.

Like Mark said, then the rest is just clips and be careful and you'll have no problems.

You should lube the window tracks good while your in there with some spray type silicon spray...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb: