PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light...

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 09:39 AM
Came on at 14970 miles... just the 15000 service reminder right? :mbrasd:

AREA 51
09/16/2003, 10:48 AM
Doubtful. See if Pepboys will pull the code(s) for free or cheap.

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 12:08 PM
great:(

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 12:11 PM
i know in a lot of cars the check engine light comes on at regular intervals to remind u that you're in need of regular service. usually the O2 filter sets it off. anyone else?

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 02:38 PM
Just got back from AutoZone.. hooked up their diagnostic machine to the computer under the dash and it said "emission system malfunction". The guy said it was one of those vague codes that doesn't really pinpoint the problem, but said it should get checked out within a week.

one problem... nearest isuzu dealership is about an hour and a half from me:( gonna call the nearest one in a few and see if Isuzu will foot the bill for repair work done locally.

anyone else ever gotten this code? this sucks... not even 15k miles on this thing... only driven it for like 500 and already a problem!:waab: :madr2:

Anita
09/16/2003, 04:01 PM
Check this search function thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=709&highlight=gas+cap+and+code

It just may mean your gas cap wasnt on properly...

Heraclid
09/16/2003, 04:06 PM
Anita, I was about to say the same thing but ya beat me to it. :-) But would it throw that code? I guess... oh, duh... okay... just read the link... :-)

Tone
09/16/2003, 04:11 PM
Reset it and see if it comes back.

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 08:05 PM
ok i was hoping i wouldnt have to admit it but... over the weekend i filled up the gas tank... i'm used to my old Camry that had the gas cap ATTACHED to the vehicle via an indestructible piece of plastic...

SCUDD recommended that i check the cap, as it might not be tight enough.. sure as sh*t i walked out to the truck, opened the fuel door, and no gas cap;eekr; ...

needless to say i stopped at NAPA and bought one and remedied the situation. but the light didnt come on until after I put about 100 miles on that particular tank of gas.

went to AutoZone and they hooked it up (for free:)) and checked the code...

"Emission Control System Malfunction"

ideas? my own stupid fault? reset it?

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 08:12 PM
FYI according to my fuel gauge i'm in between 1/2 & 3/4 tank, but according to my MPG, i'm right at about half a tank... just a note in reference to that other thread...

how does the system know when the gas cap is loose? or in my case nonexistent:rolleyes:

SGT.BATGUANO
09/16/2003, 11:00 PM
I think it was Andy 454 who posted that the computer pressurizes the system at intervals to check for leaks. I also thought you don't have to reset the computer, as it will drop that code after a number of starts with the cap tightened. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Anita
09/16/2003, 11:19 PM
try filling the tank (why not?)... securely fastening the cap, then disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the computer.

Then see if your VX throws the code again.

ScubaSteve
09/17/2003, 03:20 AM
well like I said i replaced the gas cap on the way home from work yesterday.

no need to reset the code, as this morning my check engine light went off on its own:)
;party: :dance:

Ice Cream Man
10/07/2003, 03:59 PM
MINE CAME ON ONCE BECAUSE I HAD NOT TIGHTENED THE GAS CAP TIGHTLY ENOUGH,(THE CAP RETAINER LINE GOT UNDER THE CAP EDGE, COULD NOT SEAL) THIS SUPPOSEDLY CAUSED THE EMISSION NOTICE DEAL. TOOK A DAY OR TWO DRIVING FOR THE LIGHT TO COME ON. DEALER SHUT IT OFF (NOT FOR FREE, OF COURSE)

itsaysjack
10/07/2003, 04:07 PM
gas cap, that's where i put my money......make sure you here it click like 1,000 times after you fill up (just kidding 3-4 clicks)