PDA

View Full Version : Help! Inspection failing due to oversized tires...

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 07:45 AM
Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe TEMPORARY fender flare extenders or SOMETHING that i can stick on there just for the inspection? I've got MAK wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, so they stick out about 1" past the cladding.

Also, i know I could just find a diff set of tires for the inspection but haven't been able to yet. Will the tires on a 02 Ford F150 sport work?:confused:

WormGod
09/16/2003, 08:09 AM
Are those the same tires/wheels that were on it when you got it from SCUDD? If so, them puppies are wide.

Wish I could help ya out though. I JUST sold my stock wheels and tires. Sorry mate. :(

TDAWG
09/16/2003, 08:51 AM
Hey ScubaSteve,
Maybe some one near you can lend you their stock wheels and tires for the inspection. I'm prety sure there is someone here that can look out for a fellow VX brother in need.

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 10:00 AM
Yeah its SCUDD's old VX... i shudder at the mere thought of putting these on my truck http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=5784&BQ=jcw2 but sadly i just ordered them...

now to get some TEMPORARY 3M tape:)

AlaskaVX
09/16/2003, 10:21 AM
What kind of inspection is this? I have never heard of any car failing due to having oversize tires. I mean isn't that nearly everyones first mod to their car? Man, if that rule/law was in Alaska everyone would fail!

Dallas4u
09/16/2003, 11:11 AM
I have seen some big-***** F250/350's running around town, and I tell YOU what... if yours doesn't pass inspection, there is no way in HELL these things would!!!

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 11:57 AM
the local 5-0 doesn't really enforce it, but MD state law says that the tired can't stick out past the wheel wells.. i guess they could toss rocks up at other cars. mine stick out 1" or so on each side...

anyway, i've found another alternative.

johnnyapollo
09/16/2003, 12:05 PM
I know I've faced limitations on bumper height at military bases, where the bumper has to be x number of inches from the ground. I think that can be an issue in some states/municipalities as well.

Also, sounds like the wheels you are using are wider than 7"?

-- John

ScubaSteve
09/16/2003, 12:17 PM
um yeah a little:rolleyes:

the reason you have to be so many inches from the curb is because the INTENTION is that if you hit a pedestrian they'll be "scooped up" onto the hood and not obliterated by your front end...

AlaskaVX
09/16/2003, 12:29 PM
That seems like some real BS to me! The only restrictions in AK is the height of your headlights. It seems that nearly every truck up here has tires that stick more than an inch out, more like 4"!

WormGod
09/16/2003, 03:38 PM
When I traded in my Rodeo, they knocked off the trade in value because my Mickey T's stuck out an inch from the wells. Said they would have to swap out the wheels and tires in order to pass it through inspection and sell it. Ya, total BS, but unfortunately, old, rich, white men make our laws, and their Cadillacs don't look as good as our VX's.

In all honesty, the reason for this law is road debris. Especially in rain. With tires that stick out, you create a rooster tail with the rain, and that washes onto following cars. In areas like DC and other cities, automobile population that ranks high means that the area will have even stricter automobile laws. Goes with the territory I guess.

I remember back when I first got my liscence, I had a truck that had no mudflaps. To pass inspection, I had to put mudflaps on it for this very reason. The mudflap law has since changed with the popularity of SUVs.

Tomorrow, it will be something different.

Heraclid
09/16/2003, 04:01 PM
Yeah, we used to have that crap here in FL for a while. They did away with vehicle inspections a few years ago and I sure don't miss it much either. :-)

SPAZZ
09/16/2003, 05:53 PM
Next thing you know...we will all be driving Mini's.......with the way car manufacturs are building lowriders these days and more to come in the future:mad:

newthings
09/16/2003, 06:40 PM
Steve,
I am in california. What kind of inspection is this? What agency? Cops can ticket you for out sticking tires and you have to pass an "inspecton" to clear the ticket, but I do not know of inspections other than the 2 year smog check.
Roy

paultvx
09/16/2003, 07:50 PM
Why not go to the inspection first and see what happens before you sweat over it? Might save you some hassle for now.

ScubaSteve
09/17/2003, 03:29 AM
this is a Maryland State inspection... you must have one in order to buy/sell a vehicle, and the inspection is only valid for i believe 60 days.

further, the state authorizes certain "mechanics" (con artists) to rip you a new one every time you have to get a vehicle inspected.

and FYI i've been to THREE different inspection places and the FIRST thing they say is "dem tars too beeg <spit>"...

Navigator
09/17/2003, 06:22 AM
the location under your name tag had me thinking you were from California, go figure :D Anyways, the tires are fine, problem is your fenders are too narrow :naughty: You should be OK with the fender extenders you ordered. Good Luck :)