PDA

View Full Version : vx half shafts

raver_boi_88
03/12/2011, 09:54 AM
I need to find the front left cv shaft for my vx, I can find the right front all day long. Does anyone know if they still make them? I know rcv makes them but they are god awefully expensive. My step father was digging around in my garage about a month ago and decided he was gonna clean while he was in there and he threw away my cv shafts... yep... I know... So like I said I have the right side, its a cardone, but I need to find the left side. Does anyone know if the trooper axles will fit our vx?

edit: I have the green cups for both sides, I just need the cv assembly itself...

Triathlete
03/12/2011, 01:23 PM
Empi makes them and you can get them on amazon

Ebenezr
03/12/2011, 05:33 PM
It is the same shaft unless you have a tripod style on the right like mine. You can find complete shafts and half shafts at many places and they are 60-90$ cheap. Carpartswholesale.com is one. The last shaft I ordered on Ebay for less than 60. Also search trooper shafts they are identical. The last one I ordered actually was a full shaft I ordered for a trooper expecting it to fit my VX and it did.

Triathlete
03/12/2011, 08:22 PM
If you are using the existing cups then the shafts are identical.

Cris
03/13/2011, 01:35 AM
Buy new complete ones at auto zone

tom4bren
03/15/2011, 05:01 AM
If (when) I ever get my spare set back from RCV, I'll make them available here. They'll need new BBs, clips & boots but IIRC the rest of the assemblies were still there.

(You have no idea how difficult that was to type without making it sound dirty.)

nfpgasmask
07/21/2011, 09:51 PM
The the complete shaft with soup can is identical on both sides?

Bart

Triathlete
07/21/2011, 09:53 PM
from the green cup to the hub...yes.

nfpgasmask
07/21/2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Billy, so technically, you could buy two "right side" shafts and be ok.

Bart

VXorado
07/22/2011, 01:28 AM
As Billy said, the haft shafts are the same size on both sides and compatible as 95+ trooper CVs. The jack shaft (inner axle shaft with green cup) are different and as far as I know impossible to find the left side aftermarket.

On a side note, don't buy the complete EMPI CVS, only buy the EMPI without the cup. They use Tripod joints on the cup rather than rzeppa joints and they do bind badly when the suspension travels.

VXorado
07/22/2011, 01:34 AM
raver_boi_88, I spend a lot of time in C.S. visiting my family if you need help sometime. CVs can be a pain to deal with.

MSHardeman
07/22/2011, 07:46 AM
When I had my drivers side inner CV issue BigMeatVX (Alan) helped me source out ALL of the parts from EMPI so there is a way to completely rebuild your VX front axle with aftermarket parts from the pumpkin (third member) all the way out to the wheels. If anyone is interested I can try and dig up the part numbers for everything.

I, eventually, found a VX front axle in a salvage yard and had them ship it out to me so I didin't do the aftermarket parts and can't attest to their durability or functionality.

nfpgasmask
07/22/2011, 08:59 AM
Well, my inner boots are still together, and hopefully, my outer CVs will clean up good and still be ok with just new grease and boots. I don't think they have been cracked for very long, as I just noticed the sprayed grease all over my wheel wells. I bet they broke on 4th of July when I took the VX off road to a mountain top to watch the fireworks, so its only been a couple weeks. There's no clicking or anything at this point, so as soon as I get the boot kit I will repair them. I also have to pull everything out to the pumpkin to replace my axle seals. I will tackle this whole job after I get the boot kit.

Thanks - Bart

VXorado
07/22/2011, 12:26 PM
When I had my drivers side inner CV issue BigMeatVX (Alan) helped me source out ALL of the parts from EMPI so there is a way to completely rebuild your VX front axle with aftermarket parts from the pumpkin (third member) all the way out to the wheels. If anyone is interested I can try and dig up the part numbers for everything.

I, eventually, found a VX front axle in a salvage yard and had them ship it out to me so I didin't do the aftermarket parts and can't attest to their durability or functionality.

You are correct sir!!!!!

You can buy the left, longer inner "jack shaft" axle from EMPI if you search for pre 95 Trooper model CVs. The older Troopers are more narrow, so you then need to purchase a 95+ trooper CV to get the right half shaft length. Since you need to buy the full half shaft+jack shaft setup to get the left inner, it will come in tripod style. This was exactly what I did when I replaced my front end last January and I am now going back to OEM jack shafts to prevent all the front end binding.