PDA

View Full Version : Racing Cam

D-19
03/11/2011, 04:01 PM
Might need a new cam soon, does anyone know if they (you know, "them") make a racing cam for the VX, if I hafta swap out a cam I might as well swap to something that will give me more go right? Haven't found anyone who does myself but I figured this would be a good place to start

Bob Barker
03/11/2011, 06:54 PM
I'm too lazy to go look at my own engine, but I believe the vx is an overhead cam, which means it has two cams. Either way, I've not heard of anyone who makes any performance parts for our engines internally, at all.

Triathlete
03/11/2011, 09:04 PM
There are a few threads floating around here about an Australian company that makes pistons, cranks and I believe cams for the 3.5. I don't think it is high performance per say but stronger for bigger hoursepower applications (blowers, turbos, etc).

D-19
03/12/2011, 06:03 PM
0.o that's a start, i'm having a hard time finding stock parts as well. Might hit up Merlin if I need too, If he's still around

Triathlete
03/12/2011, 08:09 PM
I must be tired...cant figure out how to delete this

Mile High VX
03/12/2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.hpheaven.com.au/store/parts-accessories/info/662/hph-6ve1-race-prepped-block/?no_gst=1&cat1=25&catid=0&page=1

Cris
03/13/2011, 01:33 AM
Good luck with that. I first would want to figure out how to make the trans stronger they have trouble keeping up with a blower that puts out a little more than a factory one.

Robbomaz
03/15/2011, 12:41 PM
There are a few threads floating around here about an Australian company that makes pistons, cranks and I believe cams for the 3.5. I don't think it is high performance per say but stronger for bigger hoursepower applications (blowers, turbos, etc).
Ivan Tighe made some for Holden a few years ago but I have called them several times (on the keep asking till you get the answer you want principle) and they do not list them, sell them or have any information on them.
Pity, as they were commissioned by an actual car company race division I would think that they would have been a very effective profile with good drivability as well.....possibly all the info had to be returned to Holden...no profile info means no replicas :(

Triathlete
03/15/2011, 03:05 PM
Ivan Tighe made some for Holden a few years ago but I have called them several times (on the keep asking till you get the answer you want principle) and they do not list them, sell them or have any information on them.
Pity, as they were commissioned by an actual car company race division I would think that they would have been a very effective profile with good drivability as well.....possibly all the info had to be returned to Holden...no profile info means no replicas :(

HPHeaven was the one I was thinking of. As far as the IT stuff I would assume the race car company probably had a clause with them that the parts were for their eyes/use only to prevent the competition from getting "their" advantage.

Cris...I would dare to guess that the majority of super charged VX owners are on this site. That said I have yet to hear of any tranny failures that had to do with the extra ponies.

Ldub
03/15/2011, 07:46 PM
FWIW...be advised that the VX 3.5L (6VE1) is a quad cam (http://www.myisuzuparts.com/images/Vehicross/Thumbs/0-14a.gif). Do some research by finding any of the timing belt "how to's"...:yesgray:

In the "how to" section...

Right sidebar...

:_wrench:

http://www.myisuzuparts.com/index.php

BigSwede
03/16/2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, sort of...Dual overhead cam split by a V configuration does indeed make for 4 camshafts...

Hotsauce
03/16/2011, 04:36 PM
Between cams, new followers, the fuel system you'll need to support it, and the cost to pay someone to map it for you, its going to cost you about $5k done.

You will also need long tube headers and real exhaust system.

John C.

Robbomaz
03/24/2011, 07:41 PM
Meh. Just supercharge it :bwgy:

Robbomaz
03/24/2011, 07:47 PM
HPHeaven was the one I was thinking of. As far as the IT stuff I would assume the race car company probably had a clause with them that the parts were for their eyes/use only to prevent the competition from getting "their" advantage.

Cris...I would dare to guess that the majority of super charged VX owners are on this site. That said I have yet to hear of any tranny failures that had to do with the extra ponies.
HSV built some 3.5 engined cars for the Round Australia which had the IT cams and (hearsay has it) 280hp.
A lot of mods go into those 'showroom' racers though :bwgy:
The latest one the Holden Colorados (Soozoo Dmax rebadged) had IRS grafted in...and LS1...and Holinger :bwgy: