PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sunroof?

ScubaSteve
09/15/2003, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking about putting a sunroof in my 01 VX but running along the roof from the rearview mirror to the center dome light are these ripples where i imagine run the wires for lighting the dome & RV mirror reading lamps...

so i wonder.. i've seen SMALL sunroofs on some other SUV - i think it was over the land/range rover type - where there's actually two small sunroofs. one above the driver & one above the passenger. anyone familiar with what i'm talkin' about.

Dallas4u
09/15/2003, 11:50 AM
Yeah, the Discovery has a sunroof in the front and rear. I would think doing this in the VX would weaken the roof considerably, but I could be wrong.

Tone
09/15/2003, 12:56 PM
Ripples make it not doable according to the installers I have talked to - trim ring needs to seal on flat metal.

Sunroofs actually increase the strength of the roof since their frames are thicker than the steel they replace and actually tie into the support beams already in the roof, strengthening them. Similar to the reason roll bars are made of hollow tubing instead of solid bar.

IsuZOOM
09/15/2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Tone
Sunroofs actually increase the strength of the roof Perhaps in theory, but I've had sunroofs added to 3 different vehicles and it always seemed to make the car less solid. More creaks, seemingly more flex, etc. All done by ASC

MrCrowley
09/15/2003, 02:58 PM
I think we should all try to support someone who can figure out a way to get a Trooper sunroof installed. Have you seen one? If not go ahead and find one to browse- IT IS HUUUUUUGE! Ill get measurements and post them tomorrow. I love driving my Trooper in the fall solely because of the windows down and massive sunroof open.

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/15/2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ScubaSteve

so i wonder.. i've seen SMALL sunroofs on some other SUV - i think it was over the land/range rover type - where there's actually two small sunroofs. one above the driver & one above the passenger. anyone familiar with what i'm talkin' about.

Inalfa roof by Donmar:

http://www.autobahncustom.com/sunroofs/popup/

*NYC #1 IronMan posted this web address in a thread titled "t-tops".

Tone
09/15/2003, 05:26 PM
There is a physical side to side measurement that cannot be exceeded without cutting into the double thickness structural A and/or B pillars. The wide Hollandia’s that many of us have is the max and many won’t even install them because of the extra trimming of the plastic roof rails. That is if you care about keeping the vehicle safe... Professional installers will not bend the rules just to make something fit.