PDA

View Full Version : K&N oil filter part number

Triathlete
09/15/2003, 09:54 AM
I have been using the K&N oil filters since my first oil change. Just thought I'd throw the part # out to everyone in case you are interested.
K&N oil filter part# HP1004 is the correct one for replacement in all Vehicross's

deldorado
09/15/2003, 10:40 AM
What kind of Gas Milage are you getting with the K & N? I am going to replace my Air Filter and am considering several options.

Anybody using anything that gets good milage? I live in NC have a 99 Silver VX and get about 16.5 MPG in the City and 19.8 on the Highway. I use Amocco 87 and Full Synthetic oil.

SPAZZ
09/15/2003, 05:45 PM
I also use the K & N OIL Filter...not sure if it helps...but maybe it will for like $10 a pop

Dallas4u
10/03/2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Triathlete
K&N oil filter part# HP1004 is the correct one for replacement in all Vehicross's

I did a cross reference with the AMSoil larger oil filter part # SDF-36 with the K&N parts line, and it looks like the larger K&N HP-1006 filter should fit the VX as well. The AMSoil SDF-36 filter fits the '96 Ford Probe (4 and 6cyl). Referencing that info with the K&N filters, and it comes up with the HP-1006 for both Probe 4 and 6cyls as well. In theory, if the SDF-36 fits the VX and '96 Probe, then the HP-1006 should fit as well.

It is just another larger oil filter option.

Virus-VX
10/03/2003, 05:45 PM
Just my 2c.
K&N oil filter has higher flow rates (around 12-16 gpm depending on filter size) but has much less filtration capability than such filters as Mobil1, BOSCH, Purolator PureONE. Technically K&N oil filter has been constructed for high performance automotive engines. The Mobile1 oil filter, as an example, has almost equal to K&N flow rate but much better filtration.

I used to use K&N oil filter in my Jeep and one day I realized that I'm wasting my money. I switched to Purolator PureONE and I'm very happy with this filter. Has also anti-drainback valve and available everywhere.

Dallas4u
10/04/2003, 01:25 AM
From the NTPOG.org (North Texas Prelude Owners Group)

Oil filters review (http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml)

1. The Mobil 1 oil filter is well constructed and a decent filter. Unfortunately, I'm not been able to get my hands on a stock spec'ed Mobil 1 filter (but have taken apart a few oversized ones). However, I have been able to discern that it's made on the same line as the K&N filter, but will a media that is slightly better at filtration. Based on testing by others I still think this is a really good filter.

2. The AMSOIL SDF-20 filter is well constructed and lab tests show that it's an excellent filter. At 6350 miles this filter was able to generate the above lab test report and show that 10w40 oil in an H22A4 causes no problems. On the other hand, it's big brother the SDF-44 did not filter oil well at 13,000 miles. Proving that an oversized filter is not always a good thing when it comes to filtration.

3. The K&N HP-1004 is a great filter. The internal construction is the same as the Mobil 1 filter, but it does not filter the down to as small a particle size. This filter is meant to maintain higher flow while still actively filtering, as opposed to by-passing. Lab tests using Mobil 1 at 7500 miles indicates that this filter works as well as the AMSOIL SDF-20.

4.The FRAM x2 (and only the FRAM x2 Series) is probably the most heavily constructed filter I've seen so far. Though all of the Japanese made filters were of exceptional quality, the Fram x2 was as good in every way. Of note with the construction were the following features: metal screen backing the media, heavy metal end caps (all other Fram filters have cardboard), and 2 layer filter medium. Lab testing indicates this filter is fine at 5000 miles use with Mobil 1. As with all of the Fram filters and OEM Honda oil filters the x2 uses the standard spring loaded plastic by-pass valve that many people do not like. However, lab tests do not indicate that the valve jams or fails to work. It's possible that a hard enough impact at a sharp angle while the filter was by-passing might cause it to jam open, but I suspect the fluid within the filter would prevent this.

* What Not To Use: Bosch, STP, and Wal-Mart Supertech
While both the STP and the Bosch filters were at one point good filters, they are now manufactured off shore of sub-standard parts. The filter assemblies tended not to have even pleats and generally less media than other comparable filters. There was also a complete lack of a well functioning by-pass valve. With most filters there is an obvious and discrete by-pass valve, but with these filters the can spring and the by-pass valve are the same. The real issue is that in order for the filter to properly by-pass the entire filter assembly would have to move down during use. That is actually not possible with filter assembly properly seating into the anti-drain back valve. This means that the by-pass will effectively never work. In the center of the of picture below you see the filter assembly (top) and the can spring/by-pass valve (bottom). (The can spring / by-pass valve would flip over and into the filter assembly.)

Virus-VX
10/04/2003, 10:42 AM
- Amsoil oil filters @ $10.45 each + $5.00 shipping

- Mobil1 oil filter - $12 ... OUCH! .... and as far as I know available only at AutoZone store (but I'm not sure. Maybe even somewhere else).

- K&N Performance Gold oil filter – from $8.99 and up.

- Purolator PureONE oil filter ~ $3 - $4 and available everywhere. Per Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) tests the PureONE is the top ranked filter among all leading brands.

How often do you change your filter? Paying that much per filter doesn't seem to make any sense. Like the debate about longevity of synthetics and then changing at 3k intervals, I can't see using a super filter and changing it at normal intervals either. If you are going long periods with it, that may be another story. I would say stick with one of the cheaper but good filters because the more expensive filter won't do any better than the cheap ones in this service cycle of 3,000-5000 miles. IMHO